Changes for 2nd Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
The selectors have surprised a few of late, I wonder if Wade is any chance of coming in as a batsman? Already 2 test centuries and has a fair bit of mongrel about him. Definitely a better option than Cowan IMO.

Watson
Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Wade
Haddin
Agar
Pattinson
Starc
Siddle

I don't think Cowan is of Test match standard, so I'd replce him with Khawaja.
Also I was less impressed with Pattinson than Starc, so I'd replce him with Bird.

I also think Clarke should return to batting at 5 he looked uncomfortable at 4. I'm not sure Hughes and Smith are solid enough to bat at 4, but I've chosen Hughes because he is more experienced.

My Team:
Watson Rogers Khawaja Hughes Clarke Smith Haddin Agar Starc Siddle Bird

Hayesuel

Debutant
Aug 24, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Khawaja is the frontline batsmen on tour waiting in the wings. Not a good lead in and hasnt played much cricket since being called up for India. Questionable whether he's a better inclusion over Cowan. Only thing that gets him over the line is he is not completely mentally shot, which i suppose is a pretty big factor. Cowan looked like he was in a daze all test match, bumbling in the field and out to sea with the bat.

I'd be inclined to back Ussie in and give him the remainder of the series or at least until we see what happens with Warner come test 3 or 4.

Starc is the obvious other 50/50 call. Dangerous when swinging the ball but pretty tame when he isnt. His left arm around the wicket is pretty pedestrian although he did get Bell out like this? Depending on conditions, Harris/Bird come into contention next test.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think Cowan is of Test match standard, so I'd replce him with Khawaja.
Also I was less impressed with Pattinson than Starc, so I'd replce him with Bird.

I also think Clarke should return to batting at 5 he looked uncomfortable at 4. I'm not sure Hughes and Smith are solid enough to bat at 4, but I've chosen Hughes because he is more experienced.

My Team:
Watson Rogers Khawaja Hughes Clarke Smith Haddin Agar Starc Siddle Bird

Dropping Pattison would be madness. He is our only bowler to average under 25. It wasn't his best match but he will bounce back.

Cowan must go out & never return. Hughes to #3. I expect Koala to come in, but I would draft in Voges who is doing well in County cricket to bat in the middle order.

Bowlers - depends how they pull up, but not a bad thing to rotate them a little through the series to keep them fresh. May give us an advantage as Anderson tires.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geez everyone's harsh on Cowan.

Batted well in India when others flopped.....one poor Test and the door is closed on his career for ever?

One poor test? Really? 18 tests and just one hundred and an average of 31. I think he's had more than a fair go. We can't go forward with a top order batsman with those figures.

Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Geez everyone's harsh on Cowan.

Batted well in India when others flopped.....one poor Test and the door is closed on his career for ever?

I agree there. I would give him the second test but if things don't improve there are players waiting in the wings. It wasn't just the lack of runs but the modes of dismissal that disappointed me as a massive fan of Teddys

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
the problem is scoring a 50 is now seen as sort of saviour for your position... just taking one test in isolation just cause you raised your bat doesn't mean you had a decent test match automatically. 0 and 50 is still an average of 25 and many of our batsmen are doing something similar to this quite often. extrapolate this over many tests (which is also happening) and it becomes a problem.

but so many times a bloke knocks up a half century and it seems to save them for just one more test.
Yeah... that's a fair point. Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that you need to score centuries regularly to be a good batsman, but as you say 50 and 0 isn't good enough.

If your batsmen are only going to get 50s then fair enough, but you need more than just 2 an innings doing it.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cowans results in India looked good cause we collapsed every innings for sub 100.

Generally you can count on Cowan scoring 20-40 and sticking around for most of the first session. It's not crash hot, but it's basically what you want from an opener. Cowan has never been a guy who can save a Test match, but he mostly did his job and that is why his opening partnership with Warner was so successful.

If he's not opening, it's hard to justify his place in the side. It's especially hard to justify it if he throws away his wicket like he did this Test.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
it becomes easier when the replacement is Usman - it's basically a sideways trade. You get rid of one guy who relies on his runs to come from cut and pull shots and who has a troubling record of not going on with it at test level and replace him with someone who relies on his runs to come from cut and pull shots even more and has a more troubling record of not going on with it at test level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Haven't read the whole thread but I thought Pattinson wasted as much of the new ball as Starc. Toss up between the two I reckon. If the Lords pitch looks similar to Trent Bridge I'd go with Harris, if its a bit green, Bird. Cowan out is the no-brainer though Khawaja gives me little confidence.

They both wasted the new ball, so you then go on past history to see who gets the nod.

