News Changes to Next Generation Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Generation Academy Concessions

From 2021, Next Generation Academies (NGAs) - targeting Indigenous and multicultural players - will be overseen by the AFL Talent Pathway program with support from AFL Clubs. As part of this change, the AFL Commission determined that the concession model for NGAs be revised to reflect this.

The following changes to the NGA concession model ahead of the 2021 and 2022 NAB AFL Drafts will be as follows:

• From 2021, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 21 in the NAB AFL Draft. All other players selected from Pick 41 onwards can be matched by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
  • From 2022, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 41 onwards by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
This model allows for elite talent to be available to all AFL Clubs while still ensuring late prospects can find their way onto an AFL list and continue their relationship with the respective Club that has been supporting them.

A summary of changes can be found in the table below:

RoundCurrent20212022
1st Round (Pick 1 – 20)20% discountNo accessNo access
2nd Round (Pick 21 – 40)197 points197 pointsNo access
3rd Round (Pick 41 - 60)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
4th Round (Pick 61 +)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
Rookie ListAny undrafted playerAny undrafted playerAny undrafted player

Last edited:
That’s a tricky one, as we have Hodge’s eldest boy joining our academy next year.
In other words, your not the right person to ask on this matter?

Put it this way, if you went for neither Brisbane nor Hawthorn, what would your opinion be?

In other words, your not the right person to ask on this matter?

Put it this way, if you went for neither Brisbane nor Hawthorn, what would your opinion be?
I’ve said before that there should be no academies, no father sons, that the draft should not be compromised.

But I also believe there should be radical changes to make the competition truly National.

And that includes moving a Melbourne club to Sydney or Canberra so there are three teams in NSW.

Moving another club to Tasmania.

Moving one to either Ballarat or Aubrey.

And folding 4 of the other Vic clubs for a 16 team competition.

I’ve said before that there should be no academies, no father sons, that the draft should not be compromised.
As much as I like the father son as it adds some charm to the game where there is little anymore, that is the only thing would I keep. The rest of it compromises the draft where it shouldn't be compromised.

But I also believe there should be radical changes to make the competition truly National.

And that includes moving a Melbourne club to Sydney or Canberra so there are three teams in NSW.

Moving another club to Tasmania.

Moving one to either Ballarat or Aubrey.

And folding 4 of the other Vic clubs for a 16 team competition.
Whilst I agree with you, the reality is, is that it is not going to happen.

There should be a team in Tassie, agree with you there.

Don't think you can afford another team in NSW. WA and SA would get far greater support for a 3rd team each, though not if it was a relocated Melbourne team.

This is actually incorrect.

Lachlan Johnson nominated Brisbane to go as a father son, and we committed to drafting him in the rookie draft if he went undrafted in the National Draft.

He had done his acl, so we knew we could put him straight on to the long term injury list for the season, thus opening up an extra rookie pick.

We were tight for list spots and draft picks, and had no intention of drafting him in the National Draft, and we had committed to re-selecting 4 delisted senior players back on to our rookie list, and had no actual rookie picks for him.

But because he was out for the year as an LTI, we could preselect him as a father son before the rookie draft, and put him on our LTI without actually committing a list spot to him.

However Essendon drafted him with their last pick in the National Draft as a normal draftee, not as an nga selection.

They put him straight on their long term injury list, which gave the an extra rookie spot to use in the rookie draft or SSP.

Basically Dodoro playing games and one up-man-ship.

I wonder if Essendon has kept Johnson on their list for next year? andleanback
Yeah he’s contracted, would be silly to dump him after 1 year when we knew he wasn’t going to play. Interested to see how he goes next year, personally I don’t think he warranted going in the nd - and that was before the acl.

I agree with the decision but can't understand the implementation.

Basically, we know the bidding system doesn't work and is open to all kinds of abuse (as we've seen). The AFL has obviously come to the conclusion that the current NGA/bidding system is not what we need or want.

So, why phase it out over 2 years?

Why not just say: "sorry guys, we had a really good idea that just doesn't work in reality. We're dropping it."

Keeping it 'half pregnant' for another 2 drafts makes no sense.

If it's crap (and that's what they've decided) - get rid of it.
If it's not - keep it.

I agree with the decision but can't understand the implementation.

Basically, we know the bidding system doesn't work and is open to all kinds of abuse (as we've seen). The AFL has obviously come to the conclusion that the current NGA/bidding system is not what we need or want.

So, why phase it out over 2 years?

Why not just say: "sorry guys, we had a really good idea that just doesn't work in reality. We're dropping it."

Keeping it 'half pregnant' for another 2 drafts makes no sense.

If it's crap (and that's what they've decided) - get rid of it.
If it's not - keep it.
Any changes need transition time . A lot stuff in life or system take time . Imagine traffic light without yellow .

When the food in the fridge is past its 'use-by date', you throw it out.

You don't throw some of it out and the rest later.
Transition time , you still need to go to the fridge to check use by date before throw it out .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, Swans lost COLA and were given a trade ban overnight. Just as easy to rip the band aid off.
Swan is the only club that have Cola. All club have their own academy .

When the food in the fridge is past its 'use-by date', you throw it out.

You don't throw some of it out and the rest later.
Food past it’s best before date is still useable though.

Sure - but smart men throw it out. Fools keep it around for the company.
Depends what it is, if it’s perfectly useable an arbitrary date shouldn’t bother you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back