Preview Round 17 - Essendon Bombers vs Adelaide Crows - Sunday, July 9th - 3:20 pm - Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What bothers me is less about playing “flat out” or Out of control which I agree is bad. It’s just he often seems to take the team out of flow. Which is also bad.

Better ball users in the same positions find a way to draw players into space via kicks to advantage or move quickly to kick down the line to a 1 on 1 down the wing vs waiting for a set wing marking pack.

I also think waiting for a pack marking situation frustrates me more because Essendon’s Talls aren’t good in that situation. If I felt that had a reliable chance at being a successful outcome I would likely feel better about Kelly’s usage.
I don't know. Prefer that to a hack kick out of d50. Martin doesn't do that last week and we win. Parish and McGrath are serial offenders. You gotta know when to hold em. Kelly is better than most.

I never said you said that. That’s my own observation re pack marking.

Kelly’s usage is fine for a back pocket, the issue is McGraths usage is Sean Tait like so he can’t be played at HB and has to play Back Pocket.

So now in my oppinion you have 2 back pockets playing together and your a HB short
I think we are a half back short and I think as well as Heppell is playing he is slowing things down more at half back than Kelly does in the back pocket. I have no issues personally having McGrath and Kelly playing back pocket as Kelly can play on the medium forwards as well. I do not see an issue with that plus you can always use Kelly as the rotation guy with McGrath and Redman if need be. You do not need 100% attacking players running out of defense all game. I also think McGrath uses the ball better when he gets up the ground anyway. His main issue is the panicky kicks from well in defense IMO. You also have to recognize that our game plan is actually precise kicking out of defense to hopefully set up forward handball chain though the middle. As long as they are taking the kicks when the leads are on the pace of the game stays upbeat. What we do not want is flat out attack out of the back half to a forward half that is not set. The speed should be coming into the game from half back and 60 meters from goal .
Just out of interest are you seeing the games on TV or a bit live ? (not being smart just interested in how you are seeing it ) One thing I have picked up live is that Kelly will take the kick quickly if the option presents but I would say 80% of the time when he does not go straight away he either has contests up the line or players out of position to make a contest up the line and no short forward kicks or sideways dump kicks.

Last edited:
I think we are a half back short and I think as well as Heppell is playing he is slowing things down more at half back than Kelly does in the back pocket. I have no issues personally having McGrath and Kelly playing back pocket as Kelly can play on the medium forwards as well. I do not see an issue with that plus you can always use Kelly as the rotation guy with McGrath and Redman if need be. You do not need 100% attacking players running out of defense all game. I also think McGrath uses the ball better when he gets up the ground anyway. His main issue is the panicky kicks from well in defense IMO. You also have to recognize that our game plan is actually precise kicking out of defense to hopefully set up forward handball chain though the middle. As long as they are taking the kicks when the leads are on the pace of the game stays upbeat. What we do not want is flat out attack out of the back half to a forward half that is not set. The speed should be coming into the game from half back and 60 meters from goal .
Just out of interest are you seeing the games on TV or a bit live ? (not being smart just interested in how you are seeing it ) One thing I have picked up live is that Kelly will take the kick quickly if the option presents but I would say 80% of the time when he does not go straight away he either has contests up the line or players out of position to make a contest up the line and no short forward kicks or sideways dump kicks.
Would love TV coverage to show more of panned out shots like you see live. Too many close up shots that don't give good perspective for Footy.

What bothers me is less about playing “flat out” or Out of control which I agree is bad. It’s just he often seems to take the team out of flow. Which is also bad.

Better ball users in the same positions find a way to draw players into space via kicks to advantage or move quickly to kick down the line to a 1 on 1 down the wing vs waiting for a set wing marking pack.

I also think waiting for a pack marking situation frustrates me more because Essendon’s Talls aren’t good in that situation. If I felt that had a reliable chance at being a successful outcome I would likely feel better about Kelly’s usage.
Sure, Mass has a much better kick but often gives up 2 easy goals a game. For me, he's much better as a half forward. Hindy isn't much different. I'd rather a defender who defends as opposed to a defender who attacks and needs to set up 3 goals as they give up 2.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most important game for a while. Win an we are 5th. lose and we could miss the finals.

Crows forward line is a worry. Kelly & McGrath need good lockdown games but where will we get run at the ball from defence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Public ticket sales are sold out. If you can normally scan in for a GA seat then it should work like it usually does
Thank God. For a while I thought I had come down from Queensland for nothing.

Open sez a me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back