Club Mgmt. CEO: Craig Vozzo - Letter to members, two radio interviews in three days - 17/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Eagles list boss lands at Bombers in new role​

Veteran recruiter Rohan O'Brien has reunited with former colleague Craig Vozzo at Essendon
000df8ac-1600.jpg

I heard Vozzo mentioning we are looking to play more games at the G and our tenure at Marvel Stadium is about to come up to expiry.

easy for me to say as someone in Sydney, but I've never really understood the passionate debate about this. The spilt is 7/4 right? this year the MCG games are Hawks, Collingwood, Carlton and Freo. Do we need another home game at the MCG this year so we can play against WC at the G and get the same crowd as at the dome? When people say they want more games at the G, are they envisioning the blockbusters against the Giants and Lions and the Devils? [note: I do not care about Essendon fans who are MCC members and so want more MCG games because it's nice for them. sorry not sorry]

The issue we've had in the past are the seasons where we have a home game against Melbourne, which we always end up hosting at the MCG, because the Demon fans are cry babies who refuse to go to the Dome and for some reason we say ok, we'll play at the G, which means we've sometimes had to have a Hawks game at the Dome. A 6/5 Dome:G spilt to give us a little wiggle room would be welcome, but is much more really needed? and particularly if the finances don't line up

I heard Vozzo mentioning we are looking to play more games at the G and our tenure at Marvel Stadium is about to come up to expiry.
Yep. This is at odds with what the AFL want us to do though. Things might get a little interesting.

Yep. This is at odds with what the AFL want us to do though. Things might get a little interesting.
And it comes just in time for Hawthorn to be kicked out of Tasmania. There could be a situation where Hawthorn are forced to split their home games between Marvel and the MCG, which may give Essendon more room to increase home games at the MCG.

And it comes just in time for Hawthorn to be kicked out of Tasmania. There could be a situation where Hawthorn are forced to split their home games between Marvel and the MCG, which may give Essendon more room to increase home games at the MCG.
I don’t think hawthorn are going to get kicked out of Tasmania though/ they won’t want to leave. They’ve got like 15k members down there.

easy for me to say as someone in Sydney, but I've never really understood the passionate debate about this. The spilt is 7/4 right? this year the MCG games are Hawks, Collingwood, Carlton and Freo. Do we need another home game at the MCG this year so we can play against WC at the G and get the same crowd as at the dome? When people say they want more games at the G, are they envisioning the blockbusters against the Giants and Lions and the Devils? [note: I do not care about Essendon fans who are MCC members and so want more MCG games because it's nice for them. sorry not sorry]

The issue we've had in the past are the seasons where we have a home game against Melbourne, which we always end up hosting at the MCG, because the Demon fans are cry babies who refuse to go to the Dome and for some reason we say ok, we'll play at the G, which means we've sometimes had to have a Hawks game at the Dome. A 6/5 Dome:G spilt to give us a little wiggle room would be welcome, but is much more really needed? and particularly if the finances don't line up
The club could play in a shoe box and charge a squillion to go see them and make money like the cats do. Or they could play at the 'G and draw the biggest crowds and be the biggest club like the Pies, Tiges do. But
You can't fight city hall. The MCG ship has sailed and we got off it thinking we'd be West Coast. Instead we gave pies, tiges and even hawkes a leg up and they all went on to get massive membership figures.

It's probably now in our financial interests to play at Marvel, but the club loses nothing by beating their chests about more MCG games to appease a section of supporters regardless of whether or not that's achievable.

i hope so

we outgrew that stadium a long time ago.
AFL does risk seat fees for the ticketed games, so i can see why they want us to stay.

The club could play in a shoe box and charge a squillion to go see them and make money like the cats do. Or they could play at the 'G and draw the biggest crowds and be the biggest club like the Pies, Tiges do. But

You can't fight city hall. The MCG ship has sailed and we got off it thinking we'd be West Coast. Instead we gave pies, tiges and even hawkes a leg up and they all went on to get massive membership figures.

