News Carlton parts ways with Cain Liddle - Post #400

Remove this Banner Ad

Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it. He got rid of Silvagni because SOS is a my way or the highway type of guy, he was a list manager and had no people skills, and maybe didn't understand his place in the organisation and who he has to answer too. Like any business you answer to your manager and SOS never got that.

Cain has financially taken the club out of debt and helped build the membership base during COVID, I think that speaks for itself, although a lot of memberships were given away, you need to understand Carlton now have 20,000 more names on the books they can sell too in the future because of Cain.

I said in a post about Sayers that he has been a disaster, they are trying to change the constitution so members have virtually no say. If Carlton doesn’t get Brian Cook, Sayers needs to be removed immediately, aside from what he has done by not getting a coach, talking about getting a new CEO while still having a CEO, he has already made the club a laughing stock, and he has only been in charge for a minute.
I'll believe it when I see it, but what I have seen to this point in time justifies the dismissal.
Here's to the future

Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it. He got rid of Silvagni because SOS is a my way or the highway type of guy, he was a list manager and had no people skills, and maybe didn't understand his place in the organisation and who he has to answer too. Like any business you answer to your manager and SOS never got that.

Cain has financially taken the club out of debt and helped build the membership base during COVID, I think that speaks for itself, although a lot of memberships were given away, you need to understand Carlton now have 20,000 more names on the books they can sell too in the future because of Cain.

I said in a post about Sayers that he has been a disaster, they are trying to change the constitution so members have virtually no say. If Carlton doesn’t get Brian Cook, Sayers needs to be removed immediately, aside from what he has done by not getting a coach, talking about getting a new CEO while still having a CEO, he has already made the club a laughing stock, and he has only been in charge for a minute.
Dennis Pagan summed up the club on SEN this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
An awful lot of people in this forum seem to know or assume to know exactly who said what and who did what behind closed doors.

I don't know, so thank you Cain Liddle for the service you gave, sorry it didn't work out.
If he sat down for the next three months and wrote a book about all of the backroom dealings during his time at Carlton, it would be a best seller.

With all due respect, or lack thereof, to Liddle, the Board had a massive influence getting the club out of debt. There have been a number of people on the Board, whether or not you agree with how things were handled footballwise, that were directly responsible for getting the Club's finances back on track.

Dennis Pagan summed up the club on SEN this morning.
Wet blanket - both of you.

Problem is that Agresta had a parallel role to SOS. SOS didn't ask him to get involved. Liddle put in place a poor structure, most likely because SOS ignored him as he reported directly to the board and not to Cain (which is the boards fault for setting up a structure doomed to fail). Lets hope we can set up the structure right this time around.
Sure & I don't disagree with you.
The narrative that I responded to is bullshit though - he didn't do it behind the List Management teams back.
He was asked by the List Manager to contact players that he had an existing relationship with nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with you on the SOS comments and have heard the same from several others

But you can’t seriously be saying sack Sayers - he’s only been in the job 2 hour

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were also some (at least one) that thought he was an absolute knob.
I am sure there was, but look at where we are now. A reactionary President, no CEO, no senior coach or footy Dept and the head of footy who shudders everytime his phone rings expecting to get tapped on the shoulder. Out of all of this we are going to become a unified club??? The club is leaking information like a sieve and everyone who leaves will trash the brand and the club.

How naive of me to actually believe that after we appointed Bolton the club had changed direction and would be 100% behind the coach.

in all honesty - the positions might sound the same but are very different.

ultimately Cain was a good CCO/CMO (his position at Richmond) & an average CEO (based on all the heresay)

They should have split the pos
Thanks Wookie, Non Current assets outweigh total liabilities, Current assets up 9 mil in 4 years inc a Covid year equity up, membership up by 25,000 FD spending down but a lot due to Covid, as far as finaces are concerened a great Job.

A Genius who takes 1 thing out of 3 I said to turn a conversation in thier favour, this is why i don't like posting often on the forum, the debt was whittle away with donations and pokies. Cain came up with a business idea, just like he did at Richmond. only an idiot can possibly have a go at Cain on the finacial side of his job.
I didn't have a go at Liddle on the financial side. I had a go at your post which was suggesting we're out of debt thanks to him. He played a very small part in us wiping our debt which was a very long process. Only an idiot would take my post as criticising Liddle on the financial side, as I have no idea and have never suggested otherwise.

I agree with you on the SOS comments and have heard the same from several others

But you can’t seriously be saying sack Sayers - he’s only been in the job 2 hour

Since he signed on he has sacked a coach and didn't get Clarkson, Lost Lyon, Lost Buckley, Voss is having 2nd thoughts and now they want Scott a coach that took North knowhere or his brother who has the worst gamestyle in the league, when cats play it is always a stinker of a game.

He appoints liddel to find a new coach, then it gets to the media that he is trying to get cook. Now he has sacked the CEO and there is no guarantee of getting cook. Who would want to work at Carlton right now, he has been on the board for 6 years. the club is split and he has no idea what he is doing.

I guess the signs and rumour mill had this on the cards. I have NFI whether it’s a good or bad thing. The media playing it as carnage seems a bit off given smart folks here we’re convinced he was gone weeks ago.

I felt Liddle was a pro, and seemed to have some business stuff going the right way, even whilst our football was not.

Is it good he’s out? Was he the problem, or part of it?

Or do we just have power brokers playing favourites, ditching their enemies?

I am no closer to having a bloody clue where the club is going or how we’re getting there (unless the respective answers are “nowhere” and “because we’re a dumpster fire”).

I didn't have a go at Liddle on the financial side. I had a go at your post which was suggesting we're out of debt thanks to him. He played a very small part in us wiping our debt which was a very long process. Only an idiot would take my post as criticising Liddle on the financial side, as I have no idea and have never suggested otherwise.

we wiped out 6m in debt and added 17,000 members (before 2021) despite COVID last season under his executive leadership. Thats not a small thing, and minimising his role in that doesnt help - the majority of that debt was paid in one go at the end of last season when the club took all the profit from 2020 and applied it to the debt we held.

Since he signed on he has sacked a coach and didn't get Clarkson, Lost Lyon, Lost Buckley, Voss is having 2nd thoughts and now they want Scott a coach that took North knowhere or his brother who has the worst gamestyle in the league, when cats play it is always a stinker of a game.

He appoints liddel to find a new coach, then it gets to the media that he is trying to get cook. Now he has sacked the CEO and there is no guarantee of getting cook. Who would want to work at Carlton right now, he has been on the board for 6 years. the club is split and he has no idea what he is doing.

So how would you handle it differently?

We’ve been firing blanks for 20 years.

SoS, Bolton were removed over 2 years back and we still haven’t improved. Like any underperforming business, Sayers called a review. There were findings and recommendations. Consultation occurred. Teague sacked. Club then goes on search for a new coach and is still on that search. Sayers aims high - gets knocked back. For what it’s worth, Collingwood got some rejections on their latest coaching search (but media praises that as professional).

So, should Sayers have started with an average coach who said “yes”? Or should he shake the tree, aim high and see where it lands?

As for who wants to work for carlton now? Not sure we’ve got the best in the last few years. Let’s wait a few weeks and see where it lands.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back