Preview Changes & Discussion - Hawks vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And by the way, I suggest checking out the Port board for their equivalent of this thread. It's a goddamn witch hunt over there at the moment. If there players are anywhere near as disenchanted as their fans then we should win by 50+ points.

And by the way, I suggest checking out the Port board for their equivalent of this thread. It's a goddamn witch hunt over there at the moment. If there players are anywhere near as disenchanted as their fans then we should win by 50+ points.

Sounds a lot like our board pre-Carlton ;)

This will be a VERY interesting week in terms of Clarkson and co.'s selection policy. I see two scenarios:

A) We bring in players who haven't shown any form at Box Hill but replace like for like
B) We bring in the best available (based on form and talent)

With scenario A it could be:

Out: Franklin, Brown, Hooper
In: Morton/Dowler, Ladson, Moss

With scenario B it could be:

Out Franklin, Brown, Hooper
In: Schoenmakers, Suckling and Shiels

Morton played in the back half last week and i will be upset if he comes in, particularly given the WCE game he was not the answer next to Rougie.

Shiels did not play last week for box hill, and therefore has had 2 weeks off (i.e BH had a bye)

Suckers has showed nothing at all.

For me:

In Shoey/ Muston / Dowler or Lisle

Lisle presents very well, and runs hard. Dowler - may have a niggle this week, but with hooper out, lets keep him in for 3 weeks and play the '3rd forward'.

Musto - provide run and carry and the long kick that we require.

Ladson is slow - should not be in the team, and has not improved his defensive skills.

Out: Franklin, Hooper, Brown

In: Bateman, Muston/Moss/Ladson, Schoenmakers

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Brendan Whitecross
HB: Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, Thomas Murphy
C: Clinton Young, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis
HF: Cyril Rioli, Ryan Schoenmakers, Shaun Burgoyne
F: Carl Peterson, Jarryd Roughead, Michael Osborne
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell
I/C (from): Xavier Ellis, Beau Muston/Hugo Moss, Wayde Skipper, Rick Ladson

I would like to see Schoey play as a long leading CHF. We are crying out for someone in this position imo.. Roughhead certainly isnt presenting with any confidence.

Ladson - We need this guy playing good football again - unless he is suffering an injury & not at 100%

Yer I went on thier board last night, we can't lose this game due to it being at the MCG if down there they have thier supporters cheering them on and they wouldn't want to lose 2 weeks straight down there but at the MCG they won't have the same support.
I be very disapointed if we can't beat them here.

This will be a VERY interesting week in terms of Clarkson and co.'s selection policy. I see two scenarios:

A) We bring in players who haven't shown any form at Box Hill but replace like for like
B) We bring in the best available (based on form and talent)

With scenario A it could be:

Out: Franklin, Brown, Hooper
In: Morton/Dowler, Ladson, Moss

With scenario B it could be:

In: Schoenmakers, Suckling and Shiels

Forgotten Changa already, Nev?

Out: Franklin, Hooper, Brown

In: Bateman, Muston/Moss/Ladson, Schoenmakers

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Brendan Whitecross
HB: Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, Thomas Murphy
C: Clinton Young, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis
HF: Cyril Rioli, Ryan Schoenmakers, Shaun Burgoyne
F: Carl Peterson, Jarryd Roughead, Michael Osborne
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell
I/C (from): Xavier Ellis, Beau Muston/Hugo Moss, Wayde Skipper, Rick Ladson

I would like to see Schoey play as a long leading CHF. We are crying out for someone in this position imo.. Roughhead certainly isnt presenting with any confidence.

Ladson - We need this guy playing good football again - unless he is suffering an injury & not at 100%

I think you have nailed it Kirbatron, this lineup is the only option that gives us a decent chance of winning. The only change I would make would be the interchange:
I/C (from): Xavier Ellis, Beau Muston, Wayde Skipper, Moss/Shiels

Muston has to come in as a mid/HB option, Moss back in for a last chance at senior impact in the forward line - Shiels to bring in a little Campbell Brown tenacity around the packs.

Shoey has played forward before - and i would definitely pick him before Dowler. Depending on how Roughie goes (and the weather) we could cycle Shoes into FF or the pocket - or play a goalsneak like Moss up there.

i reckon it's time Moss gets another go. He's a proven goal kicker, and reckon he was very unlucky to be dropped in the first place.

I'd like to see:

Out: Franko, Hoops and Brown

In: Lisle, Bateman and Bruest

FF: Bruest - Roughead - Rioli
HF: Osborne - Lisle - Peterson
Ce: Lewis - Mitchell - Young
HB: Hodge - Stratton - Birchall
FB: Guerra - Gilham - Murphy

Ru: Renouf
RR: Sewell
Ro: Burgoyne

I/C: Skipper, Bateman, Ellis and Whitecross

Emer: Schoey, Muston and Ladson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yer I went on thier board last night, we can't lose this game due to it being at the MCG if down there they have thier supporters cheering them on and they wouldn't want to lose 2 weeks straight down there but at the MCG they won't have the same support.
I be very disapointed if we can't beat them here.

We've actually been better on the road (bar Kardinia) than we have at home this year.

