Resource Cats on TV and radio

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be labelling robbo as representative of journalists at large. That's a bit unfair on journalists. Robbo is a special type of person.
But did you also notice the fierce intelligence of Scott? You know, one of the numbnuts on our MC you take such issue with? ;)

That's... odd. Don't know how that dynamic will work.

Another Geelong presence on the show, though.
Probably trying to mimic the NRL footy show who have Erin Molan by giving it a femal presence on purpose.

It will interesting to give it a female presence, but I think Australian bogans and misogynists will lose their minds. I have already seen enough via Facebook to really question the IQ of many.

Not sure it will do her journalistic integrity much good, although TFS and journalistic integrity are oxymorons anyway...

So as long as she looks good the masses will be happy I guess. :rolleyes:

Hope it works out well for her.

GO Catters

It will interesting to give it a female presence, but I think Australian bogans and misogynists will lose their minds. I have already seen enough via Facebook to really question the IQ of many.
Can we dispense with the political crap? I'm sick of the left wing *faces dropping political s**t in to everything. But hey its okay as we have real points that are too important not to say. This is footy, its non-political. Lets move on.

The reaction has been mixed and rightfully so. Maddern is an interesting choice and its questionable whether she has any real knowledge or qualification for the job BUT she is taking over and good luck to her. Her gender is irrelevant. It would be just as questionable if David Brown went from doing weather to the Footy Show. It's not gender, its background and experience.

I guess I'm probably a misogynist pig for saying that. The reality is that people like you who make any comment about her gender are people making it an issue.

#endrant

Can we dispense with the political crap? I'm sick of the left wing ****faces dropping political s**t in to everything. But hey its okay as we have real points that are too important not to say. This is footy, its non-political. Lets move on.

The reaction has been mixed and rightfully so. Maddern is an interesting choice and its questionable whether she has any real knowledge or qualification for the job BUT she is taking over and good luck to her. Her gender is irrelevant. It would be just as questionable if David Brown went from doing weather to the Footy Show. It's not gender, its background and experience.

I guess I'm probably a misogynist pig for saying that. The reality is that people like you who make any comment about her gender are people making it an issue.

#endrant

What I said was not intended to be political. I saw about 100 people making disgusting comments about her being a woman after lightly browsing my facebook in 5 minutes time. So it was a little more factual.

And no, I am not a left winger, maybe a *face, but any political stance is irrelevant. So chill out with the personal attack...

Can we dispense with the political crap? I'm sick of the left wing ****faces dropping political s**t in to everything. But hey its okay as we have real points that are too important not to say. This is footy, its non-political. Lets move on.

#endrant
I am not sure less qualified she is than Brayshaw was when he got the gig. He was a cricket player.

I am not sure less qualified she is than Brayshaw was when he got the gig. He was a cricket player.
Is your response suggesting that I don't like Maddern because she is female?

Brayshaw is at least a paid football commentator and is tested on his knowledge every weekend when he commentates. I don't necessarily think that makes him Mr Football but he has some credentials there. Maddern has none. I don't see where Maddern has any serious football background. And before you say that she is no 1 ticket holder, I wouldn't call Daryl Somers a football genius despite him being exceptionally passionate about football and Geelong.

However, the person she replaced though was Garry Lyon who has great credentials and is a football journalist not a news reader. As much as he is a * wit, he is still a football journalist with good credentials. Her appointment makes the show less about football and that's my concern.

The reality is the Footy Show is losing the plot, it isn't really even about Football any more like with Sam's rants. I actually wish a football show would be about football even if its light hearted. I am Caroline Wilson's no 1 fan and think she is the best journalist bar none. However, your kidding if you think Rebecca Maddern has any real football credentials.

I'd love to replace Barrett with Caro if you wanted to do the PC thing and chuck a female in there as her knowledge is absolutely outstanding AND probably better than Barrett's. She deserves to be there. Where as, Maddern isn't there for her football knowledge, its just another PC decision by Channel 9.

Do I hope it works out? Yes of course as she will make it more about Geelong but your kidding yourself if her credentials can't be questioned. That's the problem here, you question a woman's credentials and your a misogynist. Equality is about questioning people about their talents and skills not their gender. I haven't made any comment about her gender, only her credentials.

As I said, this is no different to weather man David Brown taking over and she should be judged exactly the same. Its a questionable and decisive decision.

Last edited:
I'd love to replace Barrett with Caro if you wanted to do the PC thing and chuck a female in there as her knowledge is absolutely outstanding AND probably better than Barrett's. She deserves to be there. Where as, Maddern isn't there for her football knowledge, its just another PC decision by Channel 9.

Would Caro want to be on the same show as Sam?

It doesn't really matter. The Footy Show has been s**t for a long time, and there are plenty of panel shows about footy now. AFL 360, FC, On the Couch offer more serious takes on things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is your response suggesting that I don't like Maddern because she is female?

Brayshaw is at least a paid football commentator and is tested on his knowledge every weekend when he commentates. I don't necessarily think that makes him Mr Football but he has some credentials there. Maddern has none. I don't see where Maddern has any serious football background. And before you say that she is no 1 ticket holder, I wouldn't call Daryl Somers a football genius despite him being exceptionally passionate about football and Geelong.

However, the person she replaced though was Garry Lyon who has great credentials and is a football journalist not a news reader. As much as he is a **** wit, he is still a football journalist with good credentials. Her appointment makes the show less about football and that's my concern.

The reality is the Footy Show is losing the plot, it isn't really even about Football any more like with Sam's rants. I actually wish a football show would be about football even if its light hearted. I am Caroline Wilson's no 1 fan and think she is the best journalist bar none. However, your kidding if you think Rebecca Maddern has any real football credentials.

