News Carlton parts ways with Cain Liddle - Post #400

Remove this Banner Ad

Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it. He got rid of Silvagni because SOS is a my way or the highway type of guy, he was a list manager and had no people skills, and maybe didn't understand his place in the organisation and who he has to answer too. Like any business you answer to your manager and SOS never got that.

Cain has financially taken the club out of debt and helped build the membership base during COVID, I think that speaks for itself, although a lot of memberships were given away, you need to understand Carlton now have 20,000 more names on the books they can sell too in the future because of Cain.

I said in a post about Sayers that he has been a disaster, they are trying to change the constitution so members have virtually no say. If Carlton doesn’t get Brian Cook, Sayers needs to be removed immediately, aside from what he has done by not getting a coach, talking about getting a new CEO while still having a CEO, he has already made the club a laughing stock, and he has only been in charge for a minute.

An awful lot of people in this forum seem to know or assume to know exactly who said what and who did what behind closed doors.

I don't know, so thank you Cain Liddle for the service you gave, sorry it didn't work out.

Each to their own. I prefer to jump at shadows and get outraged over totally baseless rumours.

Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it. He got rid of Silvagni because SOS is a my way or the highway type of guy, he was a list manager and had no people skills, and maybe didn't understand his place in the organisation and who he has to answer too. Like any business you answer to your manager and SOS never got that.

Cain has financially taken the club out of debt and helped build the membership base during COVID, I think that speaks for itself, although a lot of memberships were given away, you need to understand Carlton now have 20,000 more names on the books they can sell too in the future because of Cain.

I said in a post about Sayers that he has been a disaster, they are trying to change the constitution so members have virtually no say. If Carlton doesn’t get Brian Cook, Sayers needs to be removed immediately, aside from what he has done by not getting a coach, talking about getting a new CEO while still having a CEO, he has already made the club a laughing stock, and he has only been in charge for a minute.

With all due respect - this is a load of bollocks !!

Brian Cook has a great track record at Geelong for keeping its Board directly interfering in Football Dept matters - everything filters through Cook. :thumbsu:

On one hand you're commending someone for something a first year uni student intern could come up with
On the other hand you're going hard at the guy managing and rebuilding a whole department one step at a time and using the facts around (not the media narratives) has done everything really well and by the ruthless professional 'book'.

Can't help but laugh.

Cain got the club out of debt by being a tight @ss on the spending on the football department, particularly coaching.. We would have had the least paid coaching group in the league and the results showed..
Maybe but it was the members that wanted Teague and got what they wanted. You would also think Teague would have a large say on who he has as assistants. How many long time assistants want to work for a 1st time coach? How much did Worsfold cost? I would think Andrew Russell would be on massive coin for his job.

Thanks for the update Cain. But now, can you just butt out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media are going to report everything we do as wrong and laughable, regardless of what it is.

TBH if the decisions currently being made end up being the right ones to turn around our on-field performance then I couldn't give two shits about what the media or average joe on the street thinks. Laugh away.

Wasn't the review purely about the football department? I get that the footy department is overseen by the CEO but I think there's a liberal use of licence to suggest the reason Liddle is departing is due to the review itself. That's cover for the real reasons. Not unhappy with the outcome, however.
A review of the football department can very easily spread to other areas. During the questioning, people in the football department might have aired grievances about the CEO preventing them from doing their jobs properly due to meddling, or being overruled.
A pattern could potentially be formed very quickly if he's rubbed enough people up the wrong way.

On one hand you're commending someone for something a first year uni student intern could come up with

On the other hand you're going hard at the guy managing and rebuilding a whole department one step at a time and using the facts around (not the media narratives) has done everything really well and by the ruthless professional 'book'.

Can't help but laugh.

No Person at Carlton since the Elliott days has managed to get Carlton out of debt, so if you think a 1st year uni student can basically rebuild the stadium, get Carlton out of debt for the 1st time since Jehovah played half back for Jerusalem and raised membership by 20,000 perhaps you should apply for the job.

As I understand Cook is not in the bag, so just like with Lyon, by trying to get get no 1 you have pissed off No 2 and now you will end up with no 11.

All personnel changes complete according to Sayers ...

Really?

So the head of the football department survives, but the CEO gets let go citing underperformance of the football department without anything being done?

Of course we don't know what's gone on internally, but the only way I can see that making sense is if Liddle was making football calls essentially overriding Lloyd.

Thoughts?
While there are positives to be had by being seen to be proactive and forcing change through sackings, you can also go too far in this regard.
I'm sure they had an exit plan for Liddle when the time was right, but he forced their hand, asking for clarity on his position.
Lloyd is in the same boat IMO. There's an exit plan in place. Rather than another sacking for a club in shambles, with all major roles being upended, Lloyd will conveniently leave for a position at another club, with the blessing of the Blues.

Sensational growth hacker and a solid financial guy. Congrats Cain on helping Carlton with those skills. I would have enjoyed him working as a head of marketing. Unfortunately, a CEO he is not.

To get SOS out of the club by blaming him for his conflict of interests never sat well with me. He then almost immediately committed the same act with one of the most worthless players to ever don a Carlton guernsey in Moore who he got from Richmond, Calder, and allegedly had personal connections to really infuriated me.

I believe he was a key leaker over the past few weeks to the media as he realised his position had become untenable. It wasn't a good look.

A club will snatch him up whether in AFL or elsewhere and he'll be successful in doing what he does but I don't regret that we did what we had to do.

No Person at Carlton since the Elliott days has managed to get Carlton out of debt, so if you think a 1st year uni student can basically rebuild the stadium, get Carlton out of debt for the 1st time since Jehovah played half back for Jerusalem and raised membership by 20,000 perhaps you should apply for the job.

As I understand Cook is not in the bag, so just like with Lyon, by trying to get get no 1 you have pissed off No 2 and now you will end up with no 11.
We've had a debt that was whittled away over many years with many invloved and because he was there at the time we cleared it he's the one responsible?
Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it...
I'm sure everyone is very relieved that you can finally talk about it. A weight has definitely been lifted.

We've had a debt that was whittled away over many years with many invloved and because he was there at the time we cleared it he's the one responsible?

I'm sure everyone is very relieved that you can finally talk about it. A weight has definitely been lifted.
A Genius who takes 1 thing out of 3 I said to turn a conversation in thier favour, this is why i don't like posting often on the forum, the debt was whittle away with donations and pokies. Cain came up with a business idea, just like he did at Richmond. only an idiot can possibly have a go at Cain on the finacial side of his job.

Don't mess with SOS is my takeaway.

Did a good job on the finances and commercial side of things, as we were a basket case when he took over. He is probably very stiff.

in all honesty - the positions might sound the same but are very different.

ultimately Cain was a good CCO/CMO (his position at Richmond) & an average CEO (based on all the heresay)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back