Test Changes for... India 23 Edition + Post-match chat...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming this won't be on FTA, i.e. a Foxtel only scenario?

So looks like I'll re-up Kayo on Feb 9

Which means Netflix and Disney+ get the arse at the same-ish time.

Fox only, which is as you are correct on Kayo too no idea about ABC radio they might have coverage but I'm not sure

not really provides just the same as agar

Plus agar better bat and field

I think the criticism is a bit over the top...you have to support the players to a degree you cant just play them one off test and then F**k them off....it will be a never ending merry go round

SLO go well in India....give agar a test and if he F**ks up yeah I agree then F88k him off

our premier offie only took 2 poles in 55 overs ...yeah agar looked average this test you need to show some support

IMO agar should never of played this test and swepo who I believe was harshly treated by the selectors and played on the roads of pakistan should of been given a go in aussie conditions

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert (I'm not - feel free to educate me) and some of your points sound fair but if you believe he shouldn't have been chosen in the first place (which I agree with) and he isn't the best option then I don't think he should be selected - regardless of whether that is 'fair', 'hurts feelings' or otherwise.

Test bowlers primary job is to take wickets and aside from his poor showings at Test level thus far, he averages over 42 with the ball in first class cricket. That is way too high and highlights he is not a wicket taker. Hell, our batsmen that bowl a bit have lower averages at Test level and they primarily bowl when there is an established partnership at the crease (when wicket taking is more difficult).

Then you have other spinners like Murphy who are 6 years younger and are averaging 17 less in the Shield (bowling average is nearly half that of Agar). I also believe picking high quality bowlers is often more important than the type of bowler. If you have a world class pace bowler (or wrist spinner) or an average SLO bowler, then I feel like the quality bowler is still a better chance to take wickets that the average bowler, even on pitches that better suit the SLO bowler. Teams are often picked for the conditions but I feel like I've seen so many examples of the quick bowlers still being the ones taking wickets, even on slow spinning decks, when the spin bowlers are average.

Finally, if you do have to pick an SLO bowler, I do note that Kuhnemann is 3 years younger, his bowling average is 8 less than Agar, his strike rate and economy are both less than Agar and surprisingly his batting average is very close (28 v 25), though I suspect that is misleading given all the not outs from Kuhnemann.

As I said though, I'm not an expert and an SLO bowler may be a MUST and Agar's bowling may be the equal of Kuhnemann's anyway but looking at the numbers, Agar does not appear the right choice.

Sad about Pant and I hope he recovers all OK.

That said it is a huge boost that he's out. He's an absolute wild card that can win you a game when you have no business doing so.

Could be a Test career ending series for Kohli if he fails here, has been in worse form then probably both Sachin and Ponting towards the end of their careers and hasn't done very well against us for a while now.

Pujara recently made some runs but he's another who could be exposed as being past it against some good bowling.

Hard to say with Rohit, his last tour as opener in England was very good but he also seems to be in a form slump in other formats.

It'll likely be younger guys we need to watch out for like Iyer and Gill. The pitches will likely be very flat is that's when they've had the most success against us. Last time they produced a spinning paradise against us, it back fired.

Agar is a ******* potato bowler but CA will bring him because of inertia. Will average over 100 I reckon with the ball. At least SOK could put 6 balls in the same spot.

Green/Hardie playing and actually bowling will make a huge difference.

But really it's not about the bowling at all, it's whether we can actually make 500+ when required to on a road before it falls to pieces on day 5 and we mentally unfold.

The test squad for India is set to be announced very soon. The first test starts on the 9th of feb. What is everyones prediction for the squad to tour India? My squad is below

Cummins (c)
Smith (vc)
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Head
Green
Carey
Starc
Halzewood
Lyon

Agar
Inglis
Renshaw
Murphy
Handscomb

Dont think they need more than the 3 pacemen. I still think murphy will tour even though agar seems to be the preferred option

Show me your squads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boland should tour, we need a reserve quick and our strength is fast bowling. Would be tempted to take Morris as well if he impressed in the nets.

Swepson perhaps a chance, Murphy if he goes would be for exposure only IMO.

Depends how many they take and if they think a reserve wicket keeper is needed.

