List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My desire for us to keep this pick is increasing as the draft approaches.

Just gives you that hope that you might find a superstar.
My Top 20 Draft Picks for 2019
  1. Tom Green - I think he's tremendous and will carry his team on his shoulders if that's what it takes. A bid by the Suns with Pick 1 will be matched by GWS.
  2. Noah Anderson - Powerful midfielder who can also hurt you in the air and on the scoreboard. Plenty of improvement left in him.
  3. Matt Rowell - Is probably the accomplished prospect in this year's draft. Amazingly consistent and rarely plays a bad game. Many rank him as this years' best.
  4. Hayden Young - Composed medium defender with precise kicking skills who has also shown an ability to play as an outside mid. Highly rated.
  5. Caleb Serong - Small, but strong midfielder with a nice burst of acceleration and who is deceptively strong in the air. Kicking under pressure can be suspect.
  6. Lachlan Ash - Line-breaking medium intercept defender who hurts the opposition with his speed, agility and excellent kicking. Unlike many HBF he can find his own ball.
  7. Sam Flanders - Can extract the ball at stoppages and kick spectacular goals when playing as a small forward. Has good speed and genuine X-factor.
  8. Dylan Stephens - Lightly-built, but quick outside midfielder with good speed and excellent kicking skills. Good tackler despite his lack of bulk.
  9. Fisher McAsey - Key defender who is sound in the air, possesses good closing speed and has reliable kicking skills. Shown he can also create run out of the back half.
  10. Deven Robertson - Inside mid who is a one-touch player with good speed and excellent endurance. Winner of this years' Larke Medal.
  11. Will Gould - Powerful interceptor and rebounder who possesses an accurate booming kick. One who could have an impact in his first year.
  12. Brodie Kemp - Tall utility with good skills. Would be inside the Top 6 except for a small issue of doing his ACL.
  13. Jackson Mead - Small-medium balanced midfielder who Port Power may take as a Father/Son selection.
  14. Liam Henry - Small forward with very clean disposal skills even under pressure. Like many indigenous players he can light up a forward line in a split second.
  15. Mitch O'Neill - Small outside midfielder who can win his own ball and has the speed to spread from the contest.
  16. Dylan Williams - Medium forward who can find his own ball in the contest and is a very good mark for his size. Has good skills and makes his possessions count.
  17. Trent Rivers - Balanced Midfielder who has the size and speed to break out of contests. Generally finds his targets with good disposal by hand or foot.
  18. Finn Maginness - Inside midfielder who should end up at the Hawks as a Father/Son selection. Has an excellent defensive side to his game.
  19. Luke Jackson - The best ruck prospect in this years' draft pool and had a good U18 Champs. It'll be interesting to see where clubs rank him as he's not the tallest.
  20. Cameron Taheny - Medium forward with excellent speed. His good is brilliant, but his bad is terrible. Dunno.

Nice summary. Love the work.

1. Tom Green - I think he's tremendous and will carry his team on his shoulders if that's what it takes. A bid by the Suns with Pick 1 will be matched by GWS.
  2. Noah Anderson - Powerful midfielder who can also hurt you in the air and on the scoreboard. Plenty of improvement left in him.
  3. Matt Rowell - Is probably the accomplished prospect in this year's draft. Amazingly consistent and rarely plays a bad game. Many rank him as this years' best.
  4. Hayden Young - Composed medium defender with precise kicking skills who has also shown an ability to play as an outside mid. Highly rated.
  5. Caleb Serong - Small, but strong midfielder with a nice burst of acceleration and who is deceptively strong in the air. Kicking under pressure can be suspect.
  6. Lachlan Ash - Line-breaking medium intercept defender who hurts the opposition with his speed, agility and excellent kicking. Unlike many HBF he can find his own ball.
  7. Sam Flanders - Can extract the ball at stoppages and kick spectacular goals when playing as a small forward. Has good speed and genuine X-factor.
  8. Dylan Stephens - Lightly-built, but quick outside midfielder with good speed and excellent kicking skills. Good tackler despite his lack of bulk.
  9. Fisher McAsey - Key defender who is sound in the air, possesses good closing speed and has reliable kicking skills. Shown he can also create run out of the back half.
  10. Deven Robertson - Inside mid who is a one-touch player with good speed and excellent endurance. Winner of this years' Larke Medal.
  11. Will Gould - Powerful interceptor and rebounder who possesses an accurate booming kick. One who could have an impact in his first year.
  12. Brodie Kemp - Tall utility with good skills. Would be inside the Top 6 except for a small issue of doing his ACL.
  13. Jackson Mead - Small-medium balanced midfielder who Port Power may take as a Father/Son selection.
  14. Liam Henry - Small forward with very clean disposal skills even under pressure. Like many indigenous players he can light up a forward line in a split second.
  15. Mitch O'Neill - Small outside midfielder who can win his own ball and has the speed to spread from the contest.
  16. Dylan Williams - Medium forward who can find his own ball in the contest and is a very good mark for his size. Has good skills and makes his possessions count.
  17. Trent Rivers - Balanced Midfielder who has the size and speed to break out of contests. Generally finds his targets with good disposal by hand or foot.
  18. Finn Maginness - Inside midfielder who should end up at the Hawks as a Father/Son selection. Has an excellent defensive side to his game.
  19. Luke Jackson - The best ruck prospect in this years' draft pool and had a good U18 Champs. It'll be interesting to see where clubs rank him as he's not the tallest.
  20. Cameron Taheny - Medium forward with excellent speed. His good is brilliant, but his bad is terrible. Dunno.

