Preview Changes/Preview – Round 10 vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resting some older vets such as Gawn, May and Viney should be considered. Billings should definitely be in the gun considering his form. Woewodin deserves a crack at a full game. Petracca should play permanent forward and we should have a real look at guys like ANB, Rivers, Pickett, Chandler around the ball.

Therefore -
In: Salem and BBB
Out: JVR and Woewodin
Billings to sub.
Have we ever rested Vets? Honestly don’t recall. Geelong tend to, but they routinely field a line-up with a combined age in the tens of thousands.

But we are in the position of some of our most needed players being elderly types, so I wouldn’t mind seeing this.

JVR out with concussion. Does that mean we will pick Fullarton or maybe Verrall? I’m guessing Fullarton would get the nod. Although Verrall has impressed.
Fullarton isn't good at anything though. He's a shitter Schache.

Worst part is when the games on our terms, we and the oppo look s**t and the game looks s**t and no one scores. Then late in the games when fatigue or scoreboard dictates that it opens up we always look all right which is anti what we train to be
Is there any team being held back more by their senior coach than ours?

Last edited:
Worst part is when the games on our terms, we and the oppo look s**t and the game looks s**t and no one scores. Then late in the games when fatigue or scoreboard dictates that it opens up we always look all right which anti what we train be
Is there any team being held back more by their senior coach than ours?

I’ll never understand why we are scared to back in the best D50 in the league and attack from the back half.

I’ll never understand why we are scared to back in the best D50 in the league and attack from the back half.
It's half pregnancy, all we've done is trade one form of defence ( multiple entries and field control) with controlled movement between the arcs and more numbers behind the ball.

Nothing surprises though, saw that since 2019 Trac is the most dangerous inside 50 player in the comp when being measured by retention. So if the balls kicked to him in the air or the ground he wins it more than any other player in the comp

Goody- let's play him in the midfield.

It's half pregnancy, all we've done is trade one form of defence ( multiple entries and field control) with controlled movement between the arcs and more numbers behind the ball.

Nothing surprises though, saw that since 2019 Trac is the most dangerous inside 50 player in the comp when being measured by retention. So if the balls kicked to him in the air or the ground he wins it more than any other player in the comp

Goody- let's play him in the midfield.

Yeah I mean I say a lot of dumb s**t on here but I’ve been calling for him forward more for years. Remember last year we did it, he was BOG against Saints and Lions then we scaled back his forward time drastically?

Like WTF Goody, with Trac up forward against Carlton it got guys like ANB and even hecking Sparrow into the game. Put Rivers through there too and Kozzy and suddenly we are unpredictable again.

Yeah I mean I say a lot of dumb s**t on here but I’ve been calling for him forward more for years. Remember last year we did it, he was BOG against Saints and Lions then we scaled back his forward time drastically?

Like WTF Goody, with Trac up forward against Carlton it got guys like ANB and even hecking Sparrow into the game. Put Rivers through there too and Kozzy and suddenly we are unpredictable again.
Every other good team in the comp feel like they roll out a new mid each season who fits into the side and improves the mid. Freo with Young etc
We have had the same midfield for 5 years with the exception of Brayshaw for a half a season twice even though he was better in defence and Salem for 2 games.

It's because Goody's style has always been back half turnover averse, just ask Frost and Hunt.

For reference though, we're 8th in the comp for scoring from the defensive half. That's pretty decent given our low scoring style (We're 10th for points scored). We're 5th for score from back half differential. It's nowhere near as dramatic as the usual suspects are trying to make it out to be. Think we've also been impacted by Bowey and Salem both being out as they're often our 'designated kickers' and Rivers kicking has been a bit hot and cold.

We've really dropped off for scoring from turnovers and stoppages, that's the biggest impact. Our pressure is still up there around the ground, but our pressure inside 50 has nosedived, that's where the heat should be IMO. Forward pressure to score from turnovers is where we've dropped off, that's what the actual numbers say.

