Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

There's going to be a lot of idiot Liberal voting sheep on JobKeeper who will be getting an ugly surprise at the art of April.
I think the Coalition has looked at their internal polling and made a calculated decision that the community outrage over this, and the ranks of unemployed Australians, won't be big enough to cost them seats.

Overall the plight of unemployed people doesn't get that much traction, now that unemployment is back below 7%. This country has a cultural problem where people out of work are seen as the 'other'.

In case you missed it, your fed govt on why they get $280 a day and Newstart is $300 a week

Spend some money to build accommodation for politicians at HMAS Harman in Canberra. Then remove the $280 per night they claim, and inform them that they can live at HMAS Harman when they are in Canberra and be feed out of the current mess hall on base. If they don't like the accommodation and meals provided, then they can pay for other accommodation out of their own pocket.

Spend some money to build accommodation for politicians at HMAS Harman in Canberra. Then remove the $280 per night they claim, and inform them that they can live at HMAS Harman when they are in Canberra and be feed out of the current mess hall on base. If they don't like the accommodation and meals provided, then they can pay for other accommodation out of their own pocket.

It's been a dodgy perk for years

Many poli's actually share houses together to keep costs extremely low and pocket the lot.

Change it to a receipt required for every cost with a per day cap, and watch everything change

And all of them do it, not just alp or libs

tl;dr

One of those companies was AP Eagers, Australia's biggest car retailing group.
It declared a profit after tax of $156 million despite experiencing historically low sales in April and May during the lockdowns.
It received JobKeeper subsidies worth $130.5 million from Australia's government, and $4 million in wage subsidies from New Zealand's government.

It said it would be paying dividends to its shareholders worth $64 million this year — including $17 million to the billionaire Nick Politis, who chairs the Sydney Roosters National Rugby League club and owns 27 per cent of the car group's shares through his company WFM Motors.

AP Eagers chief executive Martin Ward said the company wouldn't be repaying any of the $130 million in JobKeeper subsidies because he believed the money was used "for the right intentions"

campaigners.

tl;dr

One of those companies was AP Eagers, Australia's biggest car retailing group.
It declared a profit after tax of $156 million despite experiencing historically low sales in April and May during the lockdowns.
It received JobKeeper subsidies worth $130.5 million from Australia's government, and $4 million in wage subsidies from New Zealand's government.

It said it would be paying dividends to its shareholders worth $64 million this year — including $17 million to the billionaire Nick Politis, who chairs the Sydney Roosters National Rugby League club and owns 27 per cent of the car group's shares through his company WFM Motors.

AP Eagers chief executive Martin Ward said the company wouldn't be repaying any of the $130 million in JobKeeper subsidies because he believed the money was used "for the right intentions"

campaigners.
Jobkeeper was terribly set up from the outset. I commented on this on the covid threads at the time. Should have been a month by month thing.

People expecting companies to pay it back though is laughable. Why would you? Government screws everyone over at some point, may as well make good when they * up and give you free money.

So many ma and pa businesses have benefited the same way.

And the idea of jobkeeper was to keep people in jobs, it did that, otherwise they didn't get the payments.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Jobkeeper was terribly set up from the outset. I commented on this on the covid threads at the time. Should have been a month by month thing.

People expecting companies to pay it back though is laughable. Why would you? Government screws everyone over at some point, may as well make good when they fu** up and give you free money.

So many ma and pa businesses have benefited the same way.

And the idea of jobkeeper was to keep people in jobs, it did that, otherwise they didn't get the payments.

The Victorian Government incorrectly paid small businesses money and are demanding their money back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a dodgy perk for years

Many poli's actually share houses together to keep costs extremely low and pocket the lot.

Change it to a receipt required for every cost with a per day cap, and watch everything change

And all of them do it, not just alp or libs
It's an allowance. It's a way of keeping salaries lower but still paying the person in the job more. How many people receive "uniform allowance" when uniforms are supplied, etc?