Do I hope it works out? Yes of course as she will make it more about Geelong but your kidding yourself if her credentials can't be questioned. That's the problem here, you question a woman's credentials and your a misogynist. Equality is about questioning people about their talents and skills not their gender. I haven't made any comment about her gender, only her credentials.

Gender is irrelevant as you have said. My statement was that IMO she had just as much qualification as Brayshaw had when he first got the gig. I am not sure calling footy on the radio gives you the qualifications.

In any case, I am not sure you need a tonne of qualifications anyway to host such a TV show. A broad understanding of the game and the goings-on would suffice - I can think of numerous sporting shows where the host had no experience in that particular sport. Johanna Griggs hosting the Aus Open coverage is an example. Adam Peacock hosting the EPL on Fox is another.

It is not as if the Footy Show goes into huge tactical dissection of games anyway, let's be honest.

Would Caro want to be on the same show as Sam?

It doesn't really matter. The Footy Show has been s**t for a long time, and there are plenty of panel shows about footy now. AFL 360, FC, On the Couch offer more serious takes on things.
I agree with you but people have every right to question the appointment of someone to that show with out being labelled a misogynist.

I agree with you but people have every right to question the appointment of someone to that show with out being labelled a misogynist.

I didnt label you any such thing, my point was entirely separate to the male/female issue.

Gender is irrelevant as you have said. My statement was that IMO she had just as much qualification as Brayshaw had when he first got the gig. I am not sure calling footy on the radio gives you the qualifications.

In any case, I am not sure you need a tonne of qualifications anyway to host such a TV show. A broad understanding of the game and the goings-on would suffice - I can think of numerous sporting shows where the host had no experience in that particular sport. Johanna Griggs hosting the Aus Open coverage is an example. Adam Peacock hosting the EPL on Fox is another.

It is not as if the Footy Show goes into huge tactical dissection of games anyway, let's be honest.
Brayshaw was at least a sports anchor, and was also both TV and Radio commentator prior to the Footy Show wasn't he? That is at least something in the CV. Maddern has nothing.

As I said, questioning her background and CV does not make someone a misogynist. It is perfectly reasonable to question someone's skills when being appointed to a show about a specific subject.

No it doesn't go into huge tactical discussions but knowledge and related media experience would be a good start. I hope she does well but its a light hearted football show. Its kind of a pre-requisite.

Brayshaw was at least a sports anchor, and was also both TV and Radio commentator prior to the Footy Show wasn't he? That is at least something in the CV. Maddern has nothing.

As I said, questioning her background and CV does not make someone a misogynist. It is perfectly reasonable to question someone's skills when being appointed to a show about a specific subject.

Of course it is reasonable, I was just offering another view, thats all. The hosts arent there to offer their expert opinions all the time anyway, i assume that is what the panel is for. IMO opinion no different to the guy who hosts the Back Page either. Just there to keep the ship moving in the right direction and divert the topics towards the experts assembled around him/her.

I didnt label you any such thing, my point was entirely separate to the male/female issue.
I'm sick of labels and you made labels. The left (which apparently you aren't) are great at trying to label everyone who believes something different to them as a "racist", a "misogynist", "homophobic" etc just because they question something. Not because they actually are any of those things. I question Maddern's fit for the show but once again the left wing army are out in force and about even if you disagree with the decision based on reasonable grounds. It's offensive and slanderous to people like me.

Your probably right I have been too harsh on you but I'm sick of the constant putting people down with these slanderous terms just because they disagree. Its a society wide issue and I wish such terms were kept out of football related topics. Football is a place to forget.

#overit

I'm sick of labels and you made labels. The left (which apparently you aren't) are great at trying to label everyone who believes something different to them as a "racist", a "misogynist", "homophobic" etc just because they question something. Not because they actually are any of those things. I question Maddern's fit for the show but once again the left wing army are out in force and about even if you disagree with the decision based on reasonable grounds. It's offensive and slanderous to people like me.

Your probably right I have been too harsh on you but I'm sick of the constant putting people down with these slanderous terms just because they disagree. Its a society wide issue and I wish such terms were kept out of football related topics. Football is a place to forget.

Umm mate, i think you have the wrong person. I didnt label you at all. The only thing i ever said to you was "I am not sure less qualified she is than Brayshaw was when he got the gig. He was a cricket player." It was somebody else who mentioned the "bogans and misogynists" stuff....

Umm mate, i think you have the wrong person. I didnt label you at all. The only thing i ever said to you was "I am not sure less qualified she is than Brayshaw was when he got the gig. He was a cricket player." It was somebody else who mentioned the "bogans and misogynists" stuff....
Ah my apologies. Sorry, its been a big day. My sincerest apologies.

I've watched the footy show about 20 times in the last 10 years.
But I might have to watch this to see how she goes.

I hope she's the reserved type. A tad dry even.

#overit

Probably touched a bit of sunburn there ..I didn't read Mattlock post as harsh as you did... but I agree.. label are necessary but also well and truly over done. Everyone fits into a little peg hole now , and all the little pegs have a slightly different shape , and all have a slightly different name. I will not go on its the wrong thread for it but its a PC pandemic.

As for TFS.. still will not watch it. Hopefully it doesn't just use her for joke fodder. How long will it be before someone says.. what would you know ..you haven't played the game. Hopefully it never happens but would anyone be surprised. How will it work when Newman wants to drip his pants or some such ribald behaviour. The show has all the tact and subtlety of Concrete chainsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back