Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of jobs in the regions just no accommodation

Hungry tourists are heading home from popular regional destinations, disappointed they could not get a restaurant table.

Largely due to massive staff shortages, many restaurants in regional Victoria are now unable to operate at full capacity, or open their doors at all.

"There is no housing for workers.
A lot has been snapped up by holiday rentals.
There could be 60 people waiting for a long-term rental property and then starts a bidding war.
This scares me because my staffs' leases are coming up for renewal."

Even the 'plenty of jobs in the regions' thing makes me sceptical.

Plenty of backpackers still in the country.

Even the 'plenty of jobs in the regions' thing makes me sceptical.

Plenty of backpackers still in the country.
I know our town cant get tradies even with a massive population increase due to covid and a building boom because of lack of rentals
Everyones making money renting to DIDO miners for big bucks or AirBnB

If you're down and out, what better than a foot on your throat to encourage you to get back on your feet.

https://theconversation.com/the-tru...its-as-if-it-didnt-learn-from-robodebt-158059

They promised that smarter use of technology would “better manage our social welfare system to ensure that every dollar goes to those who need it most” and predicted it would save the budget $2 billion.

The kindest thing that can be said about what happened is that they didn’t follow through with the details, at considerable human cost.

It would be great to see something – anything – that made it look as if, five years on, they have learned from what happened.

Last edited:

If you're down and out, what better than a foot on your throat to encourage you to get back on your feet.

https://theconversation.com/the-tru...its-as-if-it-didnt-learn-from-robodebt-158059
"
Its unsolicited “robodebt” demands for repayments of thousands of dollars per recipient the Federal Court found was not owed caused what another Senate inquiry found to be “breakdown, anxiety, depression requiring medication, sleeplessness, stress causing physical illness, and fear”.
"

But we have a gaggle of people roaring in protest when you point out the fact Robodebt caused suicides.

Reading this, it caused a range of medical issues in people who were attacked by the Robodebt system and the callous people who set it in motion.

Words fail me for once. Blockchain (it's what plants crave!) coming soon to a One App To Rule Them All near you.

The logical followup to fortnightly reporting going from two lines on one web page to 16 pages. It's all about compliance and tripping people up - and you have to prove you were not at fault, not they have to prove you were.

From the "well, duhh" file:

How do you just sack someone and replace them with 2 or 3 others?

Seems like a pretty good incentive for people to start getting unionised again.

I joined one for the first time in about 10 years last month because I don't trust my employer as far as I can throw them.

Words fail me for once. Blockchain (it's what plants crave!) coming soon to a One App To Rule Them All near you.

The logical followup to fortnightly reporting going from two lines on one web page to 16 pages. It's all about compliance and tripping people up - and you have to prove you were not at fault, not they have to prove you were.

Why send out investigators to check up on people when you can spy on them with an app?

R
Right wing politicians are just frightfully bad people.

It's not just right wingers that receive it, it's definitely one area where there is bipartisan agreement along with their pay rises.

I lived in Canberra for 5 or 6 years and the rumours were rife of the pollies using their daily allowance for buying properties, pooling their money with other pollies, even those from the other side to do it. Putting them in partner's names and paying them rent when they stayed in them, family trusts, whatever else they could come up with.

campaigners.

It seems that with Sussan Ley all has been forgiven after ripping us all off to buy an $800,000 investment property on a whim.

campaigner.

Spend some money to build accommodation for politicians at HMAS Harman in Canberra. Then remove the $280 per night they claim, and inform them that they can live at HMAS Harman when they are in Canberra and be feed out of the current mess hall on base. If they don't like the accommodation and meals provided, then they can pay for other accommodation out of their own pocket.

They had some great recreational facilities at Harman when I lived there for 3 or so years. The housing was old, but it was generally in good repair and cheap. Great gym, footy oval, cricket oval, 25m outdoor pool, beautifully refurbished Junior Sailor's piss bar with dirt cheap booze and big theatre room for big sporting events, pistol range, close proximity to Queanbeyan for shopping or a leagues club or RSL and not that far from Parliament House, Manuka and Kingston for a trendy cafe or restaurant.

Put 'em in the lines at RMC Duntroon, closer to work for them, or even house them at ADFA.

