Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond
And i'm not sure what happens for foreign investment. Maybe stamp duty should be waived for Australians, and increased threefold for overseas investors.
Communist.

Besides, there are already not enough tradies in the building industry to get sh*t done on time. Going to need people to build all these houses that could drive property and rental prices down.

We bought a house in a suburb surrounded by farmland 20 years ago for $260k, every time the valuation went up to $280k another new subdivision went in and the price dropped to $250k again. This went on until about 2015 when all the farms had been converted to tiny blocks with boxes. Sold after my marriage went belly up in 2016 for $360k, it was on the market last year for nearly $600k. :(

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
They have the power to raise the unemployment benefit but instead they blame unemployed Australians for not moving to the regions where there are jobs for (perhaps) 10% of Australia's unemployed population. All because of whingers who are surprised that people who don't live in a Third World country with a low cost of living don't want to do farm work. So all unemployed Australians need to suffer because a small percentage of them could theoretically be doing farm work.

Typical Coalition rubbish - all about posturing and nothing to do with logic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond
54,000 unfilled jobs in the regions, according to the article. Some of which, it must be said, aren't agricultural in nature.

Just be thankful this isn't the US. Their entire non-animal food production system would crash overnight if it wasn't for illegals working for next to nothing.

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Cost of living should be cheaper in regional areas, but i have to say the "apartment " ( flat ) market leaves me flabbergasted.

To me its insane that developers are buying a perfectly good house, knocking it down, squashing 6 apartments ( flats ) onto it and selling them each for the same price they bought the house originally. The insane people are those paying the money.

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond
horsham 290.jpg

This humpy can be yours in Horsham, at just $190 a week. F'in Horsham. Of all places.

I'm paying $260 a week, in country Vic that would get me a pretty average 2br house or a 1-2 br unit. Either of which would entail me selling off most of my possessions because there's no room.

Apologies/commiserations to anyone who actually lives in Horsham.

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
View attachment 1079807

This humpy can be yours in Horsham, at just $190 a week. F'in Horsham. Of all places.

I'm paying $260 a week, in country Vic that would get me a pretty average 2br house or a 1-2 br unit. Either of which would entail me selling off most of my possessions because there's no room.

Apologies/commiserations to anyone who actually lives in Horsham.
That's probably been built under bylaws as a granny flat, which means that technically , if the granny is gone, the flat should go.

eddiesmith

TheBrownDog
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I've found the biggest problem in regional Victoria is areas that appear to have never grown outside their original small footprint and all the houses are very, very old are very hard to find something you'd want to live in.

Better regional areas that have had newer houses built will offer a lot better and affordable options. You can get a fairly new 3 bedroom house for about 350-400 a week in some areas or an older style house for under 300.

It really depends on how many options there are in that market.

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I remember when they first started developing Packenham as a suburb.
3 Bedroom house and land package was $80 000. ( But tiny and not even a carport ).

They replaced the rotten windows with new aluminium ones in the old fibre cement commission homes in Morwell and sold them off, my brother bought one for $28 000. Hardly more than a basic new car back then, and whilst the house was a dump, it was fit for renting and was on a full 1/4 acre.

Probably this sort of crap.

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
I've found the biggest problem in regional Victoria is areas that appear to have never grown outside their original small footprint and all the houses are very, very old are very hard to find something you'd want to live in.

Better regional areas that have had newer houses built will offer a lot better and affordable options. You can get a fairly new 3 bedroom house for about 350-400 a week in some areas or an older style house for under 300.

It really depends on how many options there are in that market.
Snobbing the jobs and the houses

NSWCROW

TheBrownDog
Sep 16, 2006
NW SYNNEY
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
STURT - LIVERPOOL

I wonder what their "intensive training" will entail?
That doesn't specify if it's $25 a week on top of the permanent rate rise ( $50 a F/N ) starting after march.

Sounds like it's just the same one which just makes the past 24hrs on twitter an auspol wank

Last edited:

GreyCrow

TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox

It's always the "rogue operators"...
And yet the Morrison Government had an opportunity to wipe out these ''rogues'' and squibbed at the last minute - withdrawing a section that would have seen Directors responsible for underpaying workers

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Gerry Harvey: Absolute ******* scum of the earth.
So they were eligible for Jobkeeper based on the goverments rules, the business survived covid and is flourishing (like a sh*t load of businesses) and you expect them to pay back jobkeeper? A main reason for jobkeeper was to keep businesses afloat during the first 6 months of covid and then hiope they can stand on their own two feet....

I have no doubt (and i know first hand, alot of businesses have done this), that Big Businesses manufactured a result to become eligible for Jobkeeper. Was always going to happen especially with the 'one bad month gets you 6 months Jobkeeper' eligibility. It was very easy to manufacture results.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
So they were eligible for Jobkeeper based on the goverments rules, the business survived covid and is flourishing (like a sh*t load of businesses) and you expect them to pay back jobkeeper? A main reason for jobkeeper was to keep businesses afloat during the first 6 months of covid and then hiope they can stand on their own two feet....

I have no doubt (and i know first hand, alot of businesses have done this), that Big Businesses manufactured a result to become eligible for Jobkeeper. Was always going to happen especially with the 'one bad month gets you 6 months Jobkeeper' eligibility. It was very easy to manufacture results.
The problem is not the fact that they rorted the system to get Jobkeeper. The problem is that a) businesses like Harvey Norman laid people off over the duration of Jobkeeper and are now experiencing booms or record profits (ie, channelled jobkeeper directly into the shareholder's pockets instead of using it for what it is for) and b) the leniency with which these businesses are being treated by the same government that delivered Robodebt.

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The problem is not the fact that they rorted the system to get Jobkeeper. The problem is that a) businesses like Harvey Norman laid people off over the duration of Jobkeeper and are now experiencing booms or record profits (ie, channelled jobkeeper directly into the shareholder's pockets instead of using it for what it is for) and b) the leniency with which these businesses are being treated by the same government that delivered Robodebt.
They don't get jobkeeper for employees they fired during the jobkeepr period.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

Absolute ******* campaigner.

Australians are just too apathetic to get off their arses to do anything about these f***ers, unfortunately I think Australia as a country is going to have to become as completely deranged as the US before there is any real pushback.

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah nah, hmm. Lack of affordable housing and medical services is a biggie.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad