Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs Hawthorn round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time you played against him tho? I’m sceptical too as I don’t think his form last year deserved an AFL contract but it was still a bloody good season for a bloke that went from ammos to WAFL.
4 season ago would've been the last time. I was surprised he got a gig at WAFL level, let alone AFL level. I'm not a coach and I haven't seen how he's developed and he would absolutely piss over any of us, but it's just my view. I would've thought Treacy got a run before Reid.

116848221_10157602549087224_1019822904385789672_o.jpg
117314226_3873325832683075_2731489874709228206_n.png

That's one square head. All the best Nic! Pressure pressure pressure and 1 disposal a quarter is all we need at a minimum.

Lovin the cranium on this unit. I vote we name him Spongebob.

4 season ago would've been the last time. I was surprised he got a gig at WAFL level, let alone AFL level. I'm not a coach and I haven't seen how he's developed and he would absolutely piss over any of us, but it's just my view. I would've thought Treacy got a run before Reid.

Well, he’s one of ours now. So ya know...all aboard!

A good write up by Stocksy.

Nic Reid’s journey to the AFL has been the antithesis of the smooth ride from the TAC Cup or WAFL colts to elite football.

No luxury vehicle or sealed highway on his path to the top.

He started on that manicured route, missed a couple of turns, found himself in a beat-up four wheel drive in the middle of nowhere but has eventually made it to the desired destination.

He could have been excused for being disillusioned by those frustrating, unplanned detours. Abandoning his AFL dream was more logical than clinging to thinning hope.

Especially when it drifted from arms-length as a member of WA under-age squads to a barely visible image far on the dusty horizon of the gravel tracks he was navigating in early adulthood.

But on Sunday, when he fulfils his long-held AFL ambition, making his debut for the West Coast Eagles against Hawthorn, it will all seem worthwhile. The brown pebbles pounding the undercarriage on his drive to the top had kept him alert, rather than drifting completely off target.

And he will become a unique and compelling football story when, at age 24, he steps out as the 252nd player to represent the West Coast Eagles in its 34-year history.

Reid has always had talent, but he never quite fitted the neat template that the AFL industry expects of its aspiring youngsters. He wasn’t besotted with the game, had a couple of cracks with WAFL club Claremont, but in his late teens he wasn’t quite ready for that structured and routine way of life.

He preferred to play with his mates at amateur club North Beach.

He liked the freedom of just playing footy. The game came naturally to him and he mirrored it in the way he played. Instinctively.

It is possible for me to offer some insights into this young man because I was coaching the colts at North Beach when he opted out of the Claremont program. I wouldn’t say I, or Dave Barwick, with whom I shared the role, coached him as much as plonked him in the centre and asked the umpires to start the game.

He dominated, often kicked three or four goals out of the middle, and we just enjoyed the spectacle. We weren’t the only ones. A-Grade players would come to the ground early to watch him play.

That was 2012 and Reid was clearly a class above all others at that level. The senior coach at North Beach, Bill Duckworth recognised it too, and Reid’s stint in the colts was short-lived.

Duckworth, a two-time Essendon premiership player and 1984 Norm Smith medallist, injected him into the seniors and played a nurturing role with the talented youngster.

A year later, another AFL premiership star, David Hynes, a significant part of the 1994 West Coast Eagles premiership team, assumed the senior position at North Beach and he continued to mould an evolving young man who was among the most talented, if not the most talented, players in the competition.

In 2018, with former Subiaco utility player Shane Paap at the helm, Reid underlined his talent by kicking 48 goals in an injury-affected season. He was runner-up to Joel Ashman in the WA Amateur Football League A-Grade competition and was also runner-up in the North Beach award (tied with Dan Leishman) to Sam Lamont.

Reid had become a local football hero. Kids were going to Charles Riley Reserve to watch him play, wearing his No.19 on their backs. Among that throng of youngsters was Callum Jamieson, another product of the North Beach Junior Football Club, who is now on the Eagles list.

It was post that 2018 season that Reid found himself back on the path to elite football.

The West Coast Eagles had been granted a licence to play in the WAFL, allowing all of its players not selected in the AFL team to play together in the second tier competition. The alignment with East Perth had disintegrated and the Eagles wanted to go alone.

They were granted a licence and joined the competition, albeit handcuffed by severe recruiting restrictions.

It meant they needed to get creative with the list structure for their WAFL Eagles and all of Reid, Lamont and Ashman were so-called “top-up” players. Pigeon-holing them in that manner hardly did them justice, but it gave all of them an opportunity to play at the next level.

The embers of desire had again been fanned within the man they call 'Dos'. Hope that had been almost extinguished rose again. Reid probably didn’t know how much he wanted it until he began mixing with AFL talent, recognising he was not entirely out of place.

For Reid, it was a platform to show a captive audience what he could do. He impressed General Manager - Football Craig Vozzo, Eagles coach Adam Simpson and other coaching staff who were dedicated to the WAFL team.

After a 2019 campaign when he demonstrated a capacity to influence WAFL games, the Eagles were given permission for him to train over the summer. Although his appearances on the track were limited because of shoulder surgery, he put everything on the line, even taking a year’s leave of absence from teaching to give it all of his attention.

Where he was not ready for the structured life a WAFL player – let alone AFL football – in his late teens, the more mature version of Nic Reid craved it in his early 20s.

He is yet another example of a young man who would never have received this opportunity with a compressed senior list. Now he is ready to capitalise on his footy lifeline and take another quantum leap forward on his football – and life - experiences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Reid’s journey to the AFL has been the antithesis of the smooth ride from the TAC Cup or WAFL colts to elite football.

He started on that manicured route, missed a couple of turns, found himself in a beat-up four wheel drive in the middle of nowhere but has eventually made it to the desired destination.

He could have been excused for being disillusioned by those frustrating, unplanned detours. Abandoning his AFL dream was more logical than clinging to thinning hope.

Especially when it drifted from arms-length as a member of WA under-age squads to a barely visible image far on the dusty horizon of the gravel tracks he was navigating in early adulthood.

But on Sunday, when he fulfils his long-held AFL ambition, making his debut for the West Coast Eagles against Hawthorn, it will all seem worthwhile. The brown pebbles pounding the undercarriage on his drive to the top had kept him alert, rather than drifting completely off target.

And he will become a unique and compelling football story when, at age 24, he steps out as the 252nd player to represent the West Coast Eagles in its 34-year history.

Reid has always had talent, but he never quite fitted the neat template that the AFL industry expects of its aspiring youngsters. He wasn’t besotted with the game, had a couple of cracks with WAFL club Claremont, but in his late teens he wasn’t quite ready for that structured and routine way of life.

He liked the freedom of just playing footy. The game came naturally to him and he mirrored it in the way he played. Instinctively.

It is possible for me to offer some insights into this young man because I was coaching the colts at North Beach when he opted out of the Claremont program. I wouldn’t say I, or Dave Barwick, with whom I shared the role, coached him as much as plonked him in the centre and asked the umpires to start the game.

He dominated, often kicked three or four goals out of the middle, and we just enjoyed the spectacle. We weren’t the only ones. A-Grade players would come to the ground early to watch him play.

That was 2012 and Reid was clearly a class above all others at that level. The senior coach at North Beach, Bill Duckworth recognised it too, and Reid’s stint in the colts was short-lived.

Duckworth, a two-time Essendon premiership player and 1984 Norm Smith medallist, injected him into the seniors and played a nurturing role with the talented youngster.

A year later, another AFL premiership star, David Hynes, a significant part of the 1994 West Coast Eagles premiership team, assumed the senior position at North Beach and he continued to mould an evolving young man who was among the most talented, if not the most talented, players in the competition.

In 2018, with former Subiaco utility player Shane Paap at the helm, Reid underlined his talent by kicking 48 goals in an injury-affected season. He was runner-up to Joel Ashman in the WA Amateur Football League A-Grade competition and was also runner-up in the North Beach award (tied with Dan Leishman) to Sam Lamont.

Reid had become a local football hero. Kids were going to Charles Riley Reserve to watch him play, wearing his No.19 on their backs. Among that throng of youngsters was Callum Jamieson, another product of the North Beach Junior Football Club, who is now on the Eagles list.

It was post that 2018 season that Reid found himself back on the path to elite football.

The West Coast Eagles had been granted a licence to play in the WAFL, allowing all of its players not selected in the AFL team to play together in the second tier competition. The alignment with East Perth had disintegrated and the Eagles wanted to go alone.

They were granted a licence and joined the competition, albeit handcuffed by severe recruiting restrictions.

It meant they needed to get creative with the list structure for their WAFL Eagles and all of Reid, Lamont and Ashman were so-called “top-up” players. Pigeon-holing them in that manner hardly did them justice, but it gave all of them an opportunity to play at the next level.

The embers of desire had again been fanned within the man they call 'Dos'. Hope that had been almost extinguished rose again. Reid probably didn’t know how much he wanted it until he began mixing with AFL talent, recognising he was not entirely out of place.

For Reid, it was a platform to show a captive audience what he could do. He impressed General Manager - Football Craig Vozzo, Eagles coach Adam Simpson and other coaching staff who were dedicated to the WAFL team.

After a 2019 campaign when he demonstrated a capacity to influence WAFL games, the Eagles were given permission for him to train over the summer. Although his appearances on the track were limited because of shoulder surgery, he put everything on the line, even taking a year’s leave of absence from teaching to give it all of his attention.

Where he was not ready for the structured life a WAFL player – let alone AFL football – in his late teens, the more mature version of Nic Reid craved it in his early 20s.

He is yet another example of a young man who would never have received this opportunity with a compressed senior list. Now he is ready to capitalise on his footy lifeline and take another quantum leap forward on his football – and life - experiences.
Love that we are debuting a 24 year old even if it means passing over a couple of younger players who could get priority because development. Tells me we are going best available. As we should.

Last edited:
Love that we are debuting a 24 year old even if it means passing over a couple of younger players who could get priority because development. Tells me we are going best available. As we should.

Still trying to fill that Willie sized hole.

Let’s hope Nic Reid can pull a Steven Armstrong - played his first game for us in Round 13 of 2006....and you ***** know what happened next....

Yep, keep hearing on footy radio shows etc that it's almost inevitable to be held in Qld if not at MCG-which they will hold out for until the 11th hour. Also hearing talk that given the recent breakouts in other states and NZ, it's only a matter of time before another breakout in W.A, some even saying it could be a serious one??
Not sure why they would say that, maybe attributing it to us having footy crowds back at the stadium?
Seems very fatalistic to say that about W.A, but the NZ is a concern, out of nowhere, with no clusters or community spread, then Bam! 4 cases from one family in one house, but where/how did they contract it?
Anyway can't see GF happening in Perth realistically...and maybe that's a good thing?
Unless there's a breakout in Qld and wouldn't wish that on anyone...but given the nature of 2020,
anything can happen or be changed at the last moment?

Reid playing!? Great to watch another newbie have a go, see what he's got?
An outbreak in Perth isn't inevitable but it is going to be a risk until we get a vaccine. We're fortunate again, that we have the benefit of seeing how other jurisdictions have handled it and could implement the mist effective strategy.

SA is a good scenario to watch. They had two cases of community transmission from someone from Victoria and rolled back to smaller footy crowds and sit down meals/drinks only. So far so good.

QLD also seems to be holding up after those 2 bitches spread it after sneaking in from Victoria.

The great thing about Reid is that he's pretty much had a year in our system already. Should be plug and play for the role we have in mind, I hope. Might have scope for further development considering he was a latecomer to professional footy.

Having a dedicated reserves side and being able to sign top-up players as potential mature-age prospects is a real asset.

Last edited:

Fantastic read. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back