Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

over qualified and too smart looking........

sdag2495_1024x.jpg

Archi Manton is on the Western Jets NAB League list for 2019:

https://nableague.com.au/season-preview-western-jets-boys-2019/
Archi Manton (18yo, Williamstown CYMS): Son of former AFL player Glenn Manton – 21 games for Essendon/157 for Carlton.
Has the old man's shoulders, nice size at 194 and 91
What's actually happening with Oskar this season? He was supposed to be doing a pre-season with Northern... did he not make the squad?

Getting info right now is like pulling teeth as the official channels have gone dark 1 week out from R1 games... and we've still got no info about this NAB League app?

What's actually happening with Oskar this season? He was supposed to be doing a pre-season with Northern... did he not make the squad?

Getting info right now is like pulling teeth as the official channels have gone dark 1 week out from R1 games... and we've still got no info about this NAB League app?

I recall last season Glen saying that Oscar would play TAC cup again this year.

I recall last season Glen saying that Oscar would play TAC cup again this year.
This was my understanding too. It was felt that it would be best for him to have another year in the now NAB League U18 competition as a top age player. He was coming from a fair way back when he joined the Western Jets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will hit the wall after a few games, you'd suspect. Sounds like we'll pick him up either way.
We'll see, Jimmae. We don't know what his fitness levels are like and how it impacts his style of play at the moment. I'm hopeful given the bloodlines and the fact that he seems a likely type but he still has to continue to show that he's up to it and it would depend on where a bid would come. It's those kind of middling bids where it starts to get a bit tricky.

There was a fox sports article last week or so that Andy McKay's son is playing TAC cup this year.

We'll see, Jimmae. We don't know what his fitness levels are like and how it impacts his style of play at the moment. I'm hopeful given the bloodlines and the fact that he seems a likely type but he still has to continue to show that he's up to it and it would depend on where a bid would come. It's those kind of middling bids where it starts to get a bit tricky.
NBA players generally cover around 25-30% of the distance on court compared to AFL players, and I'm sure the numbers are similar for high-level junior athletes.

Maybe that spikes up to 40% as a KPP in the AFL, but It's a big change from what is a pure power sport in comparison.

EDIT: mucked up my wording above, it's something like 3-5 km in the NBA, versus 12-18 km in the AFL (albeit NBA players probably manage to play twice per week).

Just to confirm, this kid is draft eligible this year and didn't play TAC cup last year?
;)

Last edited:
I would love to see a Minton-Connell back in Blue, i remember always noticing Simon when he played for Sydney, i was very young and didn't even know he had played for us, watched some highlights of his time with us, he had a lot of talent.

Looking at his stats though, it seemed he never reached his potential.

Does anyone have any insights as to why or was he never actually any good?

I would love to see a Minton-Connell back in Blue, i remember always noticing Simon when he played for Sydney, i was very young and didn't even know he had played for us, watched some highlights of his time with us, he had a lot of talent.

Looking at his stats though, it seemed he never reached his potential.

Let’s get him and then trade him for another Greg Williams!
Very lazy footballer and bad attitude to training but buckets of natural talent, also Paul Hudson’s cousin.

I wasn’t happy when we traded him for Diesel(!), but it turned out he was one of those players that dominates at VFL level, but isn’t good enough for AFL. Great kick for goal, but purely a lead-up type.

Bulldogs persisted with him for ages (and James Cook), much to their frustration. Teased plenty, but never really delivered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back