To the best of my knowledge, lowering the allowance would lead to increased salaries which means the cost goes up for super payments and redundancies.

In case you missed it, your fed govt on why they get $280 a day and Newstart is $300 a week

It's interesting, because the whole Mr and Mrs Potatohead just came through my field of vision and apparently that's the rage of the week, rather than this cesspool of a situation.

It was. We had to submit monthly financials.
Nope, wrong. you qualified based on one month. The other 5 months meant nothing for the first 6 months.

And that gave businesses months in advance to get ready for the next lot of rules that again lasted 3 months. Rinse repeat.

Call it politics of envy if you like, but this whole jobkeeper rort was ****ed on so many levels it is sickening.

tl;dr ineligible hugely profitable multi-billion company hits up the government for jobkeeper and gets a fast-track OK by running it through a profitable subsidiary which was *forecast* to reduce turnover - not actual, but forecast - but which continued to increase turnover and profit.

It's so good of them to voluntarily pay back just over half the money they effectively stole, but are keeping the rest as they have no legal obligation to do so.

Christian Porter, Federal Attorney General and alleged rapist, claims that there is no rule of law if there is an investigation and he is called up to prove his innocence about an alleged incident many years ago which lacks evidence or proof today, because he claims he is being effectively presumed guilty.

Christian Porter, former Social Security Minister, designed the Robodebt system, whereby the accused are said to be guilty over alleged incidents many years ago, not provided with evidence or proof and they have to prove their innocence because they are presumed guilty. And the penalties start immediately.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking. Ditto the irony.

Biggest campaigner in parliament. And that is really, really saying something.

It's interesting, because the whole Mr and Mrs Potatohead just came through my field of vision and apparently that's the rage of the week, rather than this cesspool of a situation.

gotta keep ‘em distracted

Call it politics of envy if you like, but this whole jobkeeper rort was f’ed on so many levels it is sickening.

tl;dr ineligible hugely profitable multi-billion company hits up the government for jobkeeper and gets a fast-track OK by running it through a profitable subsidiary which was *forecast* to reduce turnover - not actual, but forecast - but which continued to increase turnover and profit.

It's so good of them to voluntarily pay back just over half the money they effectively stole, but are keeping the rest as they have no legal obligation to do so.

Yeah anytime you see 'they applied under special circumstances' or 'had a meeting with the ATO' - fair chance they've swindled their way into it somehow.....$$$ or something else.

Scumbag organisation who hold you accountable but never admit fault themselves.
We have young children and receive family tax benefit and as is the norm every year, after doing our tax returns they reconcilliate and balance it.
As a habit we always over estimate our income to avoid a debt.
Last year my Wife went to the local office and whilst there was told she would be receiving almost 8k. She questioned this as it had never been anywhere near that much and after checking again was told it was correct, 2 days later it turned up in her account.
Fast forward to early January this year and she receives a letter saying we owe them almost 8k and pay up.
So we head down the office, nope not interested call this number.
2 hours later we'd been accused of underestimating as id changed mine 3 times, i said thats because my income changed, i went from working, to out of a job when COVID hit and a month later on to Jobkeeper so i adjusted accordingly and accurately, what more can you do.
Then they said my Wifes tax return was submitted late so they didnt get notification from ATO, nope, tax return submitted on 2/7 day after mine and finalised in 17/7.
Then they said they paid her the 8k because she hadnt worked in that financial year, nope, you dont do tax returns if you dont work.
It was then that the penny dropped, they did the reconcilliation without receiving one of the two triggers their system uses, either confirmation from ATO of tax return finalised or notification of being a non lodger.
I asked why that would happen as its never happened before, their answer, dont know, you can lodge a review of decision but as you werent entitled to the money you'll still have to pay it back regardless of how you got it.
So there you go, we did nothing wrong, were accused of doing everything wrong and when pushed to admit it was their mistake, washed their hands of it and said pay up.
I dont have a problem paying it back, we shouldnt have received it, but fair dinkum, own your mistake and stop treating people like criminals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back