Great write up, I really doubt that GC will bid on a GWS academy player, the AFL wouldn’t like it and if they are to get a PP, they wouldn’t want to upset the boss.

Undervaluing Rivers there Smokey

How quick is he?

Similar to say Walsh or maybe closer to Dow?

Would you rather Rivers with pick 9 or trade for say Ian Hill?

Deceptively quick over 20, but more about how well he reads the play and fall of the ball

Would take him well ahead of Hill and pick 9 would be a steal

Another is Elijah Taylor, probably has more xfactor than most in this year's draft

Deceptively quick over 20, but more about how well he reads the play and fall of the ball

Would take him well ahead of Hill and pick 9 would be a steal

Another is Elijah Taylor, probably has more xfactor than most in this year's draft

Do you still rate Dylan Williams?

So if we end up taking #8 to the draft, you’d be hoping for Ash or Flanders?

Mint write up. Thanks for the background.

First time in the past 10 months that I've thought we may actually go to the draft with our pick #8.

If Papley is off the table, we don't over-reach for Martin, we forego Ellis even as a RFA and we can't find what we want at the trade table....then why not if a type we want will be there, even if he happens to be 18 years of age?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was chatting to someone involved with the Gippsland Power and they couldn't shut up about Sam Flanders and what a talent he is. I know the Blues will very likely trade the pick, but Flanders could be a nice consolation prize if we decide to take it to the draft

First time in the past 10 months that I've thought we may actually go to the draft with our pick #8.

If Papley is off the table, we don't over-reach for Martin, we forego Ellis even as a RFA and we can't find what we want at the trade table....then why not if a type we want will be there, even if he happens to be 18 years of age?
That’s the thing about this draft. There are very good players who are the types we want/need. We will get someone highly rated who fills a need or worst case have Kemp there who has A grade potential.

That’s the thing about this draft. There are very good players who are the types we want/need. We will get someone highly rated who fills a need or worst case have Kemp there who has A grade potential.

There are always good players to be had and even though we'd sooner players with experience given our position, if things don't pan out, you revert to plan B.

All I want is for us to attain types we need, as they'll be afforded opportunity and have the ability to impact as we've seen from plenty of first year players over the course of the past few years.

If we do go t the draft, it will have to be for smaller, speedier, running types. No KPF's....No KPD's.....No so-so mids.....Just the right types.

There are always good players to be had and even though we'd sooner players with experience given our position, if things don't pan out, you revert to plan B.

All I want is for us to attain types we need, as they'll be afforded opportunity and have the ability to impact as we've seen from plenty of first year players over the course of the past few years.

If we do go t the draft, it will have to be for smaller, speedier, running types. No KPF's....No KPD's.....No so-so mids.....Just the right types.
And that’s what is perfect about the top end talent of this draft, they are nearly all exactly what we are looking for.

I have not even considered our first pick as being live, with there being a slight potential, we could be in an interesting place with our pick.

Gold Coast - Rowell
Assume a PP - Anderson
Melbourne - Ash
Adelaide - Young
GWS - Green
(Matched Big)
----------------------------
These are the five names I expect to not be around by the time it gets to our pick. I would jump at any of these options but if Green drifted to our pick, GWS would match anyway, so those four names are the only real viable players.

Sydney -
Saints -
Fremantle -
North -

I would hazard a guess that all four of these teams really need to increase their midfield depth.
Highly likely to be off the board are
Serong, Kemp

That then leaves a few options for the blues.
Flanders, Gould, Rivers, Stephens, Robertson....

Rivers is not as inside as Robertson, but has a much better kick on him. He also has the ability to play across the back half or even across the half forward flank.
There is a sick twisted part of me that would not mind trading pick 8 for a few later first round or second round picks.
I would like to get our hands on Weightman and Rivers. (I am assuming Rivers is not being taken high as many rookie watchers and Twomey are not placing him high on their list.

Carlton

There is a sick twisted part of me that would not mind trading pick 8 for a few later first round or second round picks.
I would like to get our hands on Weightman and Rivers. (I am assuming Rivers is not being taken high as many rookie watchers and Twomey are not placing him high on their list.

Get in line

Gold Coast Picks1 and 2.

Melbourne, Adelaide and StKilda all wanting to trade down, but i get the feeling only 1 will succeed in getting a goodish return.

Incredibly good draft to drop from Pick 3/4 to Pick 8/9 + Stocker. The downgrade is as minimal as it could possibly be in any draft.

Gold Coast Picks1 and 2.

Melbourne, Adelaide and StKilda all wanting to trade down, but i get the feeling only 1 will succeed in getting a goodish return.

Incredibly good draft to drop from Pick 3/4 to Pick 8/9 + Stocker. The downgrade is as minimal as it could possibly be in any draft.

We don't know that for certain, but it sounds like there's a chance.

If anyone is likely to succeed at trading down, it's going to be Melbourne as they have the highest pick after GC and GWS are most likely to trade up.

We don't know that for certain, but it sounds like there's a chance.

If anyone is likely to succeed at trading down, it's going to be Melbourne as they have the highest pick after GC and GWS are most likely to trade up.

Imo Green won't be bid on very early, but time will tell. I think more and more trading will be done live on the night when risk assessment and price assessment will be at its clearest. If i was GWS i'd be calling Melbourne's bluff on them drafting another inside mid.

Draft night will be getting more and more exciting as a spectacle i reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back