Healthcare system in Australia - just how bad have things got?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I ask what type of allied health? I would think some disciplines more useful than others. Eg social work more than OT. Or is it “peer support workers”? I think there was pressure from the royal commission to increase lived experience/ peer support types (not that there’s actually many of these outside the cities)
Mind I don’t find nursing leaders necessarily good- find those that stop visiting frontline regularly lose touch.
Aren’t sentinel events reported via riskman and so significant (isr 1 and 2) get externally reported/ reviewed?

Heavily OT dominated and focused now, Nurses severely unrepresented at higher levels, hence focus is on AH grads and increasing OT positions often by sweeping up vacant FTE from general clinical or Nursing positions and putting it out for OT positions at a higher grade.
Lived Experience workforce is coming, and im fully supportive of it, however I have serious misgivings about them being appropriately supported in such a broken system, I've seen so many of them damaged and become unwell because of the complete lack of leadership and appropriate management in the public health system.

Lol - yep....and the narrative around them is well decided before they eventually are reviewed internally. Especially if it looks bad on the exec. Corruption.

Heavily OT dominated and focused now, Nurses severely unrepresented at higher levels, hence focus is on AH grads and increasing OT positions often by sweeping up vacant FTE from general clinical or Nursing positions and putting it out for OT positions at a higher grade.
Lived Experience workforce is coming, and im fully supportive of it, however I have serious misgivings about them being appropriately supported in such a broken system, I've seen so many of them damaged and become unwell because of the complete lack of leadership and appropriate management in the public health system.

Lol - yep....and the narrative around them is well decided before they eventually are reviewed internally. Especially if it looks bad on the exec. Corruption.
I wonder, is it attempting to move more of mental health onto NDIS? I know that a barrier to some complex patients getting NDIS packages is the need for a (very) detailed OT assessment, so perhaps expansion of OT is for this? And maybe trying to move away from traditional medication/ nursing to skills based therapies? I'm not in mental health though, just do complex care plans from an ED point of view which intersects at times with NDIS

Same up here with OT in Management.
They are not clinical in the same sense as Drs and nurses.

They are very wishy washy, having no actual clue on acuity issues.

I wonder, is it attempting to move more of mental health onto NDIS? I know that a barrier to some complex patients getting NDIS packages is the need for a (very) detailed OT assessment, so perhaps expansion of OT is for this? And maybe trying to move away from traditional medication/ nursing to skills based therapies? I'm not in mental health though, just do complex care plans from an ED point of view which intersects at times with NDIS
The problem with NDIS is the patient needs to be at their final diagnosis, not somewhere prior.
They need NDIS now, but dont qualify.

NDIS and ACAT and HCP need fixing along with ratios in Aged Care.

Whoever thinks it is acceptable to have no Registered Nurse on shift in Aged Care is crazy.

The problem with NDIS is the patient needs to be at their final diagnosis, not somewhere prior.
They need NDIS now, but dont qualify.

NDIS and ACAT and HCP need fixing along with ratios in Aged Care.

Whoever thinks it is acceptable to have no Registered Nurse on shift in Aged Care is crazy.
The ones I mean have a diagnosis just not the degree of disability quantified (which is the ot assessment)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back