News Changes to Next Generation Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Generation Academy Concessions

From 2021, Next Generation Academies (NGAs) - targeting Indigenous and multicultural players - will be overseen by the AFL Talent Pathway program with support from AFL Clubs. As part of this change, the AFL Commission determined that the concession model for NGAs be revised to reflect this.

The following changes to the NGA concession model ahead of the 2021 and 2022 NAB AFL Drafts will be as follows:

• From 2021, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 21 in the NAB AFL Draft. All other players selected from Pick 41 onwards can be matched by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
  • From 2022, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 41 onwards by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
This model allows for elite talent to be available to all AFL Clubs while still ensuring late prospects can find their way onto an AFL list and continue their relationship with the respective Club that has been supporting them.

A summary of changes can be found in the table below:

RoundCurrent20212022
1st Round (Pick 1 – 20)20% discountNo accessNo access
2nd Round (Pick 21 – 40)197 points197 pointsNo access
3rd Round (Pick 41 - 60)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
4th Round (Pick 61 +)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
Rookie ListAny undrafted playerAny undrafted playerAny undrafted player

Last edited:
I'm basing it purely off results at the draft - the quality of kids coming out the back end of the draft via your academy. By comparison, Sydney have had a few stars fall in their laps (Heeney, Blakey, Mills) who would have gone among the top few picks regardless, but have little else. I won't claim to understand the inner workings otherwise, only the results

How did Heeney or Mills fall in their lap?

The rules were in place long before Gibbs entered the picture, so it's not like they changed it for him.

The idea with 'league' father son picks was always to provide new WA/SA clubs with a roughly equivalent number of potential father son picks to what pre existing clubs had.

If they'd had a wider timeframe (increasing the potential pool) they would have needed to increase the number of games played to qualify (to get the potential pool back to a similar number). Might that have worked out better for the crows as things turned out? Quite probably, but when the rules were made, that was the system agreed to.

Personally I think the idea was right, but the whole thing wasn't well handled. (e.g. league FS should have been gradually phased out as club FS became more likely), but the point remains that the system (and particularly Gibbs) was hardly a conspiracy by Vic clubs to keep interstaters down.

Its not as if they havent been fiddled with.

Not a 'bonus' per se, but rather an attempt to give an equivalent benefit.

The games limit was designed to provide a similar number of potential fathers to VFL clubs (so if the average Vic club had 200 players who had 100 games, they set the bar at a level that would provide around 200 players. The games limit was higher because they were including multiple 'source' clubs).

This was removed when the clubs own players started to get to the stage in life where their kids would be eligible. (really, it could have been a smoother changeover...)
That's actually not true the rule is still current - the reasoning being that players who had children late in life should be able to benefit from father/son too. But if nobody was eligible 15 years ago they won't be eligible now

This all has to do with when the rules were devised. The AFL/VFL went to the SANFL and the WAFL and asked them how many players between these dates had played 300 games / 250 games / 200 games etc. Both leagues came back with the numbers. The AFL no doubt made the rule to be sure that WA and SA didn't get an advantage.
There were a similar amount of players who had played over 200 games in SA and 150 games in WA so they made the rule 150 games for WA and 200 games for SA.
After the rule was made it was found out that SA numbers total games played included pre-season and state games while WA numbers didn't.
The AFL then changed the rule so the state games and pre-season games are not included in the SA games total but the number of games needed did not change. Also SANFL games are not counted after the year the AFL club was formed. Anyway if the SANFL amount of games played was 150 games Bryce Gibbs would have been an Adelaide player. Brad Ebert and Shannon Hurn would have been Port Adelaide players assuming they nominated. Theya re ones I can think of immediately.
This is a perfect case of what not to do as a Data Analyst - validate your data. Garbage in Garbage out
Shannon Hurn wouldn't have been a Port player if the qualifying number of games was 150. His father William only played 135 games for Centrals.

The development of Aussie Rules is coming a long way in Queensland (and New South Wales) with these academies, with a lot more success than the previous development programs. These clubs are incentivised by having access to these players, to reduce the "go home" factor by increasing the proportion of home grown players on their list. If you're going to take away that incentive, then the AFL can take over the funding and running of these academies (as they are with the NGAs).

Just taking an example from the Brisbane academy, Jack Payne represented Australia in discus throwing and also played rugby union growing up. He was scouted at age 13 and was invited to come and join the Lions academy, and about eight years later he was running out in a preliminary final.

Brisbane came very close to poaching Kalyn Ponga from the grasps of the NRL. He was involved with the Lions academy from age 15, and was about to sign a four year contract with Brisbane before Newcastle came along with a big bag of money. 10 years ago, I suspect playing in the AFL wouldn't have even registered on his radar.

Even with Giving the QLD Sides an Un-Fair Advantage with them keeping the Northern Academies the same

They need to scrap F/S and Academies, we have benefited from them but they are shambolic, this "competition" is a joke. You can't have the draft as the talent distribution mechanism and just have the best talent going to whichever clubs, it is just Russian Roulette if you get lucky or not and we realised from the 70s that luck based zoning was bad for the competition.

