Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Bombers Round 17. (10 day break)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich.

Ins- Jaxon Prior, Darcy Wilmot.

Prior in is a certainty, the other is a toss up between Wilmot, Michael, Madden and Lester IMO, I'd love to see Wilmot given a crack, has been good in the reserves and would bring a different look to our back set up with his run, his disposal by foot has also been good in the reserves, Michael would be a like for like... I love Froggy but I hope we take the opportunity to give a young guy a crack.

Outs- Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich.

Ins- Jaxon Prior, Darcy Wilmot.

Prior in is a certainty, the other is a toss up between Wilmot, Michael, Madden and Lester IMO, I'd love to see Wilmot given a crack, has been good in the reserves and would bring a different look to our back set up with his run, his disposal by foot has also been good in the reserves, Michael would be a like for like... I love Froggy but I hope we take the opportunity to give a young guy a crack.

Ah Chee played well down back. With Prior taking his wing spot I'd expect he would have Richs spot.

Probably TBerry again for Zorko

It was apparent with Lyons being less prominent , Answerth , Coleman , Starcevich and Ah Chee down back , and Prior and Tunstill when he was up and going in the middle of the game that we had more zip around the ground than we've had all year. In addition McCarthy and Cameron got well up the ground and then out the back.

Overall we looked quicker even without Bailey playing much of a role . Andrews off half back ,Adams deeper. Hipwood getting up the ground more than he has so far this year.

This is the structure we should try to replicate going forward. I wouldn't be bringing Gardiner back unless something changes.

It was apparent with Lyons being less prominent , Answerth , Coleman , Starcevich and Ah Chee down back , and Prior and Tunstill when he was up and going in the middle of the game that we had more zip around the ground than we've had all year. In addition McCarthy and Cameron got well up the ground and then out the back.

Overall we looked quicker even without Bailey playing much of a role . Andrews off half back ,Adams deeper. Hipwood getting up the ground more than he has so far this year.

This is the structure we should try to replicate going forward. I wouldn't be bringing Gardiner back unless something changes.

I think the lack of pressure from the opposition had a lot to do with us looking quicker

Geelong will most likely gain some percentage gap over us today so next week should be about making up lost percentage from the Melbourne game as that will really be our last easyish game before the massive run home.

I think the lack of pressure from the opposition had a lot to do with us looking quicker
No doubt. They started to get tired just before half time. We were waltzing through at times.

But I still think that once Zorko and Rich went off the structure we put in place gave us more offensive drive.

I'm still sceptical about us against the top teams but just really happy to get a convincing win and still be well in the race.

With Tunstill and Prior in, unlikely to go with another kid.

Ah Chee down back for Rich makes sense.

Prior in for Zorks with a shuffle to have him on the wing.

Either Cockatoo or Dev as sub. Probably Cockatoo adds more versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Out: Zorko, Rich, McStay
In: Mathieson, Prior, Fort

We looked better at the start of the season with two talls and a resting ruckman drifting forward than we do currently with three talls. With Cameron, Rayner, McCarthy and Bailey as forward options and the midfield hitting the scoreboard, we gain more from having two ruckman than we do from having McStay in the side. From here to the finals we need to plumb for a settled team and we can’t afford to carry McStay the way we did in the 2020 series where he managed a total of 6 disposals, 4 marks, 0 goal assists, 2 tackles and 1 goal in two finals. He is not a big occasion player and then there is the fact that he does not look like he will be with us next year. This year the build up and finals experience should go to a player who is contracted or will be with us beyond 2022.

Out: Zorko, Rich
In: Prior, Dev

Keep Ah Chee back for Rich, Prior stays on the wing. Dev has been poor but would love to see him or Terry played inside against a lowly bombers, Jerry needs to be played more inside as well. Still don't think Matho can come into a midfield with Neale and Lyons.

Payne to keep his spot and I think we persist with Hippy/Mac/Daniher as the talls up forward.

While its a long break this is the exact sort of game I advocate for us to rotate the list. At home against a lower opponent is the time we should look to rest older or sore bodies and trial kids or the backups. So I would normally be advocating for Zorko, Rich, Lyons to be considered for an extra break pre finals.

I really hope we don't rush them back and back in and risk further pain.

So I'd hope for Terry and Dev in with the same position spots we had. I also wouldn't be upset by trialling Carter/Wilmot or even giving Matho a run for Lyons. But there is a balance of too many kids in with Tunstill already there.

Please also keep Payne in. He looks better every game and this is the time to keep him growing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish we could squeeze lohman in. Looked great in the VFL. He’s an exciting talent.
Prior for Rich, Ah Chee back. Lohmann for Zorko to get more mid time to Rayner, Berry and Bailey?

Prior for Rich, Ah Chee back. Lohmann for Zorko to get more mid time to Rayner, Berry and Bailey?

In: Prior, Wilmot,
Out: Rich, Zorko

Prior to the wing, Wilmot to the backline, Ah Chee, Berry and Bailey to share time on the wing and on the ball.

D3D3E87B-DE2A-481E-AA52-209FB88E55AE.png
A1B02483-E44E-4B5D-8B24-DCC1D68D320A.png
Great to win against the Bulldogs, but we still need to get our defence right. Andrews, Coleman, Starcevich and Payne had good games which helped, but teams still get hold of us and score heavily. We are currently the worst team in the Top Eight for scores against and this is a real worry. By way of contrast, look at the teams around us vying for the flag and look how mean to their defences are. Anyone who doesn’t think we have to make changes in defensive personnel, tactics or both doesn’t understand what is required to win a flag. Of course people will argue that we have the strongest attack, which is true, but our attack doesn’t look so flash against top teams. We only managed 70 points in our loss to Geelong, 85 points in our loss to Fremantle and 53 points in our loss to Melbourne.