I'm getting sick and tired of some people saying 'I've always worked, I've never been on Centrelink.'

Cool!

I have always worked and I have never been on Centrelink but know I'd be ****ed if it happened to me. I turn 53 in June, I'm a realist, I know my chances if I were to become unemployed, I don't have a trade or professional qualification to help me out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had some great recreational facilities at Harman when I lived there for 3 or so years. The housing was old, but it was generally in good repair and cheap. Great gym, footy oval, cricket oval, 25m outdoor pool, beautifully refurbished Junior Sailor's piss bar with dirt cheap booze and big theatre room for big sporting events, pistol range, close proximity to Queanbeyan for shopping or a leagues club or RSL and not that far from Parliament House, Manuka and Kingston for a trendy cafe or restaurant.

Put 'em in the lines at RMC Duntroon, closer to work for them, or even house them at ADFA.
I was only at HMAS Harman 18 months ago and all of the married quarters have been knocked down and the land is cleared. There is more than enough room at Harman to build accommodation for visiting MP's when in Canberra. Provide MP's the same standard that ADF are provided through the new LEAP accommodation that defence builds Australia wide. Each MP would get their own room with Kitchen, ensuite, queens size bed, balcony, Tv etc. Take away their $280 per night allowance and say here's your room with all facilities you require, to the same standard we apply to our Defence members.

https://plenarygroup.com/projects/asia-pacific/single-leap-1

leap-1-1.270c319c.865e7318.jpg

Shared accommodation blocks and Junior Sailors bar (with pool) at Harman used to be great, definitely politician suitable

Used to be cheap drinks on Thursday night at the bar called "Bop and Flop" plenty of opportunities for unsolicited groping

Head on into Mooseheads after and pick fights with ADFA cadets ..................

Let them eat at the Central Cafe in Queanbeyan, used to do a ripper chicken salad !

Last edited:
Shared accommodation blocks and Junior Sailors bar (with pool) at Harman used to be great, definitely politician suitable

Used to be cheap drinks on Thursday night at the bar called "Bop and Flop" plenty of opportunities for unsolicited groping

Head on into Moosehads after and pick fights with ADFA cadets ..................

Let them eat at the Central Cafe in Queanbeyan, used to do a ripper chicken salad !

Central Cafe, all the waitresses were hot redheads when I used to go, the meals were massive, the Brumbies and Raiders used to eat there a bit because of the size of the meals I'd say. It did close down for awhile but I remember seeing a post of fb not too long ago saying that it was re-opening.

I used to walk to the Cafe from Harman every Saturday or Sunday in the early nineties

Half a chicken on salad with an iced coffee for 14 bucks, price stayed the same for years, ripper place

They had a deal where if you could eat all of their big breakfast fry up, they would give you one for free (was bloody huge) never saw anyone do it

I was at Harman in 89 then from 92 - 96, great Navy posting

I played a season of footy with the Harman Hoggies

Last edited:
I used to walk to the Cafe from Harman every Saturday or Sunday in the early nineties

Half a chicken on salad with an iced coffee for 14 bucks, price stayed the same for years, ripper place

They had a deal where if you could eat all of their big breakfast fry up, they would give you one for free (was bloody huge) never saw anyone do it

I was at Harman in 89 then from 92 - 96, great Navy posting

I played a season of footy with the Harman Hoggies

Never played footy, knew a few that did. I played a few seasons of cricket with them.

They spent about $500,000 refurbishing the JS piss bar and no one used it outside of the sporting clubs. I asked some young blokes why they didn't drink there and they always said they preferred going into Queanbeyan or the city.

I asked them why they didn't have a few drinks for a dollar something a stubby before they went out instead of paying $5.50 at the joints they were going to? Never an answer, they were mad. s**t, when the bar closed I know the SS mess had coke vending machines with beer in them for a dollar a can.

cap understood.jpg

That, and conditions that are debilitating yet don't involve levels of limb withering, involuntary twitching and drooling.
Even those who have physical symptoms, if it is from an unknown cause with an unknown outcome, will a bean counter tick off on treatments or say they aren't cost effective?

I'm guessing the beurocrat is going to be judged on what the financial scorecard says and not the effectiveness of the scheme...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back