Preview Changes & Discussion - Hawks vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I focus on who we already have in the better I feel. :)

I think I might try that :thumbsu:............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................yeah, that hasn't worked :mad:

Port will make plenty of changes, they probably lose Salopek and Hitchcock to injury, and would have to drop anothecouple but will regain Motlop from suspension.

I'd want someone on Motlop as, whilst he's lazy and can have useless games, if he turns it on he can hurt you in the blink of an eye. Ditto Ebert. For that reason Murphy stays and we replace Brown with a defender as back-up. That means we're probably looking at Muston to come in, and make him and Whitecross play as ground level defenders who can go in the air with either Ebert or Motlop.

Buddy is replaced by Schoey, Hoops is replaced by Changa.

Side would be:

Guerra Gilham Murphy
Birchall Stratton Hodge
Lewis Mitchell Ellis
S-makers Roughead Osborne
Rioli Skipper Bateman

Renouf Sewell Burgoyne

I: Young, Muston, Whitecross, Peterson
E: Ladson, Suckling, Shiels

Out: Hooper In: Bateman - will be itching to get out there

Out: Brown In: Ladson - Can put pressure on oppostion if has self belief

Out: Franklin In: Shiels - No point bringing in a tall for the sake of it if they are #$%!

Last year we played them at the G and Tredrea kicked 6 goals and was the difference and Logan had mark of the year and we played worse than we playing now and we had a number of players playing injured or no match condition but this time there is no Tredrea, prob no Logan, Solopak and Ebert and no Lade and no Burgoynes and no Grey, and we have played into some good form and changed our game style and we have Burgoyne.
Buddy or no Buddy we will win i can't see us losing.

B: Guerra Gilham Murphy
HB: Birchall Stratton Whitecross
C: Lewis Mitchell Young
HF: Burgoyne Peterson Bateman
F: Rioli Roughead Osborne
R: Renouf Sewell Hodge
INT: Ellis Skipper Shiels Bruest

Peterson at CHF, Can take a good grab and his quick, May be a tough match up for the Port backman. Don't see the need for Lisle, Dowler or Schoey yet. Schoey may be performing well at BHH but can't play foward. Dowler is struggling to get a kick and LIsle still a bit raw and may be exploited by Chaplin or Cornes the other way if played.

Hopefully we can get another win and set us up for a great 2nd half to the season.
Go Hawks!!!!!
:)

If there's a bogey team for the Hawks, Port are the ones. Have dreadful memories of this team hurting us bad. Those awful 100 + floggings over there and killing our 2007 season dead in it's tracks down in Tassie with those 2 goals in the last minute spring to mind.

Can only remember 3 wins over these guys in the last 10 years (glad to be corrected), The Semi win in 2001, a win in 2007 over there and a win in Tassie in 2008 (after being 40 points down).

I reckon Williams will be talking up their chances in house reminding them of their hold over us.

Can not take this mob for granted.

Maybe Burgoyne can enlighten the coaching staff of what the blueprint Port pull out of the drawer every year is! Because it usually works a treat.

A must win for the Hawks if we are any chance to be a factor in 2010.

In Bateman - Out Hooper
In Shoenmakers - Out Buddy
In Shiels - Out Brown

Replace smalls with smalls and talls with talls, pace with pace (Bateman/Hooper), mongrel with mongrel (Shiels/Brown)

Keeps the balance of the winning side.

How have Shoey, Dowler and Lisle gone respectively of late in the twos???

Bateman comes in, that one is easy, to replace Hooper. Brown out means Ladson maybe comes in.

Now the buddy swap. I'd possibly prefer us to go with Breust, if what I am reading is right. Browny moves the to LTI list and he gets elevated. Seems to be a natural forward. Could make for an interesting match-up as not much will be known about him.

If not, then one of the 3 listed above.

Also, could Skipper be played forward???

Also, could Skipper be played forward???

Ohhhh yeah.

