Prediction Carlton Consensus Best 22 (RESULTS ARE IN)

Who should take the final spot in our Consensus Best 22 for 2017? (PICK FOUR)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
On skimming through a few other forums, I noticed that the Dogs had a 'Consensus' Best 22 for 2017 - a great idea (props to Dannnnnnnnnn in this regard) I thought we could borrow to find out what our Best 22 would be as voted by us.

Lets take a look at our Round 23, 2016 Lineup as a basis, with a few injured omissions added due to their best 22 nature and basing it partly of senior games played across the year:

2016 Lineup
FB: Kade Simpson - Sam Rowe - Jacob Weitering
HB: Zach Tuohy - Simon White - Sam Docherty
C: Marc Murphy - Patrick Cripps - Dale Thomas
HF: Liam Sumner - Andrew Walker - Matthew Wright
FF: Jed Lamb - Levi Casboult - Jack Silvagni
R: Matthew Kreuzer - Bryce Gibbs - Ed Curnow
I: Andrew Phillips - Sam Kerridge - Lachie Plowman - Dennis Armfield

So what would our optimal Best possible 22 look like, on the assumption all players were fit?

Consensus 2017 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (83) - Caleb Marchbank (93) - Lachie Plowman (101)
HB: Sam Docherty (108) - Jacob Weitering (106) - Kade Simpson (101)
C: Marc Murphy (119) - Ed Curnow (102) - Sam Petrevski-Seton (60)
HF: Charlie Curnow (107) - Harry McKay (93) - Jack Silvagni (117)
FF: Liam Sumner (69) - Levi Casboult (73) - Matthew Wright (80)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (83) - Bryce Gibbs (120) - Patrick Cripps (120)
I: Sam Rowe (38) - Rhys Palmer (26) - Jarrod Pickett (65) - David Cuningham (49)
Emg: Sam Kerridge (34) - Dennis Armfield (32) - Andrew Phillips (31)
The first official Carlton Best 22 Consensus is complete! Not bad at all, but unlucky for Daisy and Simon White who are (and will likely) still a part of the senior squad rotation, but damning after the recruit of so many gun kids. Crazy that we've also voted in FIVE players yet to debut for Carlton and THREE who've yet to play an AFL game, period (SPS, McKay and Pickett).

What do you think? Did we do okay? Who's stiff to miss out or lucky to have made the cut?

How it worked
1. Will vote for 6 best backs (starters), 7th player gets bench spot (108 votes - complete)
2. Will vote for 6 starting mids (inc. ruck), next best mid gets bench spot (120 votes - complete)
3. Will vote for 6 starting forwards, 7th player gets bench spot (117 votes - complete)
4. Remaining interchange position (22nd spot) will be open slather depending on team mix, next three players make up emergencies (76 votes - complete)

Last edited:

Given we tend to operate 7 in defence, the poll seems a little redundant.

Early on, Simmo will be in a deeper role than we'd like, but once Byrne and Sheehan are up and running, that changes a bit (as does Docherty's role).

Look for Ed Curnow, Murphy, Gibbs and Kerridge to offer support early on.

Given we tend to operate 7 in defence, the poll seems a little redundant.

Early on, Simmo will be in a deeper role than we'd like, but once Byrne and Sheehan are up and running, that changes a bit (as does Docherty's role).

Look for Ed Curnow, Murphy, Gibbs and Kerridge to offer support early on.
If Tuohys replacement is Byrne, then the most talented 6 are:
Simmo Marchbank Plowman
Doc Weitering Byrne
Lots if run and high class in that group.

Hopefully these guys work well as a team so we do not need specific match ups such as Rowe for the gorilla forwards.
I expect Buckley, Sheehan, Rowe and white may all get a game or three due to injuries/poor form of others/etc.
Really would like to see Williamson, Macreadie, KJ and JGM force their way in to the rotations with some strong VFL performances.

If Tuohys replacement is Byrne, then the most talented 6 are:
Simmo Marchbank Plowman
Doc Weitering Byrne
Lots if run and high class in that group.

Hopefully these guys work well as a team so we do not need specific match ups such as Rowe for the gorilla forwards.
I expect Buckley, Sheehan, Rowe and white may all get a game or three due to injuries/poor form of others/etc.
Really would like to see Williamson, Macreadie, KJ and JGM force their way in to the rotations with some strong VFL performances.
A fit Sheehan is good enough to start in that back six, and Simpson is best used giving the chop out and support the midfield in rotation with Byrne and Docherty.

On skimming through a few other forums, I noticed that the Dogs had a 'Consensus' Best 22 for 2017 - a great idea (props to Dannnnnnnnnn in this regard) I thought we could borrow to find out what our Best 22 would be as voted by us.

First up is the Backs. In the first poll we're selecting two back pockets, two half backs, a centre-half back and a full back. If you believe I've missed anybody that should be eligible as a defender, shout out and I'll have them added.
A Silvagni?

Given everyone voting for Byrne, then I assume were voting this as at round 23? I'm one of the couple oddballs who picked Buckley assuming this is as at round 1 (I feel Touhys spot is between Buckley and Sheehan until Byrne returns)

A fit Sheehan is good enough to start in that back six, and Simpson is best used giving the chop out and support the midfield in rotation with Byrne and Docherty.
Like Sheehan, but he needs to improve to get a regular start in the 6. Simmo will probably slow down a little over the next two years though.