AFL is the most amateur professional football code on the planet.

Well getting Rid of Father/Son will take Romance out of Footy

Well getting Rid of Father/Son will take Romance out of Footy

Fairness and the credibility of the competition should come before "romance".

Players can pretty much go wherever they want to go.

Even with Giving the QLD Sides an Un-Fair Advantage with them keeping the Northern Academies the same
I assume from this post that not only should be QLD and NSW sides have their "unfair advantage" taken away from them, the same "unfair advantage" that allowed Collingwood to claim Isaac Quaynor and will allow them to draft Reef McInnes this year should also be taken away as well?

Players don’t have to nominate as a father son do they?
My understanding is that they do have nominate.

For instance, to the best of my knowledge, Luke Edwards has not nominated as a father son despite being eligible this year for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume from this post that not only should be QLD and NSW sides have their "unfair advantage" taken away from them, the same "unfair advantage" that allowed Collingwood to claim Isaac Quaynor and will allow them to draft Reef McInnes this year should also be taken away as well?

Well with NGA getting weaker then the NSW and QLD ones also be weaker.

What is good for 1 should be for the Rest of the Comp.

Less people be Intrested in Eastern State U-18 Comps as no one to follow for your Team

Well with NGA getting weaker then the NSW and QLD ones also be weaker.

What is good for 1 should be for the Rest of the Comp.

Less people be Intrested in Eastern State U-18 Comps as no one to follow for your Team
My point has gone over your head it would appear.

If either Quaynor or McInnes were from metropolitan Adelaide or Perth, they would not be eligible to be NGA's in the first place. As they are from metropolitan Melbourne, they are eligible.

Also, the Northern Academies exist to get young kids from NSW, ACT and Queensland to play Aussie Rules in the first place. If these academies did not exist, participation rates in the game in those areas would not be as high.

It's there Choice. They don't HAVE to accept being a Father\Son though only 1 not to do that is Marc Murphy
Also, this is incorrect. Nick Blakey chose to be drafted as a Northern Academy pick by the Swans instead of as a father-son by either Brisbane or North Melbourne. Lachlan Johnson was also taken as an NGA by Essendon instead of as father-son by Brisbane.

For the record, it is my opinion that if you are eligible to be a father-son you should not qualify as an NGA or a Northern Academy pick.

Also, this is incorrect. Nick Blakey chose to be drafted as a Northern Academy pick by the Swans instead of as a father-son by either Brisbane or North Melbourne. Lachlan Johnson was also taken as an NGA by Essendon instead of as father-son by Brisbane.

For the record, it is my opinion that if you are eligible to be a father-son you should not qualify as an NGA or a Northern Academy pick.
This is actually incorrect.

Lachlan Johnson nominated Brisbane to go as a father son, and we committed to drafting him in the rookie draft if he went undrafted in the National Draft.

He had done his acl, so we knew we could put him straight on to the long term injury list for the season, thus opening up an extra rookie pick.

We were tight for list spots and draft picks, and had no intention of drafting him in the National Draft, and we had committed to re-selecting 4 delisted senior players back on to our rookie list, and had no actual rookie picks for him.

But because he was out for the year as an LTI, we could preselect him as a father son before the rookie draft, and put him on our LTI without actually committing a list spot to him.

However Essendon drafted him with their last pick in the National Draft as a normal draftee, not as an nga selection.

They put him straight on their long term injury list, which gave the an extra rookie spot to use in the rookie draft or SSP.

Basically Dodoro playing games and one up-man-ship.

I wonder if Essendon has kept Johnson on their list for next year? andleanback

This is actually incorrect.

Lachlan Johnson nominated Brisbane to go as a father son, and we committed to drafting him in the rookie draft if he went undrafted in the National Draft.

He had done his acl, so we knew we could put him straight on to the long term injury list for the season, thus opening up an extra rookie pick.

We were tight for list spots and draft picks, and had no intention of drafting him in the National Draft, and we had committed to re-selecting 4 delisted senior players back on to our rookie list, and had no actual rookie picks for him.

But because he was out for the year as an LTI, we could preselect him as a father son before the rookie draft, and put him on our LTI without actually committing a list spot to him.

However Essendon drafted him with their last pick in the National Draft as a normal draftee, not as an nga selection.

They put him straight on their long term injury list, which gave the an extra rookie spot to use in the rookie draft or SSP.

Basically Dodoro playing games and one up-man-ship.

I wonder if Essendon has kept Johnson on their list for next year? andleanback
My understanding was that he was taken as an NGA. As that does not appear to be the case, I stand corrected.

From what I understand, he was not kept on their list for the next year. Sound like a typical Dodoro move to be honest.

Out of curiosity, do you believe as he was available to you guys as a father-son, that he should not be available as an NGA?

My understanding was that he was taken as an NGA. As that does not appear to be the case, I stand corrected.

From what I understand, he was not kept on their list for the next year. Sound like a typical Dodoro move to be honest.

Out of curiosity, do you believe as he was available to you guys as a father-son, that he should not be available as an NGA?
That’s a tricky one, as we have Hodge’s eldest boy joining our academy next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back