Preview Round 17 - Essendon Bombers vs Adelaide Crows - Sunday, July 9th - 3:20 pm - Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 17 sees Essendon once again host a team from SA; this time in the form of the Crowbots. I have a little trouble getting too excited for this match. I just don't have any real emotion for the Crows either for or against them; naturally, a lot of that is because I don't live in SA. It's long been suggested that SA footy fans are completely nuts and irrational, and that smart fans visiting from out of state would put a crow scarf on the back panel of their car to avoid their car getting keyed.

I think it's also natural that we feel down after the last two games; both of which we had moments of good football, but didn't play great games; which is silly given we are still in the eight and have some winnable games upcoming; including this one. And yet I think we all have the same question; how are we going to stop their forward line and how do we stop Jordon Dawson from having a field day? On the plus side, I have zero concerns about Rankine; as I'm sure McGrath will cover him well.

In spite of that our recent record against the Crows has been good, and if I'm not mistaken the Crows haven't exactly travelled all that well this season. Hopefully, the home-ground advantage will prove the difference.

The Round That Was

sad wreck it ralph GIF

Well, that was a real heartbreaker. No team ever likes to be beaten after the siren, and that makes the total losing margin versus Port this year 9 points. I think what hurts the most is seeing one of our best players in Parish, just completely let us down with his finishing. 0.4 including missing the sealer... true champion players kick that goal; I'm not going to bash Parish, as I think he is a damn good player, but in a 5 point loss, that last miss in particular, stings.... (As does Shiel replacing Menzies, and contributing a fumble that led to a Port Goal, and 2 disposals.)

ESSENDON 2.2 4.8 7.12 10.14 (74)
PORT ADELAIDE 2.7 5.8 6.9 11.12 (78)

GOALS
Essendon:
Langford 3, Guelfi 2, Caldwell 2, Laverde, Martin, Stringer
Port Adelaide: Rozee 3, Dixon, Farrell, Narkle, Butters, Finlayson, Burton, Byrne-Jones, Houston

BEST
Essendon:
Parish, Caldwell, Ridley, Phillips, Merrett, Heppell
Port Adelaide: Houston, Butters, Rozee, Farrell, Williams, Aliir

INJURIES
Essendon:
Nil
Port Adelaide: Nil

LATE CHANGES
Essendon:
Nil
Port Adelaide: Josh Sinn replaced in selected side by Quinton Narkle, Scott Lycett (knee) replaced in selected side by Dante Visentini

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon:
Dylan Shiel (replaced Jye Menzie at three-quarter time)
Port Adelaide: Jase Burgoyne (replaced Dante Visentini at three-quarter time)

Crowd: 38,957 at MCG

Meanwhile, the Crows destroyed North to the tune of 66 points. Dawson was his usual prolific self, and Reilly O'brien just about sent Golstein into retirement with 52 hit outs to go with his 2 goals and 15 disposals. Rankine, Forgarty and Walker kicked 12 between.

ADELAIDE 7.2 12.5 17.8 21.12 (138)
NORTH MELBOURNE 4.1 8.3 9.3 11.6 (72)

GOALS
Adelaide:
Rankine 5, Fogarty 4, Walker 3, Keays 2, O’Brien 2, Pedlar 2, Thilthorpe 2, Murphy
North Melbourne: Larkey 3, Stephenson 2, Thomas 2, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke, Scott, Zurhaar

BEST
Adelaide:
O'Brien, Keays, Dawson, Rankine, Hinge, Sloane
North Melbourne: Sheezel, Larkey, Thomas, Scott, Ziebell

The Last Time We Met

It's funny how in hindsight, some things become so much clearer. I never really felt Rutten was going ot be the coach to get us out of this rut; (pun intended) and it was an omen that our first win last year was our 4-point win over Adelaide in Round 4. Why was this an omen game? Because our coach that evening was not Ben Rutten and rather Blake Carracella. The end of last year was horrible; Rutten was treated poorly; but I'm glad every week I do these last time we met reviews, that he is gone.

ESSENDON 5.3 9.6 12.11 15.13 (103)
ADELAIDE 4.2 8.4 12.6 15.9 (99)

GOALS
Essendon:
Wright 3, Perkins 2, Waterman 2, Caldwell, Draper, Durham, Guelfi, Martin, Phillips, Redman, Smith
Adelaide: Walker 4, Rachele 3, Himmelberg 2, Rowe 2, Gollant, Keays, McHenry, Sholl

BEST
Essendon:
Parish, Wright, McGrath, Hind, Caldwell, Shiel
Adelaide: Keays, Crouch, Walker, Laird, Himmelberg, Rachele

INJURIES
Essendon:
Snelling (calf)
Adelaide: Hinge (hip pointer)

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon:
Devon Smith (replaced Will Snelling)
Adelaide: Brayden Cook (replaced Mitchell Hinge)

Crowd: 24,906 at Marvel Stadium

The Selection Table

Potential Outs

Snelling (I think we need more pace, and I'm keeping Gueilfi over Snelling)
Menzies (Hope not!)
Shiel (Won't happen, but he was useless. Make him earn that spot back)
Durham ( I know people hate when I suggest this, but his just isn't impacted games like we need)
Perkins (Should be better; didn't rate his game nor his efforts.)
Weideman (Would rather play Bryan and Philips and go with a more mobile forwardline)

A rare VFL win means a lot of potential selections.

Possible Ins
Bryan (Bad pun time - He must make good hamburgers because he is In and Out - Would love to see him get a few games in a row, give him a chance to bring his VFL form to the AFL)
Voss (Back in form)
Davey (Great game in the VFL - Must come back in; we need pace)
Walla (Another who was good in the VFL and would be useful to our team at the moment)

I know a lot of people will be calling for Tsatas, but I think a bit like Hobbs, he should spend time owning the VFL first, and well and truly building his fitness. Wouldn't be unhappy is he was an in though.