Wonder if we are missing that small agile guy how can stop a good small forward (eddie) getting on a run?

I reckon our best setup is one which we saw for the majority of 2016.

Simpson - Rowe - Plowman
Docherty - Weitering - Byrne

Will be interesting to see who we go to as Byrne's replacement until he is ready to resume.

Like for like you're probably looking at either Buckley or Sheehan as a direct replacement but I wouldn't discount the possibility of seeing Plowman in that role.

Simpson - Rowe - Weitering
Docherty - Marchbank - Plowman

Plenty of height there but I don't think we're sacrificing run or mobility by bringing Marchbank in and moving Plowman into a more attacking role.

Looking at Hawthorn's defensive setup in 2015 they had all of Lake, Frawley, Gibson and Stratton back there, so 4 taller players can certainly work and Bolton may look to replicate.

Think there may have been a bloke named Tuohy in that defensive unit.

Like Sheehan, but he needs to improve to get a regular start in the 6. Simmo will probably slow down a little over the next two years though.

Wonder if we are missing that small agile guy how can stop a good small forward (eddie) getting on a run?
I don't think we expressly need a lock down small defender. Byrne can do that job if required, but otherwise you rely on upfield pressure acts and the zone to hold, force a kick to a contest/pack, and you close to scoop up the footy. Small forwards need some sort of opening or space to operate in, and it's easy enough to close up if you can slow the oppositions ability to counter after a turnover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at this stage i'm with

docherty marchbank plowman
byrne weitering simpson

although simpson usually plays as an extra
i'm really hoping williamson will develop in to a tall running hbf with good ball use. left footer as well
if sheehan can get fit and time on the ground he can be a top player as well.
very hopeful on g-mac & macreadie for the future.
with byrne injured lamb is my smokey to fill that role

All very interesting because something may have to give, before we settle on a definite best back six.
No doubt plans would be afoot for a revamp, but playing Rowe in the VFL just to give game-time to others won't work, I feel.

Current best back 6:

Simpson Rowe Plowman
Byrne Weitering Docherty

Simpson won't be looking at a career move at this stage.
Docherty is our general down back and will stay there.
Byrne is just what you want in a HBF'er and unlikely to be given new roles.
Marchbank will get a leg-up due to Byrnes injury and should be a round 1 starter, but then it may be a little too top-heavy.

VFL back 6:

Macreadie Glass-McCasker White
Sheehan Silvagni Marchbank (Smedts, Pickett, Sumner, Lamb)

There will be some experimenting here, no doubt.
What we do know though, is that Jaksch & Buckley have to make good forward of centre, or there may not be a role for them, going forward.
One of the KPD'ers will likely play a new role here. Macreadie forward? Marchbank? .......... or that other guy. :)
Don't really want to see Smedts play down back as it just doesn't seem to be his thing. (Talk to Geelong people)
Some speed and aggression will be needed though and you can see a Sumner or Pickett having a role down back.

Marchbank is a walk up start.

Will never see the NB's unless injuries cruel him.

Take someone out then.
Rowe straight to the reserves with Marchbank taking his spot?

Lots can happen but Rowe not seeing another senior game, is unlikely to be one of them.
Maybe someone just has to play forward, if all are to get games. The back-line can start looking just a tad too tall, also.

Take someone out then.

Lots can happen but Rowe not seeing another senior game, is unlikely to be one of them.
Maybe someone just has to play forward, if all are to get games. The back-line can start looking just a tad too tall, also.
I think you may have answered your own question Harks...

Rowe to play forward.

I think you may have answered your own question Harks...

Rowe to play forward.

Well, that would be a surprise and I just can't see the benefit here.
If you're going to take any risks up front and if he does have his head in the right place, I'd throw Jaksch a protracted period there, to come good.

Isn't asking a 19 yo and a 20 yo to hold down the two key defensive posts, just a little too much, for now?
Weitering & Marchbank are both serious players and will have long futures at the club, but do we really want them to be fighting against the exceptionally strong key forwards in Hawkins, Lynch, Kennedy, Franklin etc etc week in, week out?

I don't know....maybe....but I just don't see it yet.

Take someone out then.

Of the back 6 you posted, byrne comes out, marchbank in. Rowe FB. Marchbank CHB. Weiters plays on third tall (allows him to play intercept role). Plow plays in byrnes spot as a more attacking half back flanker; he is adaptable.

When byrne comes back we have a look and make a change...if needed.

Rowe still adds value.

We did not go to all that trouble to play Marchbank in NB's.

Isn't asking a 19 yo and a 20 yo to hold down the two key defensive posts, just a little too much, for now?
Weitering & Marchbank are both serious players and will have long futures at the club, but do we really want them to be fighting against the exceptionally strong key forwards in Hawkins, Lynch, Kennedy, Franklin etc etc week in, week out?

These two aren't your average 19 and 20 year olds... They're both ready. Marchbank at fullback, Weitering at CHB....

Set and forget. two less things we have to worry about for the next 10-12 years...

Rowe going forward makes most sense IF Weiterbot, Marchbank and Plowman are good to go. I don't think we'd play all four in D50.

Having said that, with McKay, CCurnow, Silvagni, Casboult and one of the rucks all fighting for spots in the forward line, it's difficult to judge who will play in the seconds for Rowe to be forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back