Unofficial Preview Changes v Swans @ Gabba Round 14 blockbuster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Fagan just tear them to shreds and make them accountable. Tell them you guys want to take this jumper for granted, you are out. Set some standards, tell the team I don't care who you are, I'm not going to accept that anymore. Then stick the team sheet to the board with:

Out: Prior, McCluggage (he is not dropped on effort obviously), Rich, Gunston, McCarthy and Berry (Bailey on notice)
In: Fletcher, Ah Chee, Coleman, Forte, Lohmann, Zorko
Agree with your ins and outs 100%.

Fletcher and Ah Chee to play the wings. Clug to replace one when he returns from his injury and stay out on the wing. Bailey to play forward full time alongside Lohmann and Cameron. Dev to play the midfield minutes Clug was getting. Our small defenders to be Starc, Coleman, McKenna and Wilmot. Daniher and Hipwood our two keys up front with O and Fort rucking. We lose so much midfield firepower with Daniher getting dominated in the ruck. We need Fort to back up O.

Berry and McCarthy been cruising along, they need a wake up call. Rich and Gunston are past it. Prior simply did not perform to the required standard yesterday.

Guys like Ah Chee, Lohmann, Fort and Fletcher who have consistently performed their role in the reserves deserve a chance.

I’d love to see guys like Dev and Lohmann get a run of 5-6 games in the seniors. They may just start to flourish as Payne, Wilmot and Ashcroft have with consistent senior games and become an upgrade over guys like Berry and McCarthy who are solid clubmen and players but haven’t helped us get to the grand final in 4 straight seasons now.

Fletcher is someone I'd love to get in, but do wonder if he is physically ready to play a role in a team pushing for a flag. If they think he is, then get him in. Disciplined wingman with an elite kick aren't that easy to find.

Fletcher is someone I'd love to get in, but do wonder if he is physically ready to play a role in a team pushing for a flag. If they think he is, then get him in. Disciplined wingman with an elite kick aren't that easy to find.

I wish we could bring 2019 Mitch Robinson in to play wing.

I wish we could bring 2019 Mitch Robinson in to play wing.

(Looks around nervously for fear of Gadzorks hearing me) - I'm pretty glad robbo and his vlogging is away from the team. Thought his carry on in the crowd in the Carlton game, while not hurting anyone, was a bit embarassing.

I have been in the keep Gunston camp as i thought he would improve as the year progressed.
However, we are up to round 14 and he is not providing much to our overall team performance so should spend time in the VFL. But will it happen?.
Also, the coaches plan to bring him into the game via the wing and dropping back into defense at times is not working in my opinion.
I actually like that idea, but Rayner would have been a much better option after his defense showing earlier in the year.
Gunston will get more opportunities in the VFL and get some confidence back. Lots of time to get back into the side. So, who comes in if he is dropped.
I think a Fort/Fullarton type just makes us as slow as with Gunston in the side.
However, if they decide to go that route then Fullarton over Fort as i think Fullarton is more mobile.
In my opinion we need a pressure player that can mark and goal, over a Fort/Fullarton type that can ruck/mark/goal.

Our lack of an outside run game is hurting us especially the wings that i have mentioned in post 27.
To many cooks in the kitchen for that 3rd wing role, especially when our 2 main wingers (Berry & Wilmot) have been just passable in their role to date.
Having all these mids running through the wing does not help the normal midfield rotations.
A simpler midfield rotation would be better in my opinion, with mostly one wing relief player.
With McCluggage out next week, that makes the 2 wing and wing relief positions harder again.
My side that i think gives us more outside run and does not compromise the midfield mix that much.

B: B. Starcevich, D. Gardiner, J. Payne

HB: C. McKenna, H. Andrews, K. Coleman

C: D. Wilmot, D. Zorko - ***W. Ashcroft

HF: *Z. Bailey, J. Daniher, N. Cockatoo

F: L. McCarthy, E. Hipwood, C. Cameron

FOLL: O. McInerney, J. Dunkley, L. Neale

I/C: *Dev Robertson (mid), C. Rayner (Fwd/Mid), J. Berry (wing relief), N. Answerth (Def)
...........................................................................................................

*Dev Robertson: Could also be Answerth or Lyons. Happy with any of those 3. Maybe Tunstill could be considered.
**Wilmot: Back to defense when McCluggage returns. Sharp possibly but i prefer Wilmot over Sharp with McCluggage out. Consider Fletcher
***Cockatoo: For Gunston. Has been emergency a few times. Chose him over the less experienced Lohmann and B. Coleman. But one of those 3.
Bailey: Very little wing/mid time for him. He is a natural forward. Only 14 goals this year compared to 26 at the same time last year.
***** Ashcroft: 90% Wing & 10% Mid time. Classy player that played the wing/mid role v Demons. I don't think we lose that much team wise if a Dev/Lyons/Answerth takes his inside role for the remainder of the year. First year player and we need to keep him injury free for the rest of the year.
He is not a natural winger, but class players will always find the footy no matter where they play. See Nic Dacos.
Playing wing will allow him a little more time to dispose of the ball and in turn will improve his kicking efficiency.
i also see him more than capable of getting that handball receive and the old 1,2 similar to what Nic Dacos is doing when racking up those disposals.

Out: Rich (Omitted/injured), McCluggage (injured), Gunston (omitted)
In: Zorko, Cockatoo, K. Coleman (sub last week) + someone being a sub

(Looks around nervously for fear of Gadzorks hearing me) - I'm pretty glad robbo and his vlogging is away from the team. Thought his carry on in the crowd in the Carlton game, while not hurting anyone, was a bit embarassing.

What I'd like is a time machine to bring Mitch of four-five years ago into today's team.

He'd get 'em going.

Last edited:
We need to start retaining possession.
Spread,lead to the ball carrier,use the switch when it’s obvious to use, honour leads, generally keep moving when we have possession.
That doesn’t mean at a million miles an hour when you have the pill in your hands it’s our players that don’t have the ball need to keep moving,sprint to make your players disposal easier,uncontested.
Otherwise,we will be chasing them all day, a familiar story.
So many times yesterday a player wrapped around the ball carrier and didn’t demand it,wasted effort,just went to a long contest.
Not against Ashcroft working a wing, bring in lomani he replaces Gunston.
Rich ,Gardiner also out.
Lester and maybe kiddy or Calum to replace rich. I didn’t mind the other Irish guy either Joyce,we looked better defensively with him in over rich so take your pick. At least he can run and pressure.
Would like to flick Bailey as well,but too many other players need to go before him.

Never been surer of a win. Bounce back games at the GABBA will see us win this by 40 points.

It's the week after against St.Kilda that worries me. Must win that game at Marvel.

I'd love to see Sharp and Madden in the side. If Prior is getting dropped, we could push McKenna higher up the ground through the middle and let Madden go to HBF alongside Wilmot and Coleman. Sharp plays in the wing for McCluggage. Zorko in for Bailey.

We looked so much better with Joyce & Payne down back. 2 big, marking, moble defenders. Frees Andrews up to play his intercepting game. Just saying.

Ressies watchers - how has he been going?

We looked so much better with Joyce & Payne down back. 2 big, marking, moble defenders. Frees Andrews up to play his intercepting game. Just saying.

Ressies watchers - how has he been going?
You may have a very good point, I just had a look .. Darragh Joyce played in our 2 best wins this year v the Demons and Magpies. :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may have a very good point, I just had a look .. Darragh Joyce played in our 2 best wins this year v the Demons and Magpies. :think:
I thought Joyce was fine and gave us that extra bit of height and grunt.

IMO was very unlucky to get dropped and as seems to happen permanently erased once those pencilled in came back.

The backline has played a lot worse than when he was in it , particularly Harris. Not claiming any correlation , just sayin.

So
I have been in the keep Gunston camp as i thought he would improve as the year progressed.
However, we are up to round 14 and he is not providing much to our overall team performance so should spend time in the VFL. But will it happen?.
Also, the coaches plan to bring him into the game via the wing and dropping back into defense at times is not working in my opinion.
I actually like that idea, but Rayner would have been a much better option after his defense showing earlier in the year.
Gunston will get more opportunities in the VFL and get some confidence back. Lots of time to get back into the side. So, who comes in if he is dropped.
I think a Fort/Fullarton type just makes us as slow as with Gunston in the side.
However, if they decide to go that route then Fullarton over Fort as i think Fullarton is more mobile.
In my opinion we need a pressure player that can mark and goal, over a Fort/Fullarton type that can ruck/mark/goal.

Our lack of an outside run game is hurting us especially the wings that i have mentioned in post 27.
To many cooks in the kitchen for that 3rd wing role, especially when our 2 main wingers (Berry & Wilmot) have been just passable in their role to date.
Having all these mids running through the wing does not help the normal midfield rotations.
A simpler midfield rotation would be better in my opinion, with mostly one wing relief player.
With McCluggage out next week, that makes the 2 wing and wing relief positions harder again.
My side that i think gives us more outside run and does not compromise the midfield mix that much.

B: B. Starcevich, D. Gardiner, J. Payne

HB: C. McKenna, H. Andrews, K. Coleman

C: D. Wilmot, D. Zorko - ***W. Ashcroft

HF: *Z. Bailey, J. Daniher, N. Cockatoo

F: L. McCarthy, E. Hipwood, C. Cameron

FOLL: O. McInerney, J. Dunkley, L. Neale

I/C: *Dev Robertson (mid), C. Rayner (Fwd/Mid), J. Berry (wing relief), N. Answerth (Def)
...........................................................................................................

*Dev Robertson: Could also be Answerth or Lyons. Happy with any of those 3. Maybe Tunstill could be considered.
**Wilmot: Back to defense when McCluggage returns. Sharp possibly but i prefer Wilmot over Sharp with McCluggage out. Consider Fletcher
***Cockatoo: For Gunston. Has been emergency a few times. Chose him over the less experienced Lohmann and B. Coleman. But one of those 3.
Bailey: Very little wing/mid time for him. He is a natural forward. Only 14 goals this year compared to 26 at the same time last year.
***** Ashcroft: 90% Wing & 10% Mid time. Classy player that played the wing/mid role v Demons. I don't think we lose that much team wise if a Dev/Lyons/Answerth takes his inside role for the remainder of the year. First year player and we need to keep him injury free for the rest of the year.
He is not a natural winger, but class players will always find the footy no matter where they play. See Nic Dacos.
Playing wing will allow him a little more time to dispose of the ball and in turn will improve his kicking efficiency.
i also see him more than capable of getting that handball receive and the old 1,2 similar to what Nic Dacos is doing when racking up those disposals.

Out: Rich (Omitted/injured), McCluggage (injured), Gunston (omitted)
In: Zorko, Cockatoo, K. Coleman (sub last week) + someone being a sub
So true re the Gunston back role. I can't think if a single intercept mark he has taken or big spoil. Not one. There was one game (gold coast) where he took about 5 uncontested marks in the last few minutes when we were well up and they were irrelevant to the game. The fact Fagan thinks it's a tactic that is working goes to his Gunston delusion.

Agree with others on Daniher ruck. I liked it because it seemed to coincide with his good form. But it's clearly hurting us now and teams aren't giving him free ruck take-outs. Play Fort, and if Daniher is getting stale deep in attack get him to play CHF and roam up the ground. He can switch with Fort who would be excellent deep forward - doesn't really get outmarked and doesn't go for mark of the year, crumbs galore for Charlie and Bailey (who should be playing exlclusively forward).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back