Patto has proven he is a consistent test quick and starc certainly has not, it's not like starc is awful or anything but this is the ashes you pick your best team and can anybody say right here right now that starc is clearly a better test bowler than harris or bird?

That mini spell when we took the 2nd new ball in england's second knock was a disaster, england were 5 down with just over a 100 lead and the new ball bowlers released all the pressure watson and agar had built up.

One poor test? Really? 18 tests and just one hundred and an average of 31. I think he's had more than a fair go. We can't go forward with a top order batsman with those figures.
He's done his role as opener to a large extent though.

Completely out of place at number 3. He needs to either open or not be in the side.

If his only role in the side currently is at no 3, then he's out for the next test in my view.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
They both wasted the new ball, so you then go on past history to see who gets the nod.

Patto has proven he is a consistent test quicks and starc certainly has not, it's not like starc is awful or anything but this is the ashes you pick your best team and can anybody say right here right now that starc is clearly a better test bowler than harris or bird?

That mini spell when we took the 2nd new ball in england's second knock was a disaster, england were 5 down with just over a 100 lead and the new ball bowlers released all the pressure watson and agar had built up.

agreed , but clarke can take some of the blame as well , didn't have to take the new ball and all the english commentators were saying prior was better with ball coming on(new ball) . and it proved to be true as prior started to get runs.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
it becomes easier when the replacement is Usman - it's basically a sideways trade. You get rid of one guy who relies on his runs to come from cut and pull shots and who has a troubling record of not going with it at test level and replace him with someone who relies on his runs to come from cut and pull shots even more and has a more troubling record of not going with it at test level

I think usman might go alright if they let him play more than 3 tests in a row.

The bloke has played just 6 test matches, that is 6 tests spread across 3 countries and 4 different test series.

He scored a valuable 65 in partnership with ponting as we chased down 310 in SA(his first match back in his latest stint), he then failed on the green tracks vs the kiwis and he's out again.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
agreed , but clarke can take some of the blame as well , didn't have to take the new ball and all the english commentators were saying prior was better with ball coming on(new ball) . and it proved to be true as prior started to get runs.

yeah i must admit it was surprising to see the new ball taken, watson looked like he was going to breakthrough sooner rather than later and agar had just got bairstow.

We at the bare minimum had the run rate well under control, you would think just chipping slowly away while they went nowhere would have been the best option.

NEVER bat Siddle ahead of Patto ever again.
He's not too bad, but you always know Siddle is going to edge one sooner or later. Starc is the same- good if you need quick runs, but not reliable when the heat is on.

Siddle has solid technique and can scrap around, can also play some glorious cricket shots.

He is a nicker though, balls that would beat other tail enders he tends to follow and edge them.

Siddle has earned the right to bat at 9 imo

May 3, 2007
Bugtussle, Oklahoma
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
WEST HAM : THE POSH : FORT WILLIAM
Out: Cowan, Starc
In: Khawaja, Bird

First obviously more likely than the second. I don't think Mitch disgraced himself, but he still bowls too many loose ones.

Absolutely spot on. I reckon Bird has all the tricks to be a match winner. He doesnt bowl pies like Starc and is very reliable. Harris fitness is always questionable so leave him out - very good bowler though.
Khawaja is a classy player who actually has some shots, Cowan is a solid scrapper but that only takes you so far.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I know this thread is about the selected XI, but what about another change - putting in a third man?

Too many easy runs for Bell down there. Same in 2005, they scored heaps down there. I know it can seem to be a bit of a 'waste' of a position, but are there any circumstances (ie particular bowler / batsman combinations) where people think this would be a good move?

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd like to see 2 changes for the second test. Cowan and Starc out, and Khawaja plus one of Bird or Harris in. To me, it just looks like we're one class batsmen short (and no, Khawaja isn't the answer, but he couldn't possibly be worse than Cowan).

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The way I see it is that you either play a third man on low bouncing pitches, or a third slip on high bouncing pitches.

Clarke seemed to follow that rule early in his captaincy, but he stubbornly refused to play a third man in India. Watson did, in the match he captained, and I thought it was a good move.

A lot of nicks weren't carrying at Trent Bridge, especially later in the match, and with the fast outfield a third man could have been helpful. But who knows what the pitch will be like at Lord's.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haven't read the whole thread but I thought Pattinson wasted as much of the new ball as Starc. Toss up between the two I reckon. If the Lords pitch looks similar to Trent Bridge I'd go with Harris, if its a bit green, Bird. Cowan out is the no-brainer though Khawaja gives me little confidence.
I agree, overexcitement, nerves, not enough experience at the ground, but they were both pretty horrid in the first innings. I'd trust Pattinson to come good before Starc, he has more fire in his belly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back