List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree with your last comment Harks. Could you imagine the heat the club would have faced had they conceded draft pick no 9 for an underachieving GC player. We were fortunate enough to be well placed in the PSD to facilitate Martin's acquisition. SOS or no SOS it wouldn't have mattered.

It would be fair to say SOS had mixed success handling the Gibbs trade with distinction yet stuffing up with Saad showing little interest in him.

It's ok. Let them have Saad.

We'll just poach Andrew McGrath :)

I'm not saying the Kemp choice was a good one...nor was my hypothesis about him - I was talking more broadly about risk/reward and assessing deals

I agree the Kemp choice is a bigger risk than flanders, but now it comes down to if the combination of Kemp and Philp exceeds Flanders in isolation (in the same way Dunkley and Collins in combination should be compared to Curnow and with Collins in our VFL team, it's now just Dunkley v Curnow).
This is the thing though. It’s a good deal for both if we just go off how they rate the talent that will be available. Bulldogs done that trade thinking that they got the better deal for them, GC the exact same. We thought we got the better deal.
Everyone is a winner because in theory they done what they thought would get them the best talent.

This theory imo is 100% right but it also means you can never lose a trade if you don’t look at the actual final results and just look at the theory behind the move, which is just silly.

Don't agree with your last comment Harks. Could you imagine the heat the club would have faced had they conceded draft pick no 9 for an underachieving GC player. We were fortunate enough to be well placed in the PSD to facilitate Martin's acquisition. SOS or no SOS it wouldn't have mattered.

It would be fair to say SOS had mixed success handling the Gibbs trade with distinction yet stuffing up with Saad showing little interest in him.

My point was that we didn't buckle when others would have.
e.g. Essendon last year when they reluctantly handed over two firsts because they over-committed for Shiel.

Saad? I didn't care much for him but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been worthwhile for us.
Who did we get instead of Saad with the pick/s that would have had to leave the door? I don't recall.

Saad? I didn't care much for him but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been worthwhile for us.
Who did we get instead of Saad with the pick/s that would have had to leave the door? I don't recall.

Think that was the year of M. Kennedy swap instead of Saad, we jumped into the fray for #16 (rec’d for Gibbs) with Bulldogs for their Schache play & we ended up with 2 x 30’s picks = TDK & MK.
^^Edit Ess gave up a future 2nd rounder (2018) for Saad
We gave up ‘17 #16 + 40 for #28 (Kennedy) + 30 (TDK) & WBD future 2nd rounder (helped with McGovern).

Last edited:
Saad is being underrated here, was close to AA last season and probably should have won the dons B&F. Would love to have him in navy blue.

However if he was at the club, I doubt we would have gone after Newman last year which probably also means no Papley. Sliding doors and all that.

Saad is being underrated here, was close to AA last season and probably should have won the dons B&F. Would love to have him in navy blue.

However if he was at the club, I doubt we would have gone after Newman last year which probably also means no Papley. Sliding doors and all that.

Really could have in place for MK but inside mid was the pressing point of concern, which he has turned out not to be anyway.

Newman still could have been a target, but more wing or further insurance for Doc.

Still no Papley....

Prior to last year Saad's only asset was his speed. Decision making was not developed. Too often you would see him run from defense, cut past a couple of players, get near the f50 and then not know what to do which then usually meant the ball ended up going back the other way.
So for me, at the time he was available, he was not any better than O'Shea.

Bluestreak, Sweetseventeen and Jememias I understand you are entitled to our opinions but yours are not supported by the facts. All it does is cheapen discussion.

Saad would rank first for metres gained at Carlton 7755metres for the year or 64th in the AFL
Saad's disposal efficiency sat at 80% only bettered by Liam Jones from our list
As for his turnover reputation, Saad did not figure in the top 100 player list for turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bluestreak, Sweetseventeen and Jememias I understand you are entitled to our opinions but yours are not supported by the facts. All it does is cheapen discussion.

Saad would rank first for metres gained at Carlton 7755metres for the year or 64th in the AFL
Saad's disposal efficiency sat at 80% only bettered by Liam Jones from our list
As for his turnover reputation, Saad did not figure in the top 100 player list for turnovers.

No denying his dash and ability to carry the ball long distances. Not surprised his metres gained are high as would be his running bounces.

Stylistically very similar to Simpson but without the polish. Always came across as a deer in the headlights at the Suns, so would be interested to see his numbers whilst up north, but I acknowledge he improved on that front at the Bombers.

DE can be very misleading also, need to delve a little deeper. What's he like with short or sideways kicks vs penetrating the defensive 50 which he does often?

Prior to last year Saad's only asset was his speed. Decision making was not developed. Too often you would see him run from defense, cut past a couple of players, get near the f50 and then not know what to do which then usually meant the ball ended up going back the other way.
So for me, at the time he was available, he was not any better than O'Shea.
ah......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back