Cameos probably as opposed to an expected positional move but if we can get the mismatch we want he can make a huge difference early in the match - provided we kick to his strengths - kicked 4 goals in the first quarter against Geelong in either '06 or '07 from memory.

Re Breust: he needs to be elevated before he can play seniors. And that raises the question of who gets demoted?

JKT?

Done nothing wrong but his role seems to be ably filled by Birch and Young atm - if worse came to worse, he's only demoted for a week anyway?

Ohhhh yeah.

Cameos probably as opposed to an expected positional move but if we can get the mismatch we want he can make a huge difference early in the match - provided we kick to his strengths - kicked 4 goals in the first quarter against Geelong in either '06 or '07 from memory.

That was what I thought. Just means we may be able to bring in another runner, and he could play some time early or late in the quarters after rucking ala Hille.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schoey expecting to play forward I think for Buddy, he has played well at Box Hill.
Bateman will play his usual switch role midfield and forward for Hooper but 3 weeks won't be match conditioned.
I think Shiels comes in for Browny, not a direct replacement from a position perspective, unless Muston gets a go.
The only other doubt is Ellis who is recovering from a broken nose, not sure if he had that operated on or not.

B: Murphy / Gilham / Guerra
HB: Birchall / Stratton / Hodge
C: Bateman / Mitchell / Young
HF: Rioli / Roughead / Osborne
F: Peterson / Schoenmakers / Whitecross

Foll: Renouf / Burgoyne / Sewell
Int: Lewis / Ellis / Skipper / Shiels

Of late Roughy has played high, venturing onto the wings for kicks. Playing him @ CHF means he is only 60m from his posted position when on a wing - not 100m...

Hodge to play in defence for mine - I was ridiculed for saying it earlier in the week but he more than makes up for what we lose with Browny out.

Shiels comes in to replace what we lose with Hodge playing in defence. I am not saying Shiels = Hodge; I am saying that Shiels has the tank to run all day & will be at the bottom of every pack all day.

Our tall forwards are there (IMO) predominantly to contest the high ball & stop their 4 backmen taller than 191cm dominating the air. FF just needs to crash packs & watch that little genius Cyril go crazy running away from the lumbering big men!

* Format swiped from Goody 1971*

Re Breust: he needs to be elevated before he can play seniors. And that raises the question of who gets demoted?

I believe anyone can play after rd 11....I am not 100% sure, but believe any rookie can play seniors. Can someone pls confirm

I believe anyone can play after rd 11....I am not 100% sure, but believe any rookie can play seniors. Can someone pls confirm

All list rules are for the entire season except for the long term injury list rule. (no players can be added to the LTI list after round 18)

And for those suggesting that rookie players be elevated via the LTI you have to realise that the senior player being put on the LTI cant rejoin the main list in less than 8 weeks after being added to that list which would prob mean at least ten games out by the time they have done all the medicals and got it through the AFL approvals

I would have though that we would look to bring in experienced players, to ensure that our game plan does not suffer too much.

Out: Brown In: Ladson

Yeah Ladson has been down on form, and people say he hasn't been all that impressive at Box Hill, however he rarely plays well when the rest of the team is down. But i would imagine he would have gotten some hunger back in the 2s, so he should grab the opportunity with both hands to play in the seniors.

Out: Hooper In: Bateman

This is a pretty obvious one as Changa is easily in our best 22. I would look to move Cyril into the 50 at Buddy and Roughies feet along with Osbourne. And use Bateman's run in the Middle.

Out: Franklin In: Shoenmakers

This one is a little more difficult one, but Shoey played most of his juniors in the forward line and this should take a little pressure off him up forward and let him sneak under the radar.

FB: Murphy - Gilham - Guerra
HB: Birchall - Stratton - Ladson
R: Renouf - Hodge - Sewell
C: Burgoyne - Mitchell - Lewis
HF: Bateman - Shoenmakers - Peterson
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Osborne
I/C: Skipper - Whitecross - Young - Ellis

However it doesn't really matter who we bring in, because if the boys come to play the games is ours for the taking. We should know in the first 5 mins if we are switched on.

