Catholic Education System crying foul over new funding system

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-schools-dishonest-campaign-against-gonski-20

The opposition leader, Bill Shorten, has previously said that not all parents who send their children to Catholic schools are wealthy and they should not be “punished” for their choice.​

But nor should they be rewarded.

There is a system in place and if you want to send your child to a cult school, you should pay the extra minus any needs-based funding. Lots of Catholic schools are in poorer areas so if they can show genuine need they should get the support they need to give their students a decent education. But almost EVERY poor area in Australia is serviced by state schools, so why should urban cult schools get extra when there are under-served areas they won't touch?

Despite Tony Abbott’s warning that the Gonski 2.0 funding plan would face “vigorous” debate in the Coalition party room, it passed with only a handful of Coalition MPs raising objections.
Even the bulk of Lib MP's are not concerned.

The education minister, Simon Birmingham, has said the government will not give in to “bullying” from any state or school sector because any special deal would unravel the principle of needs-based funding.
Back to the idea that lobbying from a smaller entity is "bullying". Why not just say that discussion on the matter is closed? Because that sounds like they're flexing their own muscle rather than resisting what they want to paint as an unfair attack.

Also, Pyne is a nutter:

On Sky, Pyne also defended Australia’s relationship with Donald Trump’s administration, saying the US president hadn’t had an “even break” since the moment he announced his candidacy and there was a “feeding frenzy” against the Trump administration by the media in Washington.​

Fed by Trump's obvious insanity.

Private schools want the govt to keep public schools down so their advantage si obvious. Cant blame them but for everything else people demand accountability in return for public funds. Private schools should not be exempt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Catholic education got caught taking out govt money from its poorest schools giving it too its elite schools. Makes the 5k fee rise for the poor schools look all the more silly. Shorten already caved into this good to see the libs havent.

i'm 100pc atheist so no argument from me that religion and associated rituals are pretty dumb.

that said i don't think catholicism is a cult as opposed to a religion. with the caveat that i have never attended a catholic school i would guess most parents choose their kid's schooling on perceived educational benefit rather than religion.

pretty clear the language in the op is designed to be misleadingly provocative which is somewhat curious given op's previous defence of islam and its promotion.

That more or less how the usa works and its why no one complains about public schools in the good areas

for the record i'm not advocating for this as it would be grossly unfair and lead to further inequity.

there should be a (high) base level of funding for each student system wide and a greater amount of select entry grammar schools and vocational schools with ppl channelled at any early stage based on iq testing rather than wrote learning.

more emphasis should be placed on parents to value their child's education and perhaps it could be incentivised by increasing payments to parents whose children achieve certain educational outcomes.

nothing should stop people from sending their kids to elite private schools, but those schools should receive the same payment as every other school.

infrastructure should not be funded for private schools.

The Mick schools do play a role for sure. Had a great sporting rivalry with one at primary school level nearby.

Most of those schools are in lower socio-economic areas as it is and probably should be treated as equal to the state schools in those areas. It's the Elite second and third mortgage for fees schools that should be left to fund themselves.

they shouldn't be left to fund themselves - this would only hurt the middle class people who make enormous sacrifices to send their kids to such schools. $30k or $60k makes no difference to genuinely wealthy people.

otherwise these people are paying twice (once for the fees and once as a taxpayer to fund the government system).

all schools should get the same amount of per head funding with rules on how it should be applied.

There is a system in place and if you want to send your child to a cult school, you should pay the extra minus any needs-based funding.

Lets cut funding to private schools, pay higher taxes as children migrate to state schools and achiever worse educational outcomes

Oh yes, the very essence of rational thinking.

"cult schools". Oh sorry, my bad, its open season on Catholics. Carry on.

I hear some of them "bless" water by talking to it and splashing it upon themselves. How is that not a cult?

That reminds me of the old cricket story

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/09/26/1222217523714.html

During a match at the SCG, Bradman learned that Fingleton, who opened the batting, had had his bat sprinkled with holy water by a Catholic bishop.

Fingleton was soon dismissed. As Bradman, the new batsman, passed Fingleton on his way to the middle, he said to him: "We'll see what a dry bat will do out there." Bradman scored a century.

Lets cut funding to private schools, pay higher taxes as children migrate to state schools and achiever worse educational outcomes

Oh yes, the very essence of rational thinking.

"cult schools". Oh sorry, my bad, its open season on Catholics. Carry on.
Give it up for God's sake.

Stop pretending that parents don't contribute financially to public schools. Stop pretending that if there were no private schools, the public system wouldn't change in any way whatsoever.

Just stop pretending private schools aren't a self-selecting group.

You just make yourself look either stupid or dishonest or lazy. I don't know which and I don't know how much I care.

All I know is that it is tedious to read the same thing over and over again.

All I know is that it is tedious to read the same thing over and over again.

yes, your incoherent anti private school rants in the face of overwhelming evidence are absurd and tiring.

If people stopped making crap threads on the subject then others would stop pointing out the nonsensical nature of their attempted argument. Very simple.

Stop pretending that if there were no private schools, the public system wouldn't change in any way whatsoever..

Of course it would change!! People would migrate from private schools to public schools and the cost to taxpayers would increase.

Just stop pretending private schools aren't a self-selecting group.

Education union piffle. If they were self selecting then funding wouldnt be an issue would it?

Give it up for God's sake.

humour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back