No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with there being issues, but if they really are cleared in mid May, surely they will be raring to get back out there and who the hell is going to say they can't? Tough on the top ups but hey, they will be well paid for doing nothing. Imagine if we are 5 and 6 after 11 rounds (against all probability)? You want to say no to bringing in Watson, Heppell, Hurley and Hooker?
Like I said I don't think the appeal will be successful so I don't think having to struggle with that dilemma will be an issue.

Like I said I don't think the appeal will be successful so I don't think having to struggle with that dilemma will be an issue.
It's a long shot but i doubt they would be doing it all if there was no hope. It may seem as if they have nothing to lose, but i think they really would like just to put it behind them right now if this was a pointless exercise.

They wouldn't be match fit. It would be ridiculous.

I'm tipping those 12 players would be more afl ready than any of parish, Francis, Eades, long, Kommer, Morgan, redman, nuoyen, Wallis and given the rate of attrition would be a welcome addition by the time appeal decision made. However like an injunction playing this year carries risk which could spill over to next year which they wisely want to avoid.

it's the impossible thing to do
"grossly unreasonable" might be the term.
That is, WADA should only have been allowed to appeal the unanimous decision of the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal on grounds of either legal error or that it was grossly unreasonable.

That's what the players association is saying should have been the grounds for the WADA appeal back last year.

What would be very wrong with the players launching an appeal on the grounds that it was a grossly unreasonable judgement. The CAS judgement was that the 34 players conspired to go outside the rules. The proof being failure to make note of the supplement program when asked to do a random drug test.

To my mind that was a grossly unreasonable judgement. Anyway as you were. More to it than that I guess.

What good did these drugs do ?
Apart from smashing a football giant (Essendon are huge, they can take the financial hit) and teaching the comp a lesson .
Like I said previously, 38 AFL players in the past three years have been banned for doping.

Not a single one could be described as a cheat.

Some people say the system is broken but I disagree. The system can't possibly work. It is arbitrary, expensive and leads to a huge number of miscarriages of justice.

Yes 34 players who have done no demonstrable wrong being wiped out is somewhat of an outlier but all of it is a disgrace.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are so glad that Armstrong got done - but all that means is that some other drug user wins instead of him.

How exactly is that justice?

Yes I know that drugs can be dangerous, but players can take crystal meth (not particularly safe I have heard) and as long as they don't take it on game day apparently it is all kosher.

Not to mention the immense hypocrisy of people who carry on like porkchops at a player who refuses to run back with the flight of the ball when a player twice his size is about to crash into him then turning around and saying that they think a doping regime would put an unnecessary health burden on the players.

Essendon saga: ASADA chief faces grilling by Senate estimates committee

Ben McDevitt, the head of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, was due to appear before the Senate estimates committee on Wednesday night but, as earlier proceedings had run two hour's late, McDevitt's appearance was adjourned. A new hearing is likely within the next month, and as early as Friday fortnight.

Greens leader Senator Richard Di Natale, who sits on the estimates committee and has already made it clear he wants an inquiry into ASADA's handling of the Essendon case, was ready to question McDevitt about a case now into its fourth year.

He later took to social media to declare he was "frustrated that we won't be able to question" ASADA, and felt for Essendon supporters who had made the trip to Canberra.

Victorian senator John Madigan, another who wants an independent inquiry and has sought documents from the Prime Minister's office, including the full Australian Crime Commission report, was ready to question McDevitt from the floor.

Through a spokesman, Madigan told Fairfax Media he remained disappointed with how the 34 players had been treated by the World Anti-Doping Agency, and would follow the Swiss hearing with interest. WADA had appealed an earlier finding by the AFL anti-doping tribunal that there was insufficient evidence the players had been administered the banned drug, thymosin beta-4.

McDevitt would appear before Senate estimates up to three times a year. He said on Thursday night he had been ready to any questions directed at him.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-committee-20160211-gmrtk6.html#ixzz3zqyTggIR

I'm tipping those 12 players would be more afl ready than any of parish, Francis, Eades, long, Kommer, Morgan, redman, nuoyen, Wallis and given the rate of attrition would be a welcome addition by the time appeal decision made. However like an injunction playing this year carries risk which could spill over to next year which they wisely want to avoid.
You can tip that. But you'd be wrong.

Ben McDevitt, the head of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, was due to appear before the Senate estimates committee on Wednesday night but, as earlier proceedings had run two hour's late, McDevitt's appearance was adjourned. A new hearing is likely within the next month, and as early as Friday fortnight.

Greens leader Senator Richard Di Natale, who sits on the estimates committee and has already made it clear he wants an inquiry into ASADA's handling of the Essendon case, was ready to question McDevitt about a case now into its fourth year.

He later took to social media to declare he was "frustrated that we won't be able to question" ASADA, and felt for Essendon supporters who had made the trip to Canberra.

Victorian senator John Madigan, another who wants an independent inquiry and has sought documents from the Prime Minister's office, including the full Australian Crime Commission report, was ready to question McDevitt from the floor.

Through a spokesman, Madigan told Fairfax Media he remained disappointed with how the 34 players had been treated by the World Anti-Doping Agency, and would follow the Swiss hearing with interest. WADA had appealed an earlier finding by the AFL anti-doping tribunal that there was insufficient evidence the players had been administered the banned drug, thymosin beta-4.

McDevitt would appear before Senate estimates up to three times a year. He said on Thursday night he had been ready to any questions directed at him.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-committee-20160211-gmrtk6.html#ixzz3zqyTggIR

Two hour's late? Nice work, Pierik.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good hopefully this leads to bye,bye Asada/Wada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back