Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 18 vs. Port Adelaide - Gabba, Mon 21/09 @ 7:15pm AEST

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
But he was never "slow". Unless of course you're talking about reaction times or making decisions, but even then it's a tough case to make IMHO.

Maybe it was more his endurance than speed, but he didn’t get to contests quickly enough for my liking in his early days. Always half a pace off.

I don’t think there is any doubt that he has improved physically over the preseason. If he hadn’t pulled his finger out he would still be that 5-6 game a year proposition.

Skill was never the issue, whether he could compete physically was given he is relatively small.

Last edited:

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
I think Phillips injury is worse than first thought and he wont be ready for the first final.
Whilst next year I think hell be back to good form, this year its not much of a loss since hes been poor.

In terms of how many changes we have left to make for the first final, I would say that, whilst Mayne lacks any form of offensive game, his experience and defensive game plus a big body should see him replace Varcoe. Whilst Tyler Brown has been good, I think Sier should come in for him. Another option, if Bucks didnt pick Sier which is a possibility since he seems to dislike him, would be to swap Mayne for Brown and bring Scharenberg in for Varcoe.
If we have to play WCE we will probably get belted, however having someone like Schaz to play on a Waterman type would be very beneficial. Eagles talls always expose our backline and with Langdon and Howe still out, Roughead and Moore cant be expected to play on Allen, Darling, Kennedy and Waterman.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Phillips injury is worse than first thought and he wont be ready for the first final.
Whilst next year I think hell be back to good form, this year its not much of a loss since hes been poor.

In terms of how many changes we have left to make for the first final, I would say that, whilst Mayne lacks any form of offensive game, his experience and defensive game plus a big body should see him replace Varcoe. Whilst Tyler Brown has been good, I think Sier should come in for him. Another option, if Bucks didnt pick Sier which is a possibility since he seems to dislike him, would be to swap Mayne for Brown and bring Scharenberg in for Varcoe.
If we have to play WCE we will probably get belted, however having someone like Schaz to play on a Waterman type would be very beneficial. Eagles talls always expose our backline and with Langdon and Howe still out, Roughead and Moore cant be expected to play on Allen, Darling, Kennedy and Waterman.

We wont be making wholesale changes for the finals. We will back our structures.

That said, Mayne will walks straight back into the team at the expense of probably Varcoe. I'd still be hoping Sier gets a run, but his chances are slipping, now that he hasnt made it back for the home and away.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Allen 192cm, Waterman 191cm. We've already got Madgen 192cm, Crisp 191cm and Maynard 189cm. I think we've got them covered.

Allen 192cm, Waterman 191cm. We've already got Madgen 192cm, Crisp 191cm and Maynard 189cm. I think we've got them covered.
And Darling is around 192cm also I believe. About Mihocek size.
Correction, he is 191cm.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
And Darling is around 192cm also I believe. About Mihocek size.
Correction, he is 191cm.

Yep, he's a lot stronger now than he was back then but it's why Tooves was such a good matchup for him. I'd actually like to see Roughy take Kennedy and Madge take Darling, free Moore up as the loose interceptor a bit more, although I am starting to worry about Moore's field kicking which has been off this year.

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
Do we really want to sacrifice our best rebounder Crisp to play on a medium tall who will outmark him.
Madgen has been good so id back him in to play on Allen, although he is actually 194cm and is really good overhead.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do we really want to sacrifice our best rebounder Crisp to play on a medium tall who will outmark him.
Madgen has been good so id back him in to play on Allen, although he is actually 194cm and is really good overhead.

Happy with Crispys ability overhead and in contested situations. He doesn’t lose too many. Also satisfied the broader rebound of Moore, IQ, Noble and Maynard can offset whatever we lose from Crispy. Also don’t think a role like minding Allen will stop Crispy from taking a run.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Happy with Crispys ability overhead and in contested situations. He doesn’t lose too many. Also satisfied the broader rebound of Moore, IQ, Noble and Maynard can offset whatever we lose from Crispy. Also don’t think a role like minding Allen will stop Crispy from taking a run.
Really? I've lost count of how many overhead uncontested marks he seems to bobble recently. Might be a product of Brisbane though, so could be completely irrelevant come next week

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really? I've lost count of how many overhead uncontested marks he seems to bobble recently. Might be a product of Brisbane though, so could be completely irrelevant come next week

Teams training with footy’s dipped in water and baby oil for a very good reason.

Back