I would have though that we would look to bring in experienced players, to ensure that our game plan does not suffer too much.

Yeah Ladson has been down on form, and people say he hasn't been all that impressive at Box Hill, however he rarely plays well when the rest of the team is down. But i would imagine he would have gotten some hunger back in the 2s, so he should grab the opportunity with both hands to play in the seniors.

Out: Hooper In: Bateman

This is a pretty obvious one as Changa is easily in our best 22. I would look to move Cyril into the 50 at Buddy and Roughies feet along with Osbourne. And use Bateman's run in the Middle.

Out: Franklin In: Shoenmakers

This one is a little more difficult one, but Shoey played most of his juniors in the forward line and this should take a little pressure off him up forward and let him sneak under the radar.

FB: Murphy - Gilham - Guerra
HB: Birchall - Stratton - Ladson
R: Renouf - Hodge - Sewell
C: Burgoyne - Mitchell - Lewis
HF: Bateman - Shoenmakers - Peterson
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Osborne
I/C: Skipper - Whitecross - Young - Ellis

However it doesn't really matter who we bring in, because if the boys come to play the games is ours for the taking. We should know in the first 5 mins if we are switched on.

The 1st 5 minutes is the longest and most nervous 5 minutes of my life..:eek:

If there's a bogey team for the Hawks, Port are the ones. Have dreadful memories of this team hurting us bad. Those awful 100 + floggings over there and killing our 2007 season dead in it's tracks down in Tassie with those 2 goals in the last minute spring to mind.

Can only remember 3 wins over these guys in the last 10 years (glad to be corrected), The Semi win in 2001, a win in 2007 over there and a win in Tassie in 2008 (after being 40 points down).

I reckon Williams will be talking up their chances in house reminding them of their hold over us.

Can not take this mob for granted.

Maybe Burgoyne can enlighten the coaching staff of what the blueprint Port pull out of the drawer every year is! Because it usually works a treat.

A must win for the Hawks if we are any chance to be a factor in 2010.

In Bateman - Out Hooper
In Shoenmakers - Out Buddy
In Shiels - Out Brown

Replace smalls with smalls and talls with talls, pace with pace (Bateman/Hooper), mongrel with mongrel (Shiels/Brown)

Keeps the balance of the winning side.

Don't usually quote myself but Shhhhhhhhh has ticked this one off.

Great minds..

port have more key players out than we do atm so i really cant see us losing if we come to play. The only negative i see is that buddy misses out on a bag, carlile is leaking goals every week and is out of form. Put skipper up there and rotate him in the ruck i think, schoey comes in to play on westhoff imo, If ebert plays our boy stratts will be on his shoulder and let gilham take schultz who i have no doubt port will bring into the side so to try and expose our height in the backline. Teams are doing this every week atm, seems to be an assumption that our backline is crap and the more big blokes down there the more goals will be scored, disagree with this, it is our midfield which is now coming into form which is not allowing easy inside 50s like we were seeing a few weeks ago.

port have more key players out than we do atm so i really cant see us losing if we come to play. The only negative i see is that buddy misses out on a bag, carlile is leaking goals every week and is out of form. Put skipper up there and rotate him in the ruck i think, schoey comes in to play on westhoff imo, If ebert plays our boy stratts will be on his shoulder and let gilham take schultz who i have no doubt port will bring into the side so to try and expose our height in the backline. Teams are doing this every week atm, seems to be an assumption that our backline is crap and the more big blokes down there the more goals will be scored, disagree with this, it is our midfield which is now coming into form which is not allowing easy inside 50s like we were seeing a few weeks ago.

2 very good points, we have sustained the oposition inside 50s and we have been playing good footy even though we came close in 2 games doesnt matter we still found a way to win which means we are starting to get back to our winning mentality.
I cant see us losing be very upset if we do..

I miss Ladson as well but against Port I don't see the point, they're likely to go reasonably tall in the forward line, on the basis they don't really have a choice with injuries, so he's unlikely to have a matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back