It's probably now in our financial interests to play at Marvel, but the club loses nothing by beating their chests about more MCG games to appease a section of supporters regardless of whether or not that's achievable.
All that is true to an extent, but I don't think we've ever sold out of reserve seat memberships. In fact we reduced the number of reserved seat areas at Marvel a few years ago, with the reserved seats behind goal on level 3 all being reallocated to the wings. Evidently we couldn't sell them.

Would be more of an issue if we did what the Pies Tigs and Hawkes did and won a couple of flags in the last 20 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Letter from the CEO for the start of the season

Dear Members,
It’s great to be writing to you on the eve of our AFL season – it’s finally here!
The start of a season is an exciting time for any football club, and for me personally, I have sensed the excitement of many of the Bomber faithful in recent months at our open training sessions, Family Day and other member and supporter events.
The build up to our AFL season has felt long at times and all roads now lead to the MCG tomorrow afternoon as our AFL team kicks off its 2024 campaign against old rivals Hawthorn.
Our players and staff have worked incredibly hard over the pre-season to try and maximise the opportunity to improve and prepare for the marathon that is an AFL season. The footy gods have been mostly kind to us over the pre-season, as we take a healthy squad into round one. We will continue to support Kaine Baldwin and Jaiden Hunter as they recover from their longer-term injuries.
In recent months, we’ve spoken about a sense of urgency within the playing group. There’s no doubt in my mind that there is a keen excitement and focus to improve, and importantly, this focus and drive has been led by our senior players. The leadership and energy of Zach Merrett, Andy McGrath and our other senior players, has been clear to see and will hold us in good stead as we continue to build towards the success we are all craving.
On Saturday we will honour and celebrate the 40-year anniversary of our 1984 and 1985 Premiership teams. Led by Senior Coach Kevin Sheedy, Essendon champions like Terry Daniher, Tim Watson, Simon Madden Paul Vander Haar, Mark Harvey and Mark ‘Bomber’ Thompson, this team is recognised as one of the great Essendon sides. From 1.00pm, all available past-players will be celebrated in a motorcade around the MCG with the Premiership cups.
We urge all Bomber fans to ‘Stand Your Ground’ at the MCG this Saturday, which is a theme that emerged during the 1984 season after we suffered a devastating loss against Hawthorn in the 1983 Grand Final. To cement this game as an annual round one blockbuster, we need the Bomber faithful to turnout in strong force as we aim break the home and away record of 78,294 between these two iconic clubs.
We’d also like to thank all our loyal members who have signed up this season. We are currently sitting on 67,531 members, which is well ahead of the same time last year and pleasingly we are on track to break our pre round one membership record.
The club successfully held its first Bomberthon Member Blitz last week. All staff and players were on the phones throughout the day connecting with as many of you as possible. By 6pm, we had called 4,467 members and our players themselves had spoken to over 1,000 members.
Afterall, we are a member-based club and being able to talk directly with you is an important connection initiative for us. I personally heard many great stories and enjoyed the experience of hearing feedback from the people I spoke with.
We will continue to focus on building even greater connection with our Bomber Community and initiatives like Members Fest, Snap & Sign Sessions and our enhanced First Class digital offering will drive the connection with our members and supporters.
The commitment of our players to the Essendon Football Club and its amazing members and supporters, serves to enhance the culture we are trying to build and drive. In the last few weeks, it has been exciting to announce the important re-signings of Kyle Langford, Jordan Ridley and Elijah Tsatas. The stability we are building around our core playing group is critical to the team’s long-term success. As Brad has mentioned recently, we are aiming to develop a strong and committed group of players who will hopefully play a lot of football together in the coming years as we build our way back up the ladder and towards our goal of sustained success.
Team and club commitment extends to our AFLW program. This week we have had some incredibly exciting announcements with 16 of our AFLW players re-committing to the Club - led by Co-Captain Bonnie Toogood, Maddy Prespakis, Sophie Van De Heuvel and Steph Wales, who each signed-on for at least four more years. We’re excited about all our re-signings and the foundations we continue to build for our AFLW team. Whilst the AFLW squad remains in their off-season period, it’s wonderful to see so many of the players regularly at the club as they strive to improve each day. This hard work and commitment will pay them back during the expanded 2024 AFLW season which will officially commence in the final week of August.
Finally, I’d sincerely like to thank all our members for your loyalty and commitment to our club – it’s not something we take lightly. We are committed as a club to working hard and giving our very best to deliver the success we are all craving for our great club.
Let's stand together, let's stand loud and Stand Your Ground at the MCG against the Hawks tomorrow afternoon.
Go Bombers!
Craig

All that is true to an extent, but I don't think we've ever sold out of reserve seat memberships. In fact we reduced the number of reserved seat areas at Marvel a few years ago, with the reserved seats behind goal on level 3 all being reallocated to the wings. Evidently we couldn't sell them.