Guerra Gilham Murphy
Birchall Schoenmakers Stratton

Renouf Sewell Hodge
Bateman Mitchell Lewis

Rioli Roughead Burgoyne
Osborne Skipper Peterson

Int: Ellis, Young, Whitecross, Muston

Ryan replaces Campbell Brown in defence who has played very well there since returning to his natural position. Unfortunate injury, but will be back.

I suppose we replace Rhan Hooper with Chance Batemans run. More midfield running, but still doesn't mean we lose pace;)

I guess with Lisle/Dowler/Morton being the Buddy replacments, Im willing to mix things up with plan A, B and even C before we play one of them.

Skipper has played up forward before and with Ossie, Cyril, Carl on the ground hopefully he can provide a contest and even big Brent can put a bit of time up forward.

Shaun Burgoyne at FF could be a plan B. Peterson out of the square, just rotate throughout the game I guess.

GO HAWKS. And hopefully Bateman can improve his 0-6 record this year;)

Good to hear Mitch has had a good game down at Werribee.

Lot of posters like having Boots in the forward line. Dowler has shown far more in the ones in the forward line. I would give Dowler a run before Boots. Boots to come in if there is a place in the backline for him.

The three blokes we have lost this week result in a massive loss of pace from the side. We have come good because we have introduced more pace into the side - I hope the selectors realise this. We are soooo much more dangerous with smalls around Buddy and Roughie.

Bateman back helps offset one of the three in terms of loss of pace. Bringing in Moss, Ladson and/or Schoenmakers is a step backwards with legspeed so I hope we dont go down that path.

I would be looking to Bruest to replace Hooper to maintain our competitive edge at ground level and then the next spot is up for grabs. The weather may be a factor whether we go tall or small. Everyone wants to see a Dowler or Lisle come in for structural reasons but the pattern at selection this year has not been to replace like for like. We may see Skipper up forward this week in Franklin's place and elect to go for another runner/forward such as Morton. Interesting week for Ladson at selection...

Why does every one keep Bringing up Bruest? He may be playing awsome at BHH but we can't elevate him anyway.
Bateman Muston Moss would be good INS. Maybe Lado to replace Brown.

Why does every one keep Bringing up Bruest? He may be playing awsome at BHH but we can't elevate him anyway.
Bateman Muston Moss would be good INS. Maybe Lado to replace Brown.

I vaguely remember hearing rookies can play round 11 onwards- without needing to be upgraded- is this not the case?

And let's reward the young fella for his good form/endevour. I know this brings up the experience/youth debate, but I'd rather see Bruest come in than the more 'experienced' blokes like laddo etc who have done eff all at BH.

The three blokes we have lost this week result in a massive loss of pace from the side. We have come good because we have introduced more pace into the side - I hope the selectors realise this. We are soooo much more dangerous with smalls around Buddy and Roughie.

Bateman back helps offset one of the three in terms of loss of pace. Bringing in Moss, Ladson and/or Schoenmakers is a step backwards with legspeed so I hope we dont go down that path.

I would be looking to Bruest to replace Hooper to maintain our competitive edge at ground level and then the next spot is up for grabs. The weather may be a factor whether we go tall or small. Everyone wants to see a Dowler or Lisle come in for structural reasons but the pattern at selection this year has not been to replace like for like. We may see Skipper up forward this week in Franklin's place and elect to go for another runner/forward such as Morton. Interesting week for Ladson at selection...

Spot on RR, structure is important, very important, but it is one of many factors that come into selection consideration.

They'd also be thinking that Port;

• has a pretty tallish backline - let's exploit them for pace
  • had a real slog in the wet last week and will be 'leg heavy' - let's exploit them for pace.
  • have quality small to mid size players with pace - let's not let them get on top with weight of numbers and rotations.
  • talls are not as daunting as they have been - we can play a 'like' who hasn't been doing much at Box Hill and get beaten or we can exploit it by playing a different style.
I'm still going with my original Muston, Bateman, Bruest inclusions and, if they give Ellis a spell - Stokes, Shiels or Shoe for the last spot.

I agree with you, TAITA.

Would be a good game for Breust to debut. I would have Shiels ahead of Muston if they don't give Ellis a spell. Don't know why, Shiels has impressed me more.

Muston could gain a bit of confidence but he just doesn't do enough. I think he has to play in the midfield, he's not a running defender IMO

Buddy - Shoemakers/Dowler/Lisle

Tough one, but we need another tall target in our forward 50. Dowler impressed in the second half of last year, but seems to be struggling according to Box Hill board reports. Lisle seems to be playing more consistently, so I would perhaps go with him??

Brown - I would send Hodge back to defence, Lewis in the guts and Changa to the wing.

Hooper - Moss/Shiels/Bruest/Muston/Stokes.

Is there a job for Shiels in tagging say Pearce/Rodan/Boak? Perhaps rotating with Changa on one of these. If so, that's my pick.

Rioli can stay more forward. Forward line of Roughy/Skipper/Lisle/Rioli/Petersen/Ossie has enough talls and smalls mix to kick a winning score. If we can get some input from Burgers/Birch/Lewis/Young/Mitch etc on the scoreboard would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back