Prediction Changes and Pre Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs R15 @Optus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Coach said 5 to 7 changes.
Really simple. [BREAKING IT DOWN]

Start with DEFENCE.

GOV for H Edwards - [Simple]
SHEP for Nelson. - [Simple]
As Duggan is moved back to defence plays Cole role after a half of last season and this season thus far out of position.
WITHO for Cole -[Simple]

SHUEY for Waterman (Who is caught in no man's land) [Simple]
PETRUCCELLE for LANGDON [Simple]
KELLY for JJ [Simple]
JJ plays Sub (Very handy Type)

Now lets talk bench make up.
Keyword is [SACRIFICE]
Im loving Foley & L.Edwards. Also with Rotham who i have on my bench. He is good cover for a tall defender as he can play tall or short.
I would love to get Connor West in too.
Having this situation now that has presented itself i'm all for playing 2 or 3 pinch hitters in the ruck as i think it has to be done to get [RIOLI] in late in season. Taking out Brander & Waterman to get midfield types in as Rioli even being a small fwd is placed in at a midfield/fwds dispense.

So my bench contains 2 Inside Mids
Sheed & L Edwards.
And 2 Defenders
Foley with Rotham(Tall or Small)

SHEP Barrass WITHERDEN
Hurn GOV Duggan
Gaff Yeo Redden
Ryan Darling Cripps
PET Kennedy Allen

Naitanui SHUEY KELLY

Sheed, L Edwards, Foley, Rotham.

Sub - JJ

So out of this 22 i have named.
Who comes out for [RIOLI]?
ROTHAM(Defender) or PETCH (Fwd)
Rotham for mine.
Batting deep in Defence.

From this 22
I see only HURN retiring.
Kennedy for mine plays 1 more year.

Rotham becomes Hurn or Witho [WHICHEVER]
Bring a mid in- Connor West in or Williams as the 2nd Ruck.

Guys like Cole, Nelson, Waterman, Ahchee & Langdon who play when we have injuries to Mids maybe on the Outer.

BRANDER should spend off season in the Gym and Season 2022 at Full Fwd or CHF for the 2s to get ready to replace JK in 2023.
Or he gets his chance through injury to JK, JD or Oscar.
There is no place for him in defence with Barrass, Gov or H Edwards & a raft of Half back types.
Duggo, Witho, Rotham, Shep, Foley etc.

JJ is good depth- He becomes our AhChee.
1st cab off the rank.

Cameron has all the talent in the world
Xavier Oneill (Ball magnet in WAFL)
Can see West, L Edwards and to an extent Rioli keeping him out.

Anyway great place to find ourselves in now.

THE EAGLES R COMIN 💛💙🦅

Last edited:
LEdwards has to stay.

Getting good development into a young mid is a season saver in a way - assuming we don’t win the flag, if we can look back and say that was the real start of Petch, Brander, Ledwards, Hedwards, Williams etc, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to stomach.

In: Shuey, Kelly, Shep
Out: Langdon, Waterman, Cole/Nelson

This.

Gaff and Redden dropped 😂. Redden was our best mid last night. Gaff has had some ordinary games to go with his good games this season but lets not forget he’s a make shift inside mid at times this year. Last night was pretty meh from him but there was some nice clearance inside work from him where he just read Nic Nats tap to perfection. He would be one of the main beneficiaries of a full strength midfield.

Changes (if fit) - Shuey for Redden or Gaff, McGovern for Waterman. Can McGovern play as 2nd ruck? Petrecelli for Langdon

Can't see Kelly being ready. If he is both Gaff and Redden out.
Neither Redden nor Gaff will be out. Huge credits in the bank. Both, especially Redden, were very important in last night’s win.

Last edited:
What other mid would you take out? They are similar players Shuey and Redden in that they both play inside/outside mid but Shuey is the better player
We played with an extra defender as I still count Duggan as a defender. Our normal 7 jumped to 8 defenders - Hurn, Barrass, HEdwards, Rotham, Duggan, Cole, Nelson and Foley. If you bring back Sheppard, then team balance says 2 defenders to go.

Hurn barrass sheppard

Duggan H Edwards Foley

Sheed Redden L Edwards

Ryan Darling Cripps

Allen Kennedy JJones

NicNat Yeo Kelly

Shuey Waterman Witherdon Gaff

I have a feeling only 1 of Kelly/Shuey will play and with Shuey playing this weekend in the WAFL i think he will be the one.
Yep dont think we will see Kelly til after Swans at the earliest. Simmo will want him up his sleeve in case Shuey breaks down again, so he'll be managed carefully.

LEdwards has to stay.

Getting good development into a young mid is a season saver in a way - assuming we don’t win the flag, if we can look back and say that was the real start of Petch, Brander, Ledwards, Hedwards, Williams etc, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to stomach.

In: Shuey, Kelly, Shep
Out: Langdon, Waterman, Cole/Nelson
That's not a balanced side to me too many mids. As much as I enjoyed watching luke Edwards play when you have captain and A grade Shuey and A grade kelly coming in alongside Gaff, sheed , redden and Yeo then no-brainer Luke has to go.It's a tough one but these guys come straight in if fit.

Otherwise, you have to pick one of Shuey/kelly as HFF which means JJ has to go and I think that's also unfair on JJ. He needs consecutive games. Petch is also coming back if fit. we have different kinds of selection headaches in a couple of weeks. who would have thought.

we have selection headaches every line apart from Ruck. HEdwards and Foley doing enough to give others trouble. Gov might get same treatment he gave EMAC years ago by edwards. LOL. There is competition for spots all over the backline if GOV shep and whitherden are fit.

Midfield has somehow become heavy traffic with shuey, kelly, Brander trying to come back. youngsters deserve another crack after last night's win hence why I can see why Luke staying in a side is a popular trend.

Forward is and will be a headache as well once petch is fit and Rioli is allowed to play. You have JK, JD, and Oscar plus Crippa and Ryan as locks. competition for 2 spot . JJ, Rioli, Waterman, Shuey/kelly.

Simmo is gonna enjoy few days break before making big decisions. This is starting to look like an interesting season if we hold our end and win games cuz many of the teams above are about to face each other and we are facing most of them at Home. Dogs, Melbourne at home. last one at the Gabba. that will be huge.

If they're ready, I'd bring in Kelly and Shuey to rotate through midfield and HFF. That means Langdon and Waterman out.

If they're playing managed minutes, I'd only bring in one.

In: Sheppard McGovern Shuey (or West)
Out: Nelson Waterman Langdon
H Edwards is mobile enough to play as an extra tall defender, or to allow Gov to focus on his natural intercepting game. Foley & Duggan can play further up the ground.
Kelly & Witherden still listed as 2-3 weeks, probably can be conservative with them. Witherden in particular might need to win his place back in the WAFL.
Shuey confirmed to play vs Subiaco next week despite also listed as 2-3 weeks.
If he's able to play a full game, he comes in immediately.
If he plays managed minutes, I would like to see if he can get through a full WAFL game the week after before bringing him vs the Swans.
I think whether he can last an entire game is the real test of whether he's fully fit or not.
He is simply too valuable to risk, and an extra week won't hurt imo.
Brander and Petruccelle to win their place place back through the WAFL.
It's been years since we've had real competition for spots, so some players will have to miss out unfortunately.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they're ready, I'd bring in Kelly and Shuey to rotate through midfield and HFF. That means Langdon and Waterman out.

If they're playing managed minutes, I'd only bring in one.

This.

Before the season i had hopped they would play Shuey and Kelly more through the HFF to give us some flexibility. Kelly and & Shuey spent their early years there and would kick 20+ goals which is a handy output.

SAY we finally go full strength ( Most probably not lol) leading into finals this is the team i would pick:

Hurn Barrass Shep
Duggan Gov Cole

Gaff Sheed Ledwards

Shuey Darling Rioli
Ryan JK Cripps

Ruck: Nic Nat Kelly Yeo

Bench: Redden, Allen, Witherden, Petch

Sub: Jones/Waterman

Allen - would be the backup ruck
Willie - Big call but if he get back up and running then he is in over Jones or Langdon.
Shuey/Kelly - To rotate that HHF role.
Witho - Could be dangerous come finals with his kicking. We could go more defensive with Foley, Rotham and Nelson a chance. Or go taller with Edwards depending who we play.

Petch for Langdon
Shuey for Waterman
Shep for Nelson

Gov for Harry Edwards as good as he’s been - you can’t carry all three of Gov, TB and Hedwards plus Hurn, not particularly a mobile group.

Kelly one is tough but no way are we dropping a mid when we’ve been desperate for anything resembling a midfield rotation all season. Kelly for JJ perhaps?

Under Simmo we’ve played 7-8-7 consistently, eg seven forwards, eight mids/rucks and seven backs. So the above leaves us with:

Forwards: JK, JD, Allen, Ryan, Cripps, Petch (6)
Mids: Nic, Yeo, Gaff, Redden, Shuey, Kelly, LEdwards, Sheed (8)
Backs: Gov, TB, Hurn, Duggan, Shep, Cole, Foley, Rotham (8)

Slightly out of whack with 787, but it beats the hell out of the current six man midfield and a bunch of part timers desperately stealing midfield minutes like Waterman/Duggan/Cripps.
I'm not sold on keeping all of Duggan, Cole, Foley and Rotham. Dropping one of them for Jones (or especially Rioli) would balance and improve the side. And I'd contemplate dropping another for Witherden when he's fit, and another for Harry Edwards if needed to match up on a tall opposition forward line. None of those 4 defenders should be guaranteed a spot if we have a full squad to choose from.

I can imagine our 7 defenders being:
McGovern, Barrass, Hurn, Sheppard, H Edwards/Rotham, plus two of Duggan, Witherden, Cole, Foley and Nelson.

All 11 of these players have shown something at times this year. Some tough calls loom, but that's a good thing.

No issue with cycling the guys through instead of rushing them all back at once. Shuey will be ready to go. We've been holding him back, same as Yeo. TK might miss it by a week, but he takes time to acclimatize to Shuey playing alongside him anyway.

I'd back us to break even in the midfield with a hungry Shuey. He killed Port single handedly. Dogs will be coming off a tough Cats game.

Why would we drop Redden when he was near the best mid yesterday
For the sheer arrogance of it, is the only reason I can think of. Which does have its appeal...

But seriously, no. Not happening. Redden was on my watch list for a good chunk of the season but has been big lately.
It is refreshing af to finally be talking good selection dilemmas instead of depressing ones.

Ridiculous to do this before the Beagles have played. But…

In: Shuey, Gov, Sheppard, Williams/Vardy
Out: Langdon, Hedwards, Nelson (unlucky), Darling (looked to have hurt a knee)

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Rotham, Shep, Hurn, Cole, Foley
Mids: Sheed, Gaff, Redden, Duggan, Yeo, Ledwards
Rucks: NicNat, Williams/Vardy
Forwards: Kennedy, Allen, Waterman, Ryan, Cripps, Jones, Shuey
Sub: Nelson

Hedwards unlucky to come out for Gov, might have hurt a shoulder. Nelson unlucky to come out for Shep but you can’t drop Foley after that game. I’d consider dropping Rotham if it’s wet or if the Dogs look like playing a small lineup. Whoever misses out should be filthy.

Shuey to return if he gets through the WAFL, with him, Yeo and Ledwards to basically split two midfield spots between the three of them. That means dropping a forward, I’d go with Langdon but you know the match committee will go with Jones.

Darling looked sore several times during the last. If he’s fit then I guess Waterman gets squeezed out again so we can play a genuine backup ruck because I don’t want Allen in there against Martin and English.

No room for Petch or Brander. Or Witherden if he’s fit. Kelly probably needs more time.

Luke Edwards needs that midfield time. He's not getting it with shuey and Kelly back.

I don't want him played out of position but that may be the only way he stays in

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

For Mine, Let Gov come back through the WAFL. Wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before his injury and having him hungry before he come back in could be a good thing. Hedwards stays.

Shuey, TK in for Waterman and Langdon/Jones, Shep in for Nelson or Cole.

Going to be some tough calls though for next week.

Also think Williams or Vardy comes in, Don't want Allen in the ruck ever again. Was ineffective against the tiges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back