Just to be a campaigner, let's go the other way

Rohit (c)
Shubman
Pujara
Virat
Shreyas
Saha (+)
Jadeja
R Ashwin
Shami
Siraj
Bumrah

Mayank
Vihari
Axar
KL (+)
Shardul

What I want:
Would like to see Shubman play in the number three spot from here on in. He is our future #3 bat
Seeing Rishabh is out, KS Bharat and W Saha are aging, bring in either Sanju or Ishan as keeper. and have one of them as permanent back up to Rishabh
That Indian side is bloody scary.....even with Pant out

I'm not sure that we win a test, let alone the series......

That series was also setup by a dominant middle order i just cant see us getting on top of the spinners the way martyn katich and clarke did, everybody will argue over spin combo and bowlers but no matter what bowlers do i just dont see us having batting to put up match winning totals in india.
It’s a good point about how important our batting will be. Making big scores when in and avoiding collapses are key. Big first innings totals put you in the game on any surface. I guess the debate is around the bowlers because if Green is fit our top 7 is pretty locked in.

It'll be a 16 or 17 player squad minimum. Probably 18.

Bats: Warner, Khawaja, Renshaw, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, 2x Handscomb/Harris/Hardie
Keepers: Carey, Inglis
Bowlers: Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Boland, Agar, Lyon, Swepson

Khawaja
Renshaw
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

That Indian side is bloody scary.....even with Pant out

I'm not sure that we win a test, let alone the series......

There's nothing to be scared about.

Gill is averaging 32 in test cricket

Kohli is averaging 25 in test cricket in his last 20 tests (i.e 2 years)

Pant has arguably been their best player and he's not playing. Saha is probably a worse bat than Carey.

Like always, we will need to deal with Ashwin and Jadeja who win India 99% of their tests on home soil.

TBH, they have much more to be scared about from Australia than the other way around at the moment.

Arguably 3 of the top 5 batsman in the world at the moment (Khawaja, Labuschagne and Smith) with Head gathering momentum. Warner, Carey and Green are pretty handy 5th, 6th and 7th ranked bastman for a test side....

Smith returning to his best and he slayed them on the last tour. Genuinely one of the best batman in history away from home.

Head averaging 51 @ 80 SR in the last 15 months and turning into a destructive test #5 that's winning continual MOTS.

Probably the best Australian bowling battery to enter India since 04/05 with an off spinner with 400+ test wickets that took 20 wickets at 23 last tour out.
Australia touring with a genuine all-rounder, not a makeshift one.

Australia probably has the better batting lineup at the moment.

It's never easy over there, but I'm sure Indian management will recognize this is the biggest test they will face to their immaculate home record in a LONG time.

I'm not expecting to win the series, but we have nothing to fear, India has everything to lose and we couldn't really have a better shot at it at the minute.

If Australia can win a few tosses, look out.......

Last edited:
There's nothing to be scared about.

Gill is averaging 32 in test cricket

Kohli is averaging 25 in test cricket in his last 20 tests (i.e 2 years)

Pant has arguably been their best player and he's not playing. Saha is probably a worse bat than Carey.

Like always, we will need to deal with Ashwin and Jadeja who win India 99% of their tests on home soil.

TBH, they have much more to be scared about from Australia than the other way around at the moment.

Arguably 3 of the top 5 batsman in the world at the moment (Khawaja, Labuschagne and Smith) with Head gathering momentum. Warner, Carey and Green are pretty handy 5th, 6th and 7th ranked bastman for a test side....

Smith returning to his best and he slayed them on the last tour. Genuinely one of the best batman in history away from home.

Head averaging 51 @ 80 SR in the last 15 months and turning into a destructive test #5 that's winning continual MOTS.

Probably the best Australian bowling battery to enter India since 04/05 with an off spinner with 400+ test wickets that took 20 wickets at 23 last tour out.
Australia touring with a genuine all-rounder, not a makeshift one.

Australia probably has the better batting lineup at the moment.

It's never easy over there, but I'm sure Indian management will recognize this is the biggest test they will face to their immaculate home record in a LONG time.

I'm not expecting to win the series, but we have nothing to fear, India has everything to lose and we couldn't really have a better shot at it at the minute.

If Australia can win a few tosses.......
lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you disagree with?

Australia is the #1 ranked test side in the world at the moment and probably has it's best all round side in 15+ years.