In order to win the flag this year we need to get our defence right and our forwards need to produce their best on the big stage.

The rationale behind the competition is about winning Premierships, not win loss ratios during the home and away season.

I don’t want to concede this season, which some seem to be doing, I’d rather see Fagan making the bold and ruthless decisions required for us to win the flag.

Last edited:
View attachment 1437613
View attachment 1437614
Great to win against the Bulldogs, but we still need to get our defence right. Andrews, Coleman, Starcevich and Payne had good games which helped, but teams still get hold of us and score heavily. We are currently the worst team in the Top Eight for scores against and this is a real worry. By way of contrast, look at the teams around us vying for the flag and look how mean to their defences are. Anyone who doesn’t think we have to make changes in defensive personnel, tactics or both doesn’t understand what is required to win a flag. Of course people will argue that we have the strongest attack, which is true, but our attack doesn’t look so flash against top teams. We only managed 70 points in our loss to Geelong, 85 points in our loss to Fremantle and 53 points in our loss to Melbourne.

In order to win the flag this year we need to get our defence right and our forwards need to produce their best on the big stage.

The rationale behind the competition is about winning Premierships, not win loss ratios during the home and away season.

I don’t want to concede this season, which some seem to be doing, I’d rather see Fagan making the bold and ruthless decisions required for us to win the flag.

Let me guess, Lester?

If you only you could use your powers for good

On the past month's form Dan would be very fortunate to hold his place. The way Fullarton has been playing in the VFL it would be a very close call IMO. Perhaps what may keep Dan in the seniors is that Fages may not want to be seen as dropping someone because he may be leaving at the end of the season. On form I would be dropping McStay. However consideration may be given to not rock the boat or the current structure. It would be a gutsy move though.

On the past month's form Dan would be very fortunate to hold his place. The way Fullarton has been playing in the VFL it would be a very close call IMO. Perhaps what may keep Dan in the seniors is that Fages may not want to be seen as dropping someone because he may be leaving at the end of the season. On form I would be dropping McStay. However consideration may be given to not rock the boat or the current structure. It would be a gutsy move though.
He seems to have retreated to what he was before we thought he'd come good. A player who does some nice things occasionally that we keep in the side because he'll get better and stronger and in the meantime crashes packs and brings the ball to ground ,whatever. He's not even doing that right now.

It'd be too gutsy to drop him , we need to get these last few weeks out of him at a higher work rate which I'm sure they're trying to do. Our other hope is that Fullarton is a late maturer who gets stronger. His last Senior game was about the Dan standard 3 years ago.

View attachment 1437613
View attachment 1437614

While I agree that we need to tighten up our defence IMO it is largely an all over ground problem rather than a strictly back 6-7 problem.

1- Our midfield and forwards are spasmodic in their defensive pressure up the ground.
2- Our centre bounce defensive structure can fall apart for extended periods during games which leads to opposition mids streaming out of the centre square unhindered and with the advent of the 6 6 6 this leaves our defensive group exposed, all teams defensive group struggle with that scenario.

I would be very confident re beating any team that may make the 8 apart from the Demons, Cats and Tigers.... we would have to play to 100% of our ability particularly with our pressure and intensity all over the ground to beat those 3 sides if they're in form and largely injury free in finals IMO.

He seems to have retreated to what he was before we thought he'd come good. A player who does some nice things occasionally that we keep in the side because he'll get better and stronger and in the meantime crashes packs and brings the ball to ground ,whatever. He's not even doing that right now.

It'd be too gutsy to drop him , we need to get these last few weeks out of him at a higher work rate which I'm sure they're trying to do. Our other hope is that Fullarton is a late maturer who gets stronger. His last Senior game was about the Dan standard 3 years ago.
Agree with everything you said except for the last bit. I thought Fullarton played a really good game in his last senior outing and was extremely unlucky to be dropped. In fact I recall Fagan saying that at the time. I don’t recall McStay playing too many games a lot better than that,maybe 10 or 15 out of his 150 at best.

Rich and Zorko out
Prior in for sure

Then I go either Lohmann, Dev and Cockatoo.
Yes was best match Cockatoo had for a while although maybe another go with better speed in the game would be better. His disposal and tackling is great
Love to get Dev in although Lyons/Neale have his spot and he gets pushed out to a role that often does not play
Lohmann give us some spark.

Agree with everything you said except for the last bit. I thought Fullarton played a really good game in his last senior outing and was extremely unlucky to be dropped. In fact I recall Fagan saying that at the time. I don’t recall McStay playing too many games a lot better than that,maybe 10 or 15 out of his 150 at best.
McStay has had so many chances to develop into something more than he is. He was terrible on Thursday night and should not be in the side. I am delighted for him that Collingwood are going to offer him a ‘big deal’ and glad for other players on our list who might now get a look in.

Only expected to miss the one game.

Big decisions coming, especially around Zorko. Third injury this year of related issues (calf/hamstring /Achilles). His body is going through some serious challenges.

Runners often retired due to exactly these series of injuries. The elasticity is no longer able to recover sufficiently to continue performing at the elite level. And distance running is less stressful to soft tissue than repeat spirits in AFL. Sad.

Even if he gets through training, like this week, I don't trust that he can make it through a game.

In home and away games, we can take the risk. But finals? Is his game so good that one quarter of him is greater than having to play our sub from the first quarter?

Or do we need to start planning for a no Zorko finals series, and reset the mid field structure? Cause what we currently do does not work without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back