My Tip

I think we'll be ok. Dons by 20. Redman to put on a show for his soon-to-be rejected suitors.

Last edited:
Not sure how we contain Tex, Fogarty and Thilthorpe. I think Baldwin should come into defence to help cover that. Not sure for whom though.

In: Baldwin, Bryan (please), Wanganeen (pending VFL)
Out: Kelly, Weideman, Shiel

Shiel needs miles in the legs in the VFL. Kelly unlucky but think we need Baldwin for Fogarty. Weideman desperately needs form.

Zerk on Thilthorpe
Laverde on Tex
Baldwin on Fogarty
McGrath on Rankine

In: Baldwin, Bryan (please), Wanganeen (pending VFL)
Out: Kelly, Weideman, Shiel

Shiel needs miles in the legs in the VFL. Kelly unlucky but think we need Baldwin for Fogarty. Weideman desperately needs form.

Zerk on Thilthorpe
Laverde on Tex
Baldwin on Fogarty
McGrath on Rankine

Zero chance we take three older players out for 3 younger ones. Scott clearly doesn’t rate the younger guys

Judging by Scotts comments in his presser I think there is zero chance Weid goes out.

Thats a shame - he needs to be dropped...my initial thoughts are pretty much the same sort of thoughts as last week;-

OUT: Weideman, Kelly & Menzie
IN: Voss, Baldwin & Hind

Laverde Zerk Baldwin
Redman Ridley McGrath
Martin Hobbs Heppell
Perkins Voss Caldwell
Stringer Langford Snelling

Phillips Parish Merrett

Bench: Durham Hind Guelfi 2MP
SUB: Shiel

Going by list balance over the course of the year this team has played best with 3 talls out of some combination of (Wright, Draper, Flip, Weed, Jones)

Flip has been good this year so I’d expect it to be Flip/Draper/Wright as the 3 talls. Weed has tried hard but hasn’t done enough to cement his spot.

Kelly can also go. McGrath has been moved into his Back Pocket spot and a better ball user should be at HB although that spot is up for grabs

If Sheil has to play he can go to Hepps wing and Hep can move back to HB as that’s where he’s been at his best this season.

Best 22 vs Adelaide

Lav, Zerk, Mcgrath
Hep, Ridley, Redman (D7 up for grabs)

Wings Martin, Durham, Sheil
Mids Merrett, Parish, Hobbs, Stringer, Caldwell

Talls: Flip, Weed, Wright

Forwards: Langford, Perkins, Menzie, Guelfi, Snelling

Sub: AMT

Soon to be best 22 replacements
Draper in Weed out
Setters in Snelling out (Caldwell more HF)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets see how the VFL side go.

Durham & Guelfi not offering enough, Menzie fumbled at crucial times.

Wish Tippa was fitter.

Their forward line is incredibly dangerous. Hard to see a weak link there. Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Walker are probably the second most dangerous tall trio (behind Port's) and then they have Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar as the smalls. Will take our best to contain them.

We need to inject pace in the forward line. None of Guelfi, Snelling and Menzie are express - all are hard doers who give it everything and halve contests, but once the ball exits a stoppage they don’t have the speed to apply real pressure on the outside.

Stick to the plan with Walla but geez he’ll be handy if/when he’s ready for AFL. Maybe give Alwyn another look. Maybe ask Hind to play a dedicated pressure forward role. Snelling out - which is unlucky, he was good against the Power.

Weid out - happy enough for any of Bryan, Cox or Voss to take his spot. Have to sort out the forward line - small forward to up the pressure (as per above) and a second tall who teams cannot just leave to double 2MP are the priorities.

If we need another tall defender, as some are suggesting, then give Heppell a spell and play Baldwin. Not convinced that Ridley, Lav and BZT isn’t enough for Tex, Fogarty and Thilthorpe however. - don’t mind those match ups.

Out: Perkins, Snelling
In: Baldwin, Shiel

Ridley - Baldwin - McGrath
Redman - Zerk - Lav
Durham - Parish - Martin
Langford - Weid - Caldwell
Menzie - Wright - Stringer
Flip - Merrett - Hobbs
Heppell - Kelly - Shiel - Guelfi
Perkins

Perkins just isn't staying in games long enough. i'd give him a VFL spell but no VFL, so he can sub.
Snelling over Guelf to go out because 3 of Menzie, Snelling and Guelfi is too slow for this game, and Snelling had the lesser impact this week. Could go either way on these two.

need the height back.
No one else to take Weid's spot.
Shiel is in if he's fit. if not, Tsatas debut please.

How did this team (Crows) get this good so quickly? They were the laughing stock just a couple of years ago. No hope.

Supporters wanted everyone at the club sacked including Roo out the door.

How did this team (Crows) get this good so quickly? They were the laughing stock just a couple of years ago. No hope.

They had Tex drafted Rachelle got Iranke and Tillthopre and wow wee (don’t forget foggerty)

good list strategy combined with a fairly audacious game plan that makes the most of their good kicking.

Not sure how we contain Tex, Fogarty and Thilthorpe. I think Baldwin should come into defence to help cover that. Not sure for whom though.

People were saying the same thing about Port’s big 3 and they only kicked 2 between them. It’ll be more about what happens up the field rather than which individual defenders are on those players

People were saying the same thing about Port’s big 3 and they only kicked 2 between them. It’ll be more about what happens up the field rather than which individual defenders are on those players
Conditions played a big part in that. This week we're under the roof if it's wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back