Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty much your whole argument.

Its illogical garbage.

Because one person who applied for a job now can't work some hours every one of the 20 or 30 people who apply for these positions is exactly that sort of person and the fact that its only 20 or 30 instead of 300 (for one job!! - how f’ed up is the economy then?) means the other 270 odd people are all dole bludgers.

I'll bet you think the left are the ones who get off on outrage.
I don't know what the left or right are so you can say whatever about that

Just saying what he told us, was a chatty catty old mate. The one person who he hired that day, I would presume, would have been the best of the 20-30 who applied. Then an HR later turns around and says he want work certain nights.....wasn't the only one he mentioned who say they want the job (working in a restaurant) and can't work nights etc.....

I don't know what the other 270 odd are doing, he says alot of waiting staff don't want to work as they are on jobseeker......

He says he doesn't pay cash wages either so would cut over 50% of people looking for a job in hospitality

Just his word, I found it interesting

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
With the obligatory "it's not just women" caveat:

A few things dont ring right to me

She has moved all over the place - so has no specific preference in where she lives - apart from medical needs
Has a DP - is therefore locked into the Social system and has access to all that offers ( plus the downsides)
Thinks because of her DP rental is outside her means

If she is willing to live anywhere ( as by her house sitting) then there are many areas she could move to that gives her access to cheap rental , medical and social needs

*not minimising the concerns raised by the article as our receptionist has moved on because of these fears and no guarantees of work

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
bad for the employer because they need to sift through so many.

They don't. Skim through to find a few likelies and bin the rest. JSP last week was saying to dumb down my resume and cut it to two pages (how do you fit 40 years experience in different industries into two pages?) and jazz up the cover letter because that was the only thing that was going to be looked at.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
They don't. Skim through to find a few likelies and bin the rest. JSP last week was saying to dumb down my resume and cut it to two pages (how do you fit 40 years experience in different industries into two pages?) and jazz up the cover letter because that was the only thing that was going to be looked at.
One employer , near me , told me straight out '' every applicant from north of the city gets binned''

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
On 'Insiders' today Frydenberg kept on with his line that the boost to Jobseeker was always going to be temporary and the government doesn't want to bake in increased spending. I guess an adequate safety net for the Australians you serve is not worthwhile expenditure then ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have less money after paying a bill, seems normal.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Genuine question.

Any particular reason you're posting in this thread ?

Only a few days. At least I have 150km left in the tank and the power bill is paid. The dough I saved from the corona supplement is being jealously guarded and will only be used in emergency.

Ok - at least the rent & power is taken care of. I'd do the same, and I hope others have done similar. :)

Probably to wind me up, but it's fruitless as I have the Esteemed Person on ignore. What did they say? Anything sensible?
Nothing in particular, just interested to know.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I had a very strange call from a hiring manager last year for a job I applied for. It was in the country as if moved up there but all my experience is in Melbourne so they called to ask if I knew where the job was actually located...

My address for the application was clearly nearby to the job but whatever. Didn’t get an interview and whoever they hired was possibly no good as the job was up for grabs again 6 months later!

Genuine question.

Any particular reason you're posting in this thread ?

TBH this thread was originally about how Centerlink as an entity performed, rather than the government's rules for how much welfare people were provided with or whether they should be trying to get a job or not.

I think the consensus was that they sucked.
Million dollar question being do they suck on purpose.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
I had a very strange call from a hiring manager last year for a job I applied for. It was in the country as if moved up there but all my experience is in Melbourne so they called to ask if I knew where the job was actually located...

My address for the application was clearly nearby to the job but whatever. Didn’t get an interview and whoever they hired was possibly no good as the job was up for grabs again 6 months later!

That story isn't a surprise because i know someone who applied for a job in Melbourne that they had experience doing but they were rejected because the recruiter insisted that the experience had to be in Melbourne.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
No, I did not apply for that one. Ethical issues.

Similar role in a cheese factory in the northern suburbs, holding out a bit of hope for that.
What were the ethical concerns about, overfishing?

Hopefully you get the cheese gig. Mate of mine worked off and on in something similar in the North of the state. Big employer up there. Think he's back there again actually.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
TBH this thread was originally about how Centerlink as an entity performed, rather than the government's rules for how much welfare people were provided with or whether they should be trying to get a job or not.

I think the consensus was that they sucked.
Million dollar question being do they suck on purpose.
Yes they suck on purpose, because the Coalition hates welfare and fixing welfare isn't much of a vote-winner for Labor.

Yes they suck on purpose, because the Coalition hates welfare and fixing welfare isn't much of a vote-winner for Labor.

Still think they could do the same crap job cheaper.
Like they could replace the staff with chimpanzee's but then they'd need to find jobs for the staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back