Preview Round 17 - Essendon Bombers vs Adelaide Crows - Sunday, July 9th - 3:20 pm - Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every game day thread I see people asking/demanding that Kelly gets dropped - why? And, has he been dropped once since arriving?

I think he stifles our ability to attack quickly off the backline.

His offensive shortcomings are then made even worse when we also carry Zerk and Laverde who also don't move the ball fast enough.

His offensive shortcomings are then made even worse when we also carry Zerk and Laverde who also don't move the ball fast enough.
I noticed him up the ground a bit further last week, on at least two occasions, as we were transitioning forward - wonder if this was by design, or he just found himself there?

I noticed him up the ground a bit further last week, on at least two occasions, as we were transitioning forward - wonder if this was by design, or he just found himself there?

He's regularly done this when we're not getting belted, works really hard to provide an option.

What I want.

Out: Weideman, Snelling, Kelly

In: Cox, Tsatas, Hind

Sub: Guelfi
That's pretty drastic coming off a game where we led at the final siren against a top 2 team. Watched irl and not planning on watching the replay, but I thought Kelly was good and Snelling had some moments. Weids... I mean yeah, but it was an improvement on recent form. I doubt he gets dropped tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsatas seems more likely than Cox to play this year. Though I think they both probably will. Seems they still don't know Cox's role and he isn't banging the door down.
Others have noted Tsatas can't run out a full game yet so would probably need to be sub/subbed and play in fwd half.

I love me some Cox but I don't think Tsatas or Cox should be playing this year unless we lose some serious cattle.
Tsatas needs to turn the ball over much less before I'm comfortable with him in the 1s. He'd kill us at AFL level. I'm hoping he's just playing himself into form in that respect, having been injured, because he finds space so quickly when he runs.

His slowness in decision making when he has the ball is exactly why Adelaide fans were a little down on him. Great defender. Not so great in attack.

Agreed, we never break lines through the backline when he plays. Always stops and props when he takes a mark, allowing opp defenders time to man up.

Great 1 on 1 defender but we need Hind or Mass to break the lines.

Agreed, we never break lines through the backline when he plays. Always stops and props when he takes a mark, allowing opp defenders time to man up.

Great 1 on 1 defender but we need Hind or Mass to break the lines.
The issue is Heppell. Kelly is playing a defensive role. Heppell is playing a pseudo-attacking role without being damaging. Even his good games (which have been about half of them at best) aren't giving us much offensively.

The issue is Heppell. Kelly is playing a defensive role. Heppell is playing a pseudo-attacking role without being damaging. Even his good games (which have been about half of them at best) aren't giving us much offensively.

It is not an either or.

Heppells being there is also an issue.

You can't carry four poor/slow users in your backhalf any more. Two you can get away with. If you have three then one of them has to be an AA level one on one defender.

We need to replace two of Zerk, Laverde, Heppell and Kelly but at the moment don't have the cattle.

I do agree that Heppell would be the first I drop from those four.

Tsatas seems more likely than Cox to play this year. Though I think they both probably will. Seems they still don't know Cox's role and he isn't banging the door down.
Others have noted Tsatas can't run out a full game yet so would probably need to be sub/subbed and play in fwd half.
Doubt it; Cox has senior runs on the board and so is more 'ready'.

Doubt it; Cox has senior runs on the board and so is more 'ready'.
I'm not certain they'd see it like that since Truck's philosophy on fast tracking our 2020 draft hand through games played probably had a negative effect on Cox's confidence, playing tired and underdone.
I just see it as a lot more likely that Tsatas gets a run at half forward after banging the door down in the VFL than Cox on the wing or at CHB or wherever it is they decide he plays.
But again, I also think it's more likely than not that they both play in the seniors this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back