It's because Goody's style has always been back half turnover averse, just ask Frost and Hunt.

For reference though, we're 8th in the comp for scoring from the defensive half. That's pretty decent given our low scoring style (We're 10th for points scored). We're 5th for score from back half differential. It's nowhere near as dramatic as the usual suspects are trying to make it out to be. Think we've also been impacted by Bowey and Salem both being out as they're often our 'designated kickers' and Rivers kicking has been a bit hot and cold.

We've really dropped off for scoring from turnovers and stoppages, that's the biggest impact. Our pressure is still up there around the ground, but our pressure inside 50 has nosedived, that's where the heat should be IMO. Forward pressure to score from turnovers is where we've dropped off, that's what the actual numbers say.

Where do you get the numbers our forward pressure has dropped off? The only stat I can find is F50 tackles which at least in the last two weeks we’ve been good in.

Still early so shouldn't read too much into averages yet, but.... the Goody goal of us scoring one more goal a game more than last year looks like its actually going the other way, we are trying to give up one less goal instead #exciting

2023: PF: 90 PA: 71
2024: PF: 81 PA: 67

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still early so shouldn't read too much into averages yet, but.... the Goody goal of us scoring one more goal a game more than last year looks like its actually going the other way, we are trying to give up one less goal instead #exciting

We are a very average team this year going off the numbers. I don’t have access to the mega advanced stuff but in terms of stoppages, contested ball etc we are middle of the pack at best.

HOOK IT TO MY VEINS

Where do you get the numbers our forward pressure has dropped off? The only stat I can find is F50 tackles which at least in the last two weeks we’ve been good in.
I reckon that stat would be bullshit anyway. Bet we artificially increased our forward pressure by belting it in long and having 36 players in our forward 50. Impossible not to lay a stack of tackles.

More space forward now = less pressure forward. Don't think that's some crazy red herring.

I reckon that stat would be bullshit anyway. Bet we artificially increased our forward pressure by belting it in long and having 36 players in our forward 50. Impossible not to lay a stack of tackles.

More space forward now = less pressure forward. Don't think that's some crazy red herring.

I agree there’s less pressure from us forward (Can’t imagine why…) was just curious as to where Nev was getting the numbers.

I'm going by general pressure stats and then comparing it to our 2023 v 2024 inside 50 tackles.

We were 2nd for tackles inside 50 last year, 3rd for differential.
This year we're 11th for tackles inside 50, 9th for differential.

For pressure acts we're 3rd for average and 1st for differential.

We're down on inside 50 tackles per inside 50, but only by a little, but we've also gone down for mark inside 50 rate, so there's more inside 50 ground balls this year.

I agree there’s less pressure from us forward (Can’t imagine why…) was just curious as to where Nev was getting the numbers.
I remember a stat think it was listening to Sen when Kane said collingwood forward pressure was down in the first half compared to the other team because it was like 5 forward 50 tackles to 15 or something
Then bucks was like, yeah well they scored either a goal or point from 80% of their entries so why would they need to be tackling?

Thought it was quite funny. It's true if you hit your forwards on the lead more often than not you don't need forward pressure

No to Brown, no to Fullarton, no to Verrall, no to Schache. No to key forwards for the sake of key forwards.

Perfect opportunity to go smaller and play Trac deep forward – West Coast's rucks are Bailey Williams and some other Williams bloke who's 198cm and averages three hitouts per game. One of Turner or Petty can manage a few ruck contests.

No to Brown, no to Fullarton, no to Verrall, no to Schache. No to key forwards for the sake of key forwards.

Perfect opportunity to go smaller and play Trac deep forward – West Coast's rucks are Bailey Williams and some other Williams bloke who's 198cm and averages three hitouts per game. One of Turner or Petty can manage.

I mean I’d only play Fullarton to manage Max, I reckon we could drop Turner tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back