Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon

Yeah nah, hmm. Lack of affordable housing and medical services is a biggie.
Billy doesn't make a very convincing argument, it if he does the journalist hasn't articulated it. He says he wants to build experience, take a job. It doesn't have to be your last, and it will look better than 5 years of hanging out with your friends on your resume.

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I wrote something similar about relative importance of social life then reread the article. My lack of empathy is probably from not having a support network myself so it isn't a consideration for me.

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Billy doesn't make a very convincing argument, it if he does the journalist hasn't articulated it. He says he wants to build experience, take a job. It doesn't have to be your last, and it will look better than 5 years of hanging out with your friends on your resume.
I kind of have issues with people saying "my mental health will suffer".
Unless they already have had issues, its setting yourself up for failure i think.

Its like going into a footy game thinking " i'm gong to be sh*t today". Thinking like that you probably will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I kind of have issues with people saying "my mental health will suffer".
Unless they already have had issues, its setting yourself up for failure i think.

Its like going into a footy game thinking " i'm gong to be sh*t today". Thinking like that you probably will.
I see your POV, but people who think like that are IMO likely to have had or now have notable mental problems, possibly to a degree where it has actually affected their work or studies.

Hence, their pessimism is probably due to past negative conditioning or reinforcement, which is difficult to break for a sustained period.

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

I do odd jobs to supplement the dole - didn't realise that anything I earn over $150 is now (effectively) taxed by 50% and anything over $250 is at 60%. What an incentive to get off your arse. So if I do as I did a couple of weeks ago and drove a van for 14 hours and picked up $250, and another couple of short trips for $100, they will cut the dole by $110. So much for being honest and declaring what I get.

They estimate another 150,000 will become unemployed as a result of JK ending. f***ers are crowing that job advertisements increased by 7 per cent in February to 192,000 vacancies. But the not-so-good news is that for every entry-level job out there, 60 people happen to be looking for work, according to ACOSS spokeswoman Cassandra Goldie.

GreyCrow

TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox

I do odd jobs to supplement the dole - didn't realise that anything I earn over $150 is now (effectively) taxed by 50% and anything over $250 is at 60%. What an incentive to get off your arse. So if I do as I did a couple of weeks ago and drove a van for 14 hours and picked up $250, and another couple of short trips for $100, they will cut the dole by $110. So much for being honest and declaring what I get.

They estimate another 150,000 will become unemployed as a result of JK ending. f***ers are crowing that job advertisements increased by 7 per cent in February to 192,000 vacancies. But the not-so-good news is that for every entry-level job out there, 60 people happen to be looking for work, according to ACOSS spokeswoman Cassandra Goldie.
Was in the same position as you - but there needs to be a level . It may be the Tax structure that needs looking at more than the income

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond
There seems to be a bit of pushback about the "doomsday" 150,000 job losses.

"We believe that in the order of 100,000 to 150,000 JobKeeper recipients may lose employment at the completion of the program, though there is a wide band of uncertainty around this estimate," Treasury secretary Dr Steven Kennedy told Senate Estimates this week.
"Employment will continue to increase over the course of this year, although the unemployment rate could rise a little over coming months before resuming its downward trajectory."
That estimate from Treasury is in the same ballpark as estimates by other economists, including Danielle Wood from the Grattan Institute and analysts at the Commonwealth Bank.

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

You should get less dole when earning taxable income.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Plenty of jobs in the regions just no accommodation

Hungry tourists are heading home from popular regional destinations, disappointed they could not get a restaurant table.

Largely due to massive staff shortages, many restaurants in regional Victoria are now unable to operate at full capacity, or open their doors at all.

"There is no housing for workers.
A lot has been snapped up by holiday rentals.
There could be 60 people waiting for a long-term rental property and then starts a bidding war.
This scares me because my staffs' leases are coming up for renewal."

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Plenty of jobs in the regions just no accommodation

Hungry tourists are heading home from popular regional destinations, disappointed they could not get a restaurant table.

Largely due to massive staff shortages, many restaurants in regional Victoria are now unable to operate at full capacity, or open their doors at all.

"There is no housing for workers.
A lot has been snapped up by holiday rentals.
There could be 60 people waiting for a long-term rental property and then starts a bidding war.
This scares me because my staffs' leases are coming up for renewal."

Even the 'plenty of jobs in the regions' thing makes me sceptical.

Plenty of backpackers still in the country.

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Even the 'plenty of jobs in the regions' thing makes me sceptical.

Plenty of backpackers still in the country.
I know our town cant get tradies even with a massive population increase due to covid and a building boom because of lack of rentals
Everyones making money renting to DIDO miners for big bucks or AirBnB

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
If you're down and out, what better than a foot on your throat to encourage you to get back on your feet.

https://theconversation.com/the-tru...its-as-if-it-didnt-learn-from-robodebt-158059

They promised that smarter use of technology would “better manage our social welfare system to ensure that every dollar goes to those who need it most” and predicted it would save the budget $2 billion.

The kindest thing that can be said about what happened is that they didn’t follow through with the details, at considerable human cost.

It would be great to see something – anything – that made it look as if, five years on, they have learned from what happened.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
If you're down and out, what better than a foot on your throat to encourage you to get back on your feet.

https://theconversation.com/the-tru...its-as-if-it-didnt-learn-from-robodebt-158059
"
Its unsolicited “robodebt” demands for repayments of thousands of dollars per recipient the Federal Court found was not owed caused what another Senate inquiry found to be “breakdown, anxiety, depression requiring medication, sleeplessness, stress causing physical illness, and fear”.
"

But we have a gaggle of people roaring in protest when you point out the fact Robodebt caused suicides.

Reading this, it caused a range of medical issues in people who were attacked by the Robodebt system and the callous people who set it in motion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad