Preview Changes/Preview – Round 13 v Collingwood (Big Freeze 9)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the way. Lever was a goddam liability against Freo, and while Tommo got touched up by McKay, Lever was miles more effective when he could play as 3rd tall.

Tommo must stay until Petty's back.

Similarly Smith played his role defensively. Roo was three times the player last night without another tall forward to compete against. Let him and Gawn/Grundy bring the ball to ground and Fritsch/Pickett/Spargo/ANB do their work.
Fair point. I just worry about him being flat footed. I wonder whether Disco is an option against their forward line. Just a shame he was so bad vs GC.

OUT: Bowey (inj), Harmes (susp/omit)

IN: Oliver, Woewodin

With Chandler to sub.

Goody and the team have pretty much made their intentions clear in regard to Jordon (I feel bad for the bloke).

Better off getting a full game out of Woey. I hope Howes gets a run soon too. He's very consistent in the twos and we need more outside run and carry, cause the usuals in Langdon and co clearly aren't cutting the mustard.

Fair point. I just worry about him being flat footed. I wonder whether Disco is an option against their forward line. Just a shame he was so bad vs GC.

I wish we had a more mobile option than Tommo, but he's wearing #29 and playing up forward.

I'm an outlier on this board in that I don't rate Turner. He was badly outclassed on QB last year (ran past his opponent regularly trying to intercept, leaving us with 2-on-1s) and even worse against the Suns a few weeks back.

I'm a bit worried about our tall stocks. With May/Tomlinson/TMac/BBB all ageing, we need at least two more KPDs, and all our KPF eggs are in the Jefferson/Roo basket right now.

Goody and the team have pretty much made their intentions clear in regard to Jordon (I feel bad for the bloke).
I'm a real Jordon fan, but Brayshaw's got his spot and is unlikely to give it up. JJ almost never makes a bad decision, but he lacks pace and isn't a penetrating kick. Among other players JJ could replace, Sparrow is better inside and a better kick, Viney is an animal and much quicker, and Langdon/Hunter never get injured.

Many years ago we got ****ed by a bloke called Dick on QB and now we have to contend with Johnson and Cox up forward...

Agree with a few who have suggested Hibberd and Oliver in, Bowey and Harmes out with Chandler to the sub. Chandler actually did well but he's regressed to a 2022 version of himself in front of goals lately.

Was at the West Coast v. Collingwood match earlier (strangely enough the same margin as when we played West Coast), the scoreboard really flattered the Pies and the only indicators that suggested anything like that difference between the sides were marks inside 50 and efficiency inside 50. West Coast played with 2 on the bench from quarter time onwards and were totally gassed having been 7 goals down and managing to get it back to 14 points at one stage.

The Pies are a different prospect on the G though. And our recent records against them aint good - the only team we couldn't beat in 2021 and gave up 20+ point leads to them both times we played last year. Feel like the same thing will happen again on the 12th.

Pies have been a bit flat over the last month I feel. So who knows what will happen.

Tomlinson will need to go out unless McStay comes in. It just allows May/Lever more flexibility (May could take Mihocek for instance) I thought he had a fine game and is a good match up for the big stay at home forward. There really is only so much you can do as a defender sometimes.

Someone mentioned Brayshaw back to cover for Bowey which I think is excellent. A bit disappointed Bowey is out as he was building towards a a rather special game I thought.

As Tomlinson and Browns speed are negatives then Smiths speed is a major plus. I thought he did great and deserved a goal he could be a big part of keeping that ball trapped in the forward 50.

Just need to bring a midfielder in which could be Oliver if he is right. I would rather they don't rush him back as it is the back end of the season the team will really need him and for them to ramp up for the GF win.

In: Oliver Hibberd Brown
Out: Bowey Harmes J.Smith

Brown may be hit or miss but no-one will ever convince me J.Smith is capable at this level. Someone above concedes he “doesn’t kick bags of goals”. Slight understatement - bloke has kick 1 career goal across five seasons.

Load up with BB and JVR against Pies, get the little fellas around them and let’s have a genuine crack. Put J.Smith where he belongs - Cranbourne.

In: Oliver Hibberd Brown
Out: Bowey Harmes J.Smith

Brown may be hit or miss but no-one will ever convince me J.Smith is capable at this level. Someone above concedes he “doesn’t kick bags of goals”. Slight understatement - bloke has kick 1 career goal across five seasons.

Load up with BB and JVR against Pies, get the little fellas around them and let’s have a genuine crack. Put J.Smith where he belongs - Cranbourne.

