Prediction Changes vs Brisbane

um... interesting

In theory don't mind us adding a defensive element to our midfield (when the opposition gets momentum our mids have been known to fold quicker than packing up a game of Guess Who) but it's certainly an unsexy change.

biting my tongue

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surprised so many people are shocked & angry about Duursma ... He is absolutely being managed this week peoples! The young fella has run himself stupid for the last 16 weeks, and I am frankly surprised it has taken this long to give him an extra break. Even if he ends up having a run in the Maggies, it will be managed.

As for Sutcliffe ... how many of you laughed your heads off when GWS picked up the Freo discard Matt (The Farmer) De Boer! I know I did! I reckon that we will see Sutcliffe in a very different light than when he plays in the Maggies. Sure it might end up being a failure, but IMO it would be a bigger failure if we did nothing different, which has been the MO of Hinkley the last few years.

This adds a new dimension to the game, & I am very interested to see how it turns out.

Gryllis

All Australian
Feb 12, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At least the Sutcliffe selection suggests we have a plan we think will beat Brisbane. Based on the last few weeks, sure felt like we had a plan to beat Geelong and two weeks later we had a plan to finally beat Pyke. Against the Bulldogs, even with the terrible conditions, if seemed like we didn't bother to come up with a plan to beat them because the coaches thought we just would. Could be wrong, but there's some promise from the coaching box with this selection.

I think the value of a tagger is overstated. It’s hard to effectively tag the best players in the comp. Last week in the Showdown, the Crows tried to reduce Robbie’s influence by having players target him at stoppages. It didn’t work.

The best mids know how to handle taggers. Plus teams have tactics to deal with them.

Would have preferred SPP to retain his spot. Can still remember his bum tap on Neale going back a couple of years ago

At least the Sutcliffe selection suggests we have a plan we think will beat Brisbane. Based on the last few weeks, sure felt like we had a plan to beat Geelong and two weeks later we had a plan to finally beat