Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Next week
Witts, Anderson, Miller, Rowell vs

Stanley, Parfitt, Atkins, Blitz/Bowes/Bruhn?

At center clearance.

IDK. That looks like another smashing. Only one to win might be Bruhn

There is so little upside to us winning against that MF at CB.

So just try something different pls MC.
Conway, Mullin, Bruhn, Hardie, Bowes, Clohesy, Mannagh. Some alternative combo.

lose GC and GWS that is a for real form slump not just Tomahawk

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

The hard call on Hawkins absolutely worries me. Still far from convinced Neale can handle it.
Neale won't get to Hawks prior level anytime soon, but he could crash packs, be a down the line outlet and actually chase. Dude was a junior athletics 400 and 1500m runner.

Sadly, Hawks is downside except for the odd assist. It is horrible to see a champ lose form so fast. We gotta give Neale a few games and swarm with Rohan, Close, Stengle and Miers

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

We just didn’t haven’t an answer to the fast ball movement in the first half which is a worry as our defence is usually a strength.
Last week we did not have an answer to the short kicking build up game. Now we cannot handle fast ball movement. I am not sure where the team stands. We need fresh blood.

Relying on past champions is killing us.

Seen a similar story a few times in finals, haven't we? Though not to that extent and especially at home.

Completely picked apart for the first quarter and a half before the stirring comeback that fell short. Clearly dopey Ken and his cronies went to town on Melbourne's tactics last week. Not only were we beaten around the contest, but it was the uncontested ball that really did us in - the kick, mark, keepings off plan worked a treat, as they got through our zone effortlessly, and particularly the transition from defence.

You can put it on Stanley, and he was very ordinary, but not one player came ready to play with any intensity from the start. That's two sluggish starts in the past two weeks and it is becoming a concern. Last week I can forgive, but to not bring any heat from the start is extremely disappointing.

We've been beaten by a combined 14 points by two finals teams, so it's hardly panic stations, but all of a sudden we could be staring down the barrel of a four game losing streak, and potentially undoing all the good work we did over the first 7 rounds.

We all love Dangerfield and what he brings to the team. But there is no bloody way we should be thinking his going to fix that midfield as the elite midfielder...
We shouldn't have to rely on 33 or 34 year old Midfielder to still do what he does...
His 30 plus years old!
I do like Bruhn, Clark etc the young players, but I'm not sure if we got that beast mode midfielder like Dangerfield can or could do in his prime

I feel like the new umpiring rules are hurting geelong as well around the refusal to pay holding the ball.

We clearly are a side that has focused on turnovers and slingshotting, so when the umpires decide to refuse to pay htb out of the blue after a few months and your strategy is around turnovers… it is frustrating and hurts you.
The biggest problem is we have 4 central umpires... we don't need that many...plus the amount of rule changes they have to adjust to every year... bring it back to basic...

Without doubt the Jeremy Cameron non goal was an incorrect decision. Chris Scott went into the presser knowing the rules and made it known..

And don't forget the exact opposite was ruled in the GF last year - remember Brisbane were told they had taken advantage when they got the free late in the game on their 50m line?

Another issue is that the umpire that paid the free last night, wasn't the closest umpire to the play, hence the play on which was called at the time by the officiating umpire. This is the problem with four umpires, as Scotty alluded to, they are getting in each other's way.

Adding an extra umpire hasn't solved anything, nor addressed the issues of off the ball incidents, which it was said was one Of the key reasons in adding a fourth to the game.

Last edited:
Last week we did not have an answer to the short kicking build up game. Now we cannot handle fast ball movement. I am not sure where the team stands. We need fresh blood.

Relying on past champions is killing us.
Came up against a couple of very good midfields with our inexperienced mids- lost by a kick and got ourselves into positions where we could have won. And we played ordinary footy. So it’s not too dastardly. We have plenty of fresh blood but the kids will take time. It’s hard work but we are going ok- -plenty to learn and more work to be done.

1. Without Danger we really lack an explosive midfielder - which is essential.
1715371841054.png

2. Can we have Rohan/Henry/Hawkins all in the same forward line?
Screenshot_20240511_054138_Chrome.jpg
Big scratcher needs a shot or we play smaller

3. Duncan confuses me. What he does can be great showing his skill and experience. But he looks like he can’t bend for ground balls and can’t defend the ground which really hurts us
1715372012317.png

4. We seem to lack a small lock down defender
Not exactly solving the problem you stated but i would like to see him tried. I really think the backline we're currently playing needs the mids to affect the entries and make them bomb it in. If they're hitting up short options or kicking scrubby entries we go from dangerous to too tall tall.

1715371786728.png

Attachments

• 1715371905707.png
    1715371905707.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look theres no doubt we need to draft more and in time it will help once guys like clark are more ready.
And i agree we are ageing and need to restock.
BUT
We drafted the best player in the vfl last year (who happens to be a goalkicking mid with speed which we lack) and we arent playing him
And we drafted one of the better state league mids the year before who is our best vfl player most weeks and we dont play him
Which is where the criticism comes from
Not playing those two guys seems to imply that we are not accepting we have a problem and trying to deal with it.
I doubt we need more draftees.

We have a ton of draftees. We need one or two top end players. I'd be happy not to draft any kids for three years if we land a Dangerfield replacement and a Hawkins replacement

I wouldn't be writing off Duncan. He's not as good as he once was but he is still a better ball user than most in the team. He tends to play better when Geelong plays better. He needs time and space. He doesn't get that when the midfield is being smashed. I think we get a couple of players back, Bruhn, Bowes, Dangerlawn and we'll be a different team.
You hit the nail on the head saying he needs time and space. Issue is we can't give it to him when the pressure is on.

We all love Dangerfield and what he brings to the team. But there is no bloody way we should be thinking his going to fix that midfield as the elite midfielder...
We shouldn't have to rely on 33 or 34 year old Midfielder to still do what he does...
His 30 plus years old!
I do like Bruhn, Clark etc the young players, but I'm not sure if we got that beast mode midfielder like Dangerfield can or could do in his prime
In his last game he spent pretty much the whole game forward until we threw him on ball for ten minutes and he put himself on crutches. That's the story in a nutshell

I wouldn't be writing off Duncan. He's not as good as he once was but he is still a better ball user than most in the team. He tends to play better when Geelong plays better. He needs time and space. He doesn't get that when the midfield is being smashed. I think we get a couple of players back, Bruhn, Bowes, Dangerlawn and we'll be a different team.

This is the problem with Mitch. He's always been a bit of downhill skier, great when we're up and running, but when we're not, he's often awful.

His disposal was always his strength, but we're seeing regular turnovers, often under no pressure, more and more. He's playing off half back to play solely as a distributor, so if he's turning it over then it's clearly counter-productive.

The refusal to play Knevitt at all since his good game against the bulldogs midway through last year has been very weird. Even to the extent we embarrassed him and left him as basically an unused sub v crows.

Our midfield got absolutely smashed. Time to take another look at him.

He brings a different look to Clark, Atkins, Parfitt who are all very similar in size and style.

49 points down when Stanley was subbed off a quarter and a half into the contest, and we got back within a kick.

Hopefully this was the last time we see him in the AFL. If Conway's not fit, just put Blicavs in the ruck.
Hawkins in the ruck? Hes not exactly killing it up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back