Been watching the Casey games this year and again yesterday and Brown is miles and miles off being fit to play. His goal numbers flatter him tbh - His 2 goals yesterday were from an amazing kick inside 50 and a free kick that wasn't even his. He can barely muster a jog and his kicking has lost a few metres. Would be a disaster if he was selected at the moment.

If a tall forward was going to be brought in it would be Schache whose form is 10x what Brown's is. That being said, I'm worried we're going to be too tall up forward against a good intercepting team whose game plan is to attack on the rebound. Gotta have leg speed and pressure in our 50 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching the Casey games this year and again yesterday and Brown is miles and miles off being fit to play. His goal numbers flatter him tbh - His 2 goals yesterday were from an amazing kick inside 50 and a free kick that wasn't even his. He can barely muster a jog and his kicking has lost a few metres. Would be a disaster if he was selected at the moment.

If a tall forward was going to be brought in it would be Schache whose form is 10x what Brown's is. That being said, I'm worried we're going to be too tall up forward against a good intercepting team whose game plan is to attack on the rebound. Gotta have leg speed and pressure in our 50 IMO.

Goals > leg speed for the sake of leg speed. Smith looks fabulous running across the grass but this isn’t the Olympics, it’s football.

Don’t mind your idea of giving Schache a run though. One or the other. Personally I’d play Brown.

Goals > leg speed for the sake of leg speed. Smith looks fabulous running across the grass but this isn’t the Olympics, it’s football.

Don’t mind your idea of giving Schache a run though. One or the other. Personally I’d play Brown.

Smith offers much more in the contest and defensively. Browns goals aren’t really relevant when we’ve already got a good spread of goalkickers.

Smith offers much more in the contest and defensively. Browns goals aren’t really relevant when we’ve already got a good spread of goalkickers.

Not in recent weeks. Last three rounds 76, 72 and 61 points. Even 103 against Hawthorn four rounds ago looks ordinary given other top sides have pummelled them.

Too risky to think this form line is going to cut it against Pies.

Smith is not AFL standard. Hail Mary type selection when cupboard is bare, which it isn’t.

Mate, I'm not saying Smith is quicker than Brown, what I'm saying is Brown can barely jog at the moment, he's absolutely cooked. I've watched him not make the distance on shots from 35 out as well. Have you been watching the games? If you can barely jog you can't play AFL footy, let alone in a team where pressure is key to the game style.

Not in recent weeks. Last three rounds 76, 72 and 61 points. Even 103 against Hawthorn four rounds ago looks ordinary given other top sides have pummelled them.

Too risky to think this form line is going to cut it against Pies.

Smith is not AFL standard. Hail Mary type selection when cupboard is bare, which it isn’t.
Bringing in a bloke who offers absolutely nothing outside drawing free kicks and is a liability defensively as well as allowing his opponent to mark the footy would be so so stupid. Let's bring back Melksham too

Mate, I'm not saying Smith is quicker than Brown, what I'm saying is Brown can barely jog at the moment, he's absolutely cooked. I've watched him not make the distance on shots from 35 out as well. Have you been watching the games? If you can barely jog you can't play AFL footy, let alone in a team where pressure is key to the game style.

‘Barely jog’ is a tad dramatic don’t you think? He’s a key forward. Lead, mark, kick goals, bring ball to ground. It’s not his playing style to sprint to repeat contests and apply tackling pressure. Not his role.

‘Barely jog’ is a tad dramatic don’t you think? He’s a key forward. Lead, mark, kick goals, bring ball to ground. It’s not his playing style to sprint to repeat contests and apply tackling pressure. Not his role.

Mate we play two rucks with them both on the ground a lot of the time, we can't afford to have anyone else not pulling their weight defensively.

Have you actually watched him play in the last month? I don't think you have, because I think you would understand otherwise.

Bringing in a bloke who offers absolutely nothing outside drawing free kicks and is a liability defensively as well as allowing his opponent to mark the footy would be so so stupid. Let's bring back Melksham too

Nothing wrong with drawing free kicks, putting doubt in defender’s minds.

Give me a forward who is a liability defensively over a ‘forward’ who is a liability in anttack every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Especially if that ‘defensive forward’ is Joel Smith who is cra.p

You've answered your own question. If he can't do those things he offers very little to our side.

Have you actually watched him play in the last month? I don't think you have, because I think you would understand otherwise.
Nup. But he’s lacing ‘em up and has been kicking multiple goals. That’s good enough for me from a guy who’s kicked 100’s at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back