Would be more of an issue if we did what the Pies Tigs and Hawkes did and won a couple of flags in the last 20 years
i've stopped going (AFL member) to Marvel as i refuse to pay for the seat "Upgrade"
i don't even sit at Marvel. Prefer to stand.

Will be glad to see the back of our home games there

i've stopped going (AFL member) to Marvel as i refuse to pay for the seat "Upgrade"
i don't even sit at Marvel. Prefer to stand.

Will be glad to see the back of our home games there
I have a reserved seat at both grounds, but I do find Marvel a bit soulless. I think it's the roof that does it, the acoustics are s**t but you can't see the sky either and it feels very artificial. The sound and light show is cool though, I guess. And on the other hand, Marvel is much easier to get to. If the trains let me down or if I go with a group, there's a fair amount of parking there that's reasonably priced and available.

The MCG has a habit of closing Yarra Park while the trains are down and the only alternative really is to drive to a different train line or park in the city and get a tram out, or equivalent options. Sometimes I park near Marvel and get the train back to Richmond 🤣 Drives me nuts but if I do actually get there, it has a great vibe (except when it's freezing). Yarra Park also fills up pretty fast if you're expecting 80-90k against Collingwood or something, so it's still relatively useless. They really should build an underground carpark there and keep the park as a park.

I have a reserved seat at both grounds, but I do find Marvel a bit soulless. I think it's the roof that does it, the acoustics are s**t but you can't see the sky either and it feels very artificial. The sound and light show is cool though, I guess. And on the other hand, Marvel is much easier to get to. If the trains let me down or if I go with a group, there's a fair amount of parking there that's reasonably priced and available.

The MCG has a habit of closing Yarra Park while the trains are down and the only alternative really is to drive to a different train line or park in the city and get a tram out, or equivalent options. Sometimes I park near Marvel and get the train back to Richmond 🤣 Drives me nuts but if I do actually get there, it has a great vibe (except when it's freezing). Yarra Park also fills up pretty fast if you're expecting 80-90k against Collingwood or something, so it's still relatively useless. They really should build an underground carpark there and keep the park as a park.
i have a few city spots i park at for the G as i prefer a small walk post-game after sitting for so long. And it allows time for the traffic to clear

Trains on the NW side seem to go the long way round to Sthn Cross. Often time i get off at Nth Melb and walk. its not bad, but a hot or rainy day makes that annoying
plus its a rubbish stadium :p

Also, i love the G on a super cold day/night. That's footy for me. And why thermos' were invented....tinny tasting tea is the best :D

i have a few city spots i park at for the G as i prefer a small walk post-game after sitting for so long. And it allows time for the traffic to clear

Trains on the NW side seem to go the long way round to Sthn Cross. Often time i get off at Nth Melb and walk. its not bad, but a hot or rainy day makes that annoying plus its a rubbish stadium :p
Makes sense. I need to locate more MCG friendly parking I think.
Also, i love the G on a super cold day/night. That's footy for me. And why thermos' were invented....tinny tasting tea is the best :D
Haha I'm remembering that game against Carlton where we wheeled out 32 premiership cups and had Hirdy in the smoke and all that s**t. It was so ******* cold I couldn't feel anything, there was an arctic breeze flowing through the empty stadium, and the food I bought from the vendors there was cold before I got back to my seat. I had more coats and jackets on than Adrian *ing Dodoro, but after that night I went and bought an electric heated jacket (my family all has them, I was the last holdout coz I thought it was a bit stupid/not very eco-friendly when you can get puffer jackets and stuff. Well all that went in the bin after that night).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back