There's genuine current and future all time greats littered in it (Smith, Labuschagne, Cummins, Lyon.....)

As I said, India has more to be worried about than Aus, Australia isn't expected to win this series and this is probably the best side to tour India since the England and South African sides (10-15 years ago)

India have only lost 2 tests at home in the last 10 years and one of them was against Australia and Nathan Lyon/SOK running amok 5 years ago.

This side is a shitload stronger than that one, the batting lineup isn't even comparable and that side came very close to drawing that series, India were saved by the toss/pitch in Bangalore as Aus outplayed them for most of that match and got skittled needing 150 by Ashwin turning it square on a minefield on day 4.

Renshaw, Warner, Smith, S.Marsh, Handscombe M.Marsh and Wade was that batting lineup...... 2 players who averaged over 35.

Australia will be coming to India with two players who average 60 and another 3 who average 45+. Australia's aggregate averages of their top 7 would be one of the strongest ever to tour.

Last edited:
What do you disagree with?

Australia is the #1 ranked test side in the world at the moment and probably has it's best all round side in 15+ years.

As I said, India has more to worried about than Aus, Australia isn't expected to win this series.
You really think that Australia have everything in order to beat India in India? The last time anyone beat India in India in a Test series was England 10 years ago.

Australia are struggling to find enough spin bowlers to compete against the likes of Ashwin, Jadeja and Axar. You can even add someone like Kuldeep to the list if he gets selected. Yes you have Lyon, but none of the other spinners in Australia have enough international Test experience, let alone experience in India. Zampa is probably the next best option with experience in conditions and he is not going to get a look at. Even if you do bring in Swepson or Kuhnman, they don't have the skills or experience for India and the turning wicket. If the SCG Test was the preview for the India series, spin only took 3 of the 12 wickets, that too, one wicket by the part timer in Head. Lyon didn't take a wicket.

You will stick with the same three quick bowlers (starc, cummins, haze) because that's what Australia do. They rarely change that. They are going to tire out quickly in India, I guarantee. You need to rotate and rest your bowlers.

Usman has always struggled to play spin, that's why he could never hold a spot in an IPL franchise. And that's one of the reasons that he was in and out of the side in his early days.

Marnus and Smith will do well this series. And I am not 100% sure on Head and Carey. Whether Green is ready, I have no clue.

You are comparing India to South Africa, a mediocre bowling attack with an inexperienced batting line up that need to all be at their 110% to even make 350-400 runs. India is not South Africa

Rohit might be your easiest targeting, but we have plenty of stock to replace him. I don't see Australia as having an adequate second string side once Warner goes out cheaply again. The lack of depth in the Australian side astounds me, whereas a team like England can also play a second string side and still be competitive.

Shubman Gill guarantees you at least 100 runs every game. If I was a betting man, I would put something on Shubman to score a 50 in every Test of the series. Him and Pujara are better at tiring out a bowling attack than Marnus and Smith. Pujara has done it some many times; yes he doesn't score as quickly but expect your bowlers to be out there churning away as he blocks every ball and takes his time.

I think you underestimate how good Ashwin and Jadeja are, add Axar and Kuldeep to that as possible replacements, Australia will struggle to compete against this. You state that Marnus, Smith and Head are the best batters in the world a the moment, Bumrah and Ashwin are ranked 3 and 4 for Test bowlers. And Jadeja and Ashwin are ranked 1 and 2 as allrounders. That too, considering Jadeja hasn't played cricket since August and a Test since July.

I think you need to realize that these four Tests are being played in India, not Australia. Where the conditions are total different and more suited to India. Australia are comfortable at home, and if this series was in Australia there would be some creditability to your statements.

You really think that Australia have everything in order to beat India in India? The last time anyone beat India in India in a Test series was England 10 years ago.

Australia are struggling to find enough spin bowlers to compete against the likes of Ashwin, Jadeja and Axar. You can even add someone like Kuldeep to the list if he gets selected. Yes you have Lyon, but none of the other spinners in Australia have enough international Test experience, let alone experience in India. Zampa is probably the next best option with experience in conditions and he is not going to get a look at. Even if you do bring in Swepson or Kuhnman, they don't have the skills or experience for India and the turning wicket. If the SCG Test was the preview for the India series, spin only took 3 of the 12 wickets, that too, one wicket by the part timer in Head. Lyon didn't take a wicket.

