Preview Changes/Preview - Round 6 ANZAC Day Eve v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Trash game. Spargo misses with concussion; hopefully Laurie puts a strong show in for Casey tomorrow and takes his spot. Tomo should miss for shitness, hopefully Lever is back. Petty spared by an improved second half, but still a meek performance.

Bowey very poor. Hibberd hopefully right to come back, or maybe Howes gets a look?

Grundy looked cooked against the dual ruck setup, but Richmond are weaker in the ruck than the Dons. Don't want to rush Max but Grundy showing his lack of fitness. TMc out.

Please dear god let Lever be right.

Wholesale changes and a big message needed here. Established players need to understand that fronting up 2 out of 3 weeks isn't ******* enough. 2021 was awesome, we reacted so well to adversity where other teams didn't, but the elephant in the room is now whether we actually know how to perform across the course of a standard, uninterrupted, no-excuses season. Safe to say that I've lost a lot of faith in our new game plan. This on top of Brisbane tells me that we're not serious about going all the way at this point.

Our worst defensive game in many many years. Would like to drop them all, but that's not practical. Petty found some form late, which saves him. May has had the worst game of his career. A dirty day for everyone, but Bowey and Sparrow deserve special mention for being utterly useless all year, their strengths seem to be going under the radar.

Out: Tomlinson, Bowey, McDonald, Spargo (inj.), Sparrow

In: Lever, Hibberd, Laurie, Gawn, Jordon

Lucky: Brayshaw, Petty, Chandler

Wholesale changes and a big message needed here. Established players need to understand that fronting up 2 out of 3 weeks isn't ******* enough. 2021 was awesome, we reacted so well to adversity where other teams didn't, but the elephant in the room is now whether we actually know how to perform across the course of a standard, uninterrupted, no-excuses season. Safe to say that I've lost a lot of faith in our new game plan. This on top of Brisbane tells me that we're not serious about going all the way at this point.

Our worst defensive game in many many years. Would like to drop them all, but that's not practical. Petty found some form late, which saves him. May has had the worst game of his career. A dirty day for everyone, but Bowey and Sparrow deserve special mention for being utterly useless all year, their strengths seem to be going under the radar.

Out: Tomlinson, Bowey, McDonald, Spargo (inj.), Sparrow

In: Lever, Hibberd, Laurie, Gawn, Jordon

Lucky: Brayshaw, Petty, Chandler
Mostly agree with those changes, but Melksham shouldn't be playing a full game either. Sub at best

Mostly agree with those changes, but Melksham shouldn't be playing a full game either. Sub at best
I'd love to kick Melksham out as well, did his usual thing of playing 5 good minutes and then embarrassing the team for the other 2 hours. That scrub kick after the JVR goal was a sliding doors moment, and his left footed snap from 45 says so much about his attitude. Just not sure who else can viably come in.

I'd love to kick Melksham out as well, did his usual thing of playing 5 good minutes and then embarrassing the team for the other 2 hours. That scrub kick after the JVR goal was a sliding doors moment, and his left footed snap from 45 says so much about his attitude. Just not sure who else can viably come in.
Give Howes a go, why not.

Visceral reactions:
Steven - May want to think about not playing s**t

JVR - it might just be time to PEG THE SEXTENT or PARK THE FORD

Salem - couldn’t have gone missing more since 2021. Deesappointing.

Petracca - I understand that the greats are always innovative but I’m not sure that shooting for goals with your shins is going to work.

Gumby - I didn’t like this crossover where he was DESTROYED BY JOE DIRT and TALL POKEY.

Lever - was really poor again. Clearly returning to Adelaide Oval gets inside his head.

Spargo - was a bad boy. If he pees in the handbag like that again he will need his nose rubbed in it.

Brayshaw - I’m all for cultural sensitivity but he really needs to stop covering his eyes with his helmet.

Gawn - when will the SKIPPER STAND UP? He’s lucky that Will Ferrell hasn’t recovered from his broken penis yet.

Hunter - Jayden needs to stop wearing long sleeves and changing his surname. It’s distracting from his OUTSIDE SPEED AND CLASS.

Oliver - I know he is self conscious about his bald spot but that is no reason to HIDE FOR A QUARTER!

Clangdon - needs a hair grow.

Bowey - Mamma Mia HERE WE GO AGAIN

Milkshake - was a BAD CHOICE

Tomlinson - is a Chinese spy

Jim Jones - there’s NO SUBSTITUTE for Kool Aid

Rivers - I think that DYSON HEPPELL might challenge him for the RISING 💫

McDonald - I know that he tries hard and that Oscar is incredibly popular with the playing group but I think his comeback is now over

ANB - I think that HIDING BEHIND the GOALPOSTS didn’t work

Fritsch - I know that life can be hard as a Cassowary but we didn’t help him today

Swallow - I think he might’ve been emotional about his former club’s loss last night.

Petty - our most consistent performer in 2023

Chaminda - a quiet game from the CRICKET CONVERT 🇱🇰

Judd - sometimes greatness is knowing when to hang them up, champ.

McVee - identity crisis confirmed 👀

Brown - wet conditions should’ve suited our best crumber, a terrible performance.

Out: Steven, JVR, Salem, Petracca, Gumby, Viney, Lever, Spargo, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver, Clangdon, Bowey, Milkshake, Tomlinson, McDonald, ANB, Swallow, Petty, Judd, McVee, Brown

In: Casey

Pre-VFL thoughts...

OUT: Tomlinson, TMac, Spargo, Melksham
IN: Lever, Brown, Laurie, Howes

Pre-VFL thoughts...

I’d have the same outs, and the same ins except I’m expecting Gawn to come in instead of Howes.

That would restore the three tall forwards setup but Gawn/Grundy being one of those tall forwards.

They only ran with TMac and JvR today as a two tall forwards setup with the swap of Brown for Melksham.

If Gawn isn’t ready I think TMac will get another shot. But I’d rather move Petty forward again and bring in D.Turner if he’s half decent in the VFL.

Against Sydney the side would’ve looked something like:
B: Hibberd - May - Brayshaw
HB: McVee - Lever - Rivers
C: Langdon - Viney - Hunter
HF: ANB - Petty - Spargo
F: Chandler - JVR - Fritsch
R: Grundy - Oliver - Petracca
I: Bowey - Jordon - Sparrow - Brown/Melksham

This week’s shame would’ve been:
B: Tomlinson - May - Brayshaw
HB: McVee - Petty - Rivers
C: Langdon - Viney - Hunter
HF: ANB - JVR - Spargo
F: Pickett - McDonald - Fritsch
R: Grundy - Oliver - Petracca
I: Bowey - Melksham - Sparrow - Chandler
Sub: Jordon

So ideally we get Lever, Gawn and Hibberd back. Jordon should play.
Spargo goes out with concussion and Tomlinson, McDonald and Melksham = 🚮

But I think we all know that the change will be out Spargo, in Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changes don't even matter, whole team was dog s**t flipping a couple of nobodies around for nobodies won't matter.

In saying that
Get Melk out and Tmac out. Don't bring in brown. Just get anyway who competes and puts on pressure. Tomlinson copped a predictable smashing from Tulip but none of our defenders beat their opponents. None of them helped each other. Had they played Turner or someone people would have thought it was worse than Petty's debut because the whole side was dysfunctional

He shouldn't even be a consideration for this.

He's milked his way into the team off the back of zero practise games during the summer and no Casey form at all.

If the whole romanticism of giving him games purely to get him to 100 games for the Dees, then coaching staff should all be sacked.

Integrity of selection is important for a club culture and when there's a bloke in the team who's getting a free ride because he's best mates with the coach then how do guys like Laurie, Howes, Jordon and even Dunstan feel when they're busting their backsides off for zero to no reward over this bloke.

Last edited:
We will beat Richmond. They are trash, and we are an okay team.

Out: Spargo (inj), Tomlinson, Bowey/Brayshaw, Sparrow, TMac
In: Laurie, Lever/DTurner, Hibbo/Howes, Jordon, BBrown

Melky will deliver on the big stage. Far from our worst yday.

We will beat Richmond. They are trash, and we are an okay team.

Out: Spargo (inj), Tomlinson, Bowey/Brayshaw, Sparrow, TMac
In: Laurie, Lever/DTurner, Hibbo/Howes, Jordon, BBrown

Melky will deliver on the big stage. Far from our worst yday.

By deliver, I assume you mean one goal, one tackle, eight kicks?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dropping fringe players doesn't send a message unfortunately. I'd drop Grundy for a week. It will never happen given our investment and desire for 2 rucks but the tone he set as the sole ruck was pathetic. At one stage he just stood there and watched Phillips take an uncontested mark while standing about 1m away. That's a coaches nightmare. The jury is still out on him for me after that performance in my eyes. It undoes a lot of his good work the previous weeks and probably lost a bit of respect from his team-mates after having 5 goals kicked on him. I won't even touch on his decision making and handballing.

what I expect the outs to be:
Out: Spargo, Mcdonald, JVR, Tomlinson
In: Hibberd, Gawn, Brown, Lever

Pre-VFL thoughts...

There’s no way they bring in Howes and Laurie
Dropping fringe players doesn't send a message unfortunately. I'd drop Grundy for a week. It will never happen given our investment and desire for 2 rucks but the tone he set as the sole ruck was pathetic. At one stage he just stood there and watched Phillips take an uncontested mark while standing about 1m away. That's a coaches nightmare. The jury is still out on him for me after that performance in my eyes. It undoes a lot of his good work the previous weeks and probably lost a bit of respect from his team-mates after having 5 goals kicked on him. I won't even touch on his decision making and handballing.

what I expect the outs to be:
Out: Spargo, Mcdonald, JVR, Tomlinson
In: Hibberd, Gawn, Brown, Lever
Why in gods name would you drop Grundy!?!

What a thick comment

There’s no way they bring in Howes and Laurie
Why not? Laurie has already been selected this year, Howes was going to debut last year but got injured that week, so clearly both are in the frame.

Spargo will miss so Laurie seems a logical pick. Who would you pick to replace Spargo?

We got destroyed on points from turnover yesterday so they may look to change up the backline, Howes has been in ripper form so should he have a good one today he absolutely will be in the frame. He was even mentioned during the week by Goody as a player in the mix.

Why not? Laurie has already been selected this year, Howes was going to debut last year but got injured that week, so clearly both are in the frame.

Spargo will miss so Laurie seems a logical pick. Who would you pick to replace Spargo?

We got destroyed on points from turnover yesterday so they may look to change up the backline, Howes has been in ripper form so should he have a good one today he absolutely will be in the frame. He was even mentioned during the week by Goody as a player in the mix.
I meant it in the sense that Goodwin wouldn’t make those calls himself. As in, he’d probably just persist with his favourites.

I meant it in the sense that Goodwin wouldn’t make those calls himself. As in, he’d probably just persist with his favourites.
Why not just DOUBLE DOWN with BEN BROWN?
Think About It GIF by Identity

I don't disagree with your sentiments but Laurie has already been picked and Howes was picked previously but got injured. Both were mentioned by Goody during the week so I reckon both are a chance pending the game today.

Melksham will be the test of that this week I reckon. Kicked 2, but had a shocker IMO and did some selfish things. 0 tackles and 5 turnovers should see him dropped, over to you Goody...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back