Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs Hawthorn round 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
They'd probably be happy with either tbh. But Brisbane would be the better result for the comp I reckon.

At least Brissie are going to be top of the ladder and "earn" the monster homeground advantage.

Its better than it just being locked away at the G by default anyway.

Either they would be happy with, I feel they would lean towards GWS though. Especially if played at the GABBA.

The Lions win the papers will be writing about the 'gift wrapped premiership' the AFL handed to them.

Eastwestcoast

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
But it defies logic when you think about the WA teams having too relocate to QLD.

WA is the only state allowing 50% attendances in at games and we are pulling the biggest crowds.

No one is going to the matches in QLD and it is not an AFL state.

Surely, commonsense should prevail and the WA teams should remain here.

But that's right, it is just the VFL being corrupt as usual taking backhanders from the QLD Government with no intention of making the competition fair, even or interesting.

There are crowds at QLD games, just restricted more than Perth. Maybe 4000 or so. I think AFL are keen to push\showcase AFL in QLD and in terms of growing the "product" (especially when AFL income is down) this year is a perfect time to have that exposure up there.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
There are crowds at QLD games, just restricted more than Perth. Maybe 4000 or so. I think AFL are keen to push\showcase AFL in QLD and in terms of growing the "product" (especially when AFL income is down) this year is a perfect time to have that exposure up there.

And you are comparing crowds of 4,000 with 20,000 and 27,000 saying it is acceptable?

Do you really think a non-football state is going to attract a sell-out crowd if Brisbane don’t make the grand final?

(Don’t be surprised if a lot of controversial free kicks go Brisbane’s way in the finals series if it is held in QLD).

How is holding the grand final at the Gabba, which has rundown facilities and can barely hold 40,000 people in the best interests of the game?

By playing the grand final in Perth - at one of the world’s best stadiums - not only will you attract a crowd of 60,000 people but you will increase TV viewing and advertising dollars because the telecast into the eastern states will go into the evening and be shown later into Europe.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Get used to the conditions - train with the dew etc
1597214556934.jpeg

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
There are four types of fixture this year.
1. Games played at home with an interstate team travelling to play us - true home games
2. Games where we travel to play a team in their home state - true away games
3. Games where we travel interstate but so does our opponent - away neutral games
4. Games where we don't travel, but neither does our opponent - for us, this is only the derby.
To be fair, I think 1 and 2 should balance.

So far this year we've had:
4 true home games (Melbourne, Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton). With Hawthorn and GWS to come for sure, that's 6.
2 true away games (Gold Coast, Brisbane)
3 away neutral games (Port, Sydney, Adelaide)
1 home neutral game (Fremantle)

The 5 remaining unscheduled games are all against Victorian clubs. Even if we play them all in a hub as away neutral games, we've definitely had a draw that's at least +4 in "venue to advantage". Sure, Brisbane and GC have had an even better deal, but I don't think we can complain about the draw.

Do you still need someone to write the preview for the Hawks match Biggie, HoneyBadger35? If so I can whip up something bereft of useful information that could be considered mildly amusing by a certain section of the populace. Me.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
I'd consider myself an above average user of El Englisho.
10 000 word essay. Easy.
Lab report for psychology.. medium.

However, I don't know enough about our team to write up even a mildly amusing preview, let alone opposition floggos and doggos.
Preview - impossible.

I can imagine quite a few on here probably feel the same.

What happened for the ignorant among us? I was only 5 years old haha.

Nah only recent news - plenty of accusations this month that Hawks were blatantly cheating the salary cap which to me means Eagles Premiers 1991.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Nah only recent news - plenty of accusations this month that Hawks were blatantly cheating the salary cap which to me means Eagles Premiers 1991.

Is there any possibility that they would retroactively disqualify their flag and give it to us?
I can't see the VFL doing that unless they have it in their constitution or something. Surely there's no precedent in the history of the game.

Is there any possibility that they would retroactively disqualify their flag and give it to us?
I can't see the VFL doing that unless they have it in their constitution or something. Surely there's no precedent in the history of the game.

Nah absolutely no chance. Accusations like that are rife from that era, won’t ever be touched in an official capacity.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Nah absolutely no chance. Accusations like that are rife from that era, won’t ever be touched in an official capacity.

Can imagine it's like baseball in the 70/80's and other pro sports from that time (early 90's included) whereby coke, hookers and corruption was par for the course (though I can imagine it was lesser prevalent in AFL due to a lack of ginormous amounts of money being involved).

At most (and this won’t happen) they would just take the premiership off Hawthorn and not award it to anyone, like the NRL did with the Storm’s premierships.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
At most (and this won’t happen) they would just take the premiership off Hawthorn and not award it to anyone, like the NRL did with the Storm’s premierships.

Just had a look, didn't see that they did that. Interesting.

I guess it's something that doesn't happen regularly in Australian sport (especially nowadays). I guess harsh penalties and the fact they can bury your club serve as dire warnings for the most part. I can only imagine being a player and having your cup taken away, f-king brutal.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Can imagine it's like baseball in the 70/80's and other pro sports from that time (early 90's included) whereby coke, hookers and corruption was par for the course (though I can imagine it was lesser prevalent in AFL due to a lack of ginormous amounts of money being involved).
Funnily enough the accusations are that there was plenty of money flowing to Hawks recruits 'off the books'

Also, to be fair to Don Scott he did say that every club was doing it. If it was widespread then I would not at all be surprised if the Eagles were onboard with it - as our financial issues have always been more around hitting the max of the salary cap rather than tin rattling to work out how to pay our players!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
And you are comparing crowds of 4,000 with 20,000 and 27,000 saying it is acceptable?

Do you really think a non-football state is going to attract a sell-out crowd if Brisbane don’t make the grand final?

(Don’t be surprised if a lot of controversial free kicks go Brisbane’s way in the finals series if it is held in QLD).

How is holding the grand final at the Gabba, which has rundown facilities and can barely hold 40,000 people in the best interests of the game?

By playing the grand final in Perth - at one of the world’s best stadiums - not only will you attract a crowd of 60,000 people but you will increase TV viewing and advertising dollars because the telecast into the eastern states will go into the evening and be shown later into Europe.
The viccos just never ever ever get to use crowd / money as an argument again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back