You will stick with the same three quick bowlers (starc, cummins, haze) because that's what Australia do. They rarely change that. They are going to tire out quickly in India, I guarantee. You need to rotate and rest your bowlers.

Usman has always struggled to play spin, that's why he could never hold a spot in an IPL franchise. And that's one of the reasons that he was in and out of the side in his early days.

Marnus and Smith will do well this series. And I am not 100% sure on Head and Carey. Whether Green is ready, I have no clue.

You are comparing India to South Africa, a mediocre bowling attack with an inexperienced batting line up that need to all be at their 110% to even make 350-400 runs. India is not South Africa

Rohit might be your easiest targeting, but we have plenty of stock to replace him. I don't see Australia as having an adequate second string side once Warner goes out cheaply again. The lack of depth in the Australian side astounds me, whereas a team like England can also play a second string side and still be competitive.

Shubman Gill guarantees you at least 100 runs every game. If I was a betting man, I would put something on Shubman to score a 50 in every Test of the series. Him and Pujara are better at tiring out a bowling attack than Marnus and Smith. Pujara has done it some many times; yes he doesn't score as quickly but expect your bowlers to be out there churning away as he blocks every ball and takes his time.

I think you underestimate how good Ashwin and Jadeja are, add Axar and Kuldeep to that as possible replacements, Australia will struggle to compete against this. You state that Marnus, Smith and Head are the best batters in the world a the moment, Bumrah and Ashwin are ranked 3 and 4 for Test bowlers. And Jadeja and Ashwin are ranked 1 and 2 as allrounders. That too, considering Jadeja hasn't played cricket since August and a Test since July.

I think you need to realize that these four Tests are being played in India, not Australia. Where the conditions are total different and more suited to India. Australia are comfortable at home, and if this series was in Australia there would be some creditability to your statements.
Certainly won’t be Starc for the 1st Test, probably not the 2nd. He may even miss the tour.

India’s batting is vulnerable without Pant. Agree the spinners will win them the series however I wouldn’t be surprised if Australia win a test.

I think I heard over the past few days that there is no lead in match for the Aussies, ie it will be straight into the first Test.

Does anyone know if that is correct?
You are right, they are due in India on the 4th from memory

1673249542651.png

Did I say that? I expect them to lose the series but you underestimate how good this side is statistically at the moment.

How many test sides have a 3 and 4 averaging 60? I’ll give you the tip, not many, in history.

Australia didn’t stick with the same 3 fast bowlers last tour and I don’t expect them to do that this series, they played SOK who caused havoc.

2015 wants your opinion back on Khawaja. He’s been man of the series on away tours to the UAE and Pakistan and is probably the key wicket outside of Smith for India.

I’m not underestimating Ashwin and Jadeja, I literally said they win 99% of India’s tests for them at home and that’s probably their weakness. If the Australians can get on top of either one of them, especially if they can bat on a few day 1 pitches.

As I said, Australia absolutely creamed India in a test last tour and were a doctored pitch and a toss away from a drawn series. This side is immeasurably stronger and I’m not sure the Indian one is better than the 2017 version.

India will win the series but Australia will definately win a test if they can win a few tosses.

Right now I’d lean towards not playing two spinners, even if Green is fit. We’ve won once in India in about 50 years and that was won by 3 quality quicks and one specialist spinner (admittedly Warne). It was the quicks that did most of the damage.

Sharing the workload between the 3 quicks and Green would allow shorter spells. Lyon will bowl plenty and our 3 part timers are all handy enough, and if they are turning sideways all are capable of doing real damage. I don’t see any need to force another spinner in if they’re not up to it.
Think this is an option if it's not a really obvious spinners wicket to play to back in our strength... but there are likely to be pitches where it will be pointless playing 3 quicks & Green.

We should be looking to rotate bowlers through the series.

Is it true we have NO warm up games before the tests against India? If true then just hand them the trophy now, what a disgrace.
Yeah confirmed above

Lyon, Murphy, Swepson, and Kuhnemann, would all be better choices than Agar.

Hell, I'd rather pick a Maxwell or Rocchicioli over Agar.
My gut feeling is Maxwell,s test cricket days are over.Perhaps will not see him on a cricket field to next summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back