Preview Changes & Discussion - Hawks vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Tredrea is a massive win for us. I feel as though we can contain Ebert and Motlop while Daniel Stewart is very raw, Westhoff will never kick more than 3 in a game and Schultz is Schultz. They might send Chad Cornes down forward to try and stretch us as Sydney did with Playfair, White and Goodes.

Renouf has to be WAY more competitive this week against Brogan. He needs to at least break-even if our mids are a chance but having Burgoyne in the middle will be handy as he might be able to read Brogan's taps.

3 straight wins and the natives are still throwing up 120 odd posts worth of Murphy bashing etc.

I think Murphy was in our best 7-8 players on Sunday.

As soon as Franklin goes out we need dangerous forwards to fill the void. Whitecross doesn't quite cut it as a dangerous option. I dont mind the idea of rotating Schoey through the forward line.

Off topic, Good to see Birchall kick a couple of goals in recent weeks.

Guys I think we will lose this week. I really hope I am wrong but I expect Port to come out fired up after last week and they seem to have the wood on us lately. Not only that but the loss of Buddy and Brown is going to hurt alot. I hope I am wrong though.

Indeed. If we are not expecting to face the best Port possible we will get done. We need to improve on last weeks performance significantly.

My lineup against port adelaide

Well with Buddy, Browny and Hooper out my line up will be like this?

B GUERRA S GILHAM MURPHY

G. BIRCHALL B. STRATTON BATEMAN

C. YOUNG S. MITCHELL J.LEWIS

C.RIOLI J ROUGHEAD BURGOYNE

PETERSON SCHOENMAKERS BREUST

RENOUF HODGE SEWELL

INTERCHANGE: SKIPPER M.OSBORNE MUSTON SHIELS

No Tredrea is a massive win for us. I feel as though we can contain Ebert and Motlop while Daniel Stewart is very raw, Westhoff will never kick more than 3 in a game and Schultz is Schultz. They might send Chad Cornes down forward to try and stretch us as Sydney did with Playfair, White and Goodes.

Renouf has to be WAY more competitive this week against Brogan. He needs to at least break-even if our mids are a chance but having Burgoyne in the middle will be handy as he might be able to read Brogan's taps.

Over the years Tredrea, Dew, and Burgoyne have torn the Hawks apart.

Dew has come to us and left.
Burgoyne as we know is with us.
Tredrea is not playing.

We have to win :thumbsu:

HAWTHORN

B: Tom Murphy, Stephen Gilham, Brent Guerra
HB: Ben Stratton, Luke Hodge, Grant Birchall
C: Chance Bateman, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis
HF: Clinton Young, Jarryd Roughead, Cyril Rioli
F: Michael Osborne, Ryan Schoenmakers, Carl Peterson
Foll: Brent Renouf, Brad Sewell, Shaun Burgoyne
Int: Wayde Skipper, Xavier Ellis, Liam Shiels, Brendan Whitecross
Emg: Beau Muston, Jarryd Morton, Beau Dowler

In: Chance Bateman, Ryan Schoenmakers, Liam Shiels
Out: Lance Franklin (Suspended, 1 Week), Rhan Hooper (Hamstring, 4-6 Weeks), Campbell Brown (Knee, 4-8 Weeks)[/QUOTE]

Would like to add Dowler to the extended bench, hopefully first emergency or even included in the place of Schoenmakers. Could be a surprise inclusion, as we know not to take Box Hill form with any seriousness.

OK, here's an issue for all you supposed Hawks supporters, some of which i know couldnt quote their membership number for this year.

From the gf 2008 we lost Crawf (25 quality pos a game), Dew (who won the game with Junior), Croad (our best attacking backman) and we traded 2-3 players.

2009 was a sh1t year that we all put down to injury.
to give
2010. Early days we matched it with the best in the comp (cats, dogs) but then fell away. Played the best game since 2008 against the Blues to give us all hope.

Now the question(s)

1. Have we gone backwards, gameplan is void or
2. Have other teams past us in talent? The only player i have seen and rate is Stratton. Dowler, Muston, Sheils, Schoenmakers - not up to the standard

Love my Hawks but frustrated

OK, here's an issue for all you supposed Hawks supporters, some of which i know couldnt quote their membership number for this year.
Way to make friends:rolleyes:

Supporters who claim to be bigger supporters than others really need to get over themselves.

...and yes, I am a member.

10 years straight.

To your question - I personally think we have gone backwards and I believe alot of that has to do with mentle application. We play like the hunted. In 07/08 we were the hunter.

Out: Franklin, Brown, Hooper, Murphy
In: Shoenmakers, Muston, Bateman, Dowler

A strong case can be made that Dowler on current form does not warrant being selected. However I believe he should be given an opportunity despite his lack of form. There is no significant downside by dropping Murphy. He is serviceable at best. Replacing him with Dowler is a risk but worth a punt. He may just surprise everyone and show some form. If he doesn't cut it, at least we will know that he's not up to it at AFL level and can delist him with a clean conscious. Keeping him at Box Hill is going to ensure we have Thorp 2.0 coming at the end of this year. I hope the selectors show some faith and imagination and give him a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Whitecross / Gillham / Guerra
HB: Birchall / Stratton / Hodge
C: Bateman / Mitchell / Young
HF: Lewis / Roughhead / Osbourne
F: Peterson /Dowler / Rioli

Foll: Renouf / Burgoyne /Sewell
Int: Schoenmakers/ Ellis/ Skipper / Murphy

Outs: Buddy (susp), Brownie (inj), Hooper (inj)
Ins: Bateman (back from suspension), Schoenmakers (could be used forward or back) Dowler (regardless of BH form we need to find out before end of this year if he is a keeper or not)
Hodge to go back to make up for lack of Brownie's hardness and experience
Burgoyne to carve it up in the middle
Murphy has done enough to stay in and 3 changes is enough

So is it round 11 that rookies can play without being upgraded through a LTI?
Or do we put Hooper on the LTI list, and upgrade Bruest?
Either way bring him in I say, sounds like he's been carving it up at BH, and would be a perfect replacement for Hoops.

In: Shoenmakers, Bateman, Bruest.
Out: Franklin, Hooper, Brown.

(Got a feeling it will be Musto instead of Bruest though..)

Well, at least Port have copped it hard with injuries too.

PORT ADELAIDE
Dean Brogan (back) - test
John Butcher (back) - indefinite
Brett Ebert (concussion) - test
Robbie Gray (hamstring) - 2 weeks
Cameron Hitchcock (shoulder) - test
Nathan Krakouer (groin) - 3 weeks
Andrew Moore (groin) - 4-5 weeks
Marlon Motlop (foot) - indefinite
Michael Pettigrew (knee) - 8-10 weeks
Steven Salopek (shoulder) - test
Warren Tredrea (ankle) - 10-12 weeks

Well, at least Port have copped it hard with injuries too.

PORT ADELAIDE
Dean Brogan (back) - test
John Butcher (back) - indefinite
Brett Ebert (concussion) - test
Robbie Gray (hamstring) - 2 weeks
Cameron Hitchcock (shoulder) - test
Nathan Krakouer (groin) - 3 weeks
Andrew Moore (groin) - 4-5 weeks
Marlon Motlop (foot) - indefinite
Michael Pettigrew (knee) - 8-10 weeks
Steven Salopek (shoulder) - test
Warren Tredrea (ankle) - 10-12 weeks

They'd better hope Brogan, Salopek and Ebert are better than 'Test'

So is it round 11 that rookies can play without being upgraded through a LTI?
Or do we put Hooper on the LTI list, and upgrade Bruest?
Either way bring him in I say, sounds like he's been carving it up at BH, and would be a perfect replacement for Hoops.

In: Shoenmakers, Bateman, Bruest.
Out: Franklin, Hooper, Brown.

(Got a feeling it will be Musto instead of Bruest though..)

They would be my changes also. I agree that Muston will probably be brought in ahead of Bruest. If this is the case I'd play Muston on the wing, WhiteX in defence with Hodge and Burgoyne rotating between a HFF and midfield as we need to manfacture some goals. The tackling pressure, ability to win contest ball and good foot skills of those two will be of benefit up forward. Might also be worth playing Skipper up forward when Renouf is rucking to make the Power defenders accountable. Therefore my line-up would be:

Guerra Gilham Murphy
Birchall Stratton Whitecross
Lewis Mitchell Burgoyne
Hodge Schoey Ossie
Rioli Roughie Peterson
Renouf Sewell Bateman (run with Pearce)

Young, Skipper, Muston, Ellis

How about if we play Burgoyne as a forward???? Has he ever played that position before and does anyone know the most goals he has scored in a game.

I think moving Burgoyne to the forwardline just to see how we go, send Hodge to the defence. Mitchel, Sewel, Lewis and Ellis play middle they should be able to win enought footy.

Out: Hooper (inj), Franklin (sus), Brown (inj)

Bring in Shiels or Tuck to cover for Hodge playing in Defence. Shoemakers to give us another option forward and Muston for additional run!

Does anyone else expect to see a physical nasty game this weekend? Port will come out breathing fire and will likely try to rough up Burgoyne and I can see us flying the flag leading to a game of constant spot fires...

Does anyone else expect to see a physical nasty game this weekend? Port will come out breathing fire and will likely try to rough up Burgoyne and I can see us flying the flag leading to a game of constant spot fires...

It might be a good thing if Port try to play the man rather than the ball.

How about if we play Burgoyne as a forward???? Has he ever played that position before and does anyone know the most goals he has scored in a game.

Burgoyne could definitely play as a forward if needed. He spent a bit of time early in his career with Port playing up forward and was more than handy. He has kicked 5 goals in a game twice, and funnily enough one of those games was against Hawthorn.

This will be a VERY interesting week in terms of Clarkson and co.'s selection policy. I see two scenarios:

A) We bring in players who haven't shown any form at Box Hill but replace like for like
B) We bring in the best available (based on form and talent)

With scenario A it could be:

Out: Franklin, Brown, Hooper
In: Morton/Dowler, Ladson, Moss

With scenario B it could be:

Out Franklin, Brown, Hooper
In: Schoenmakers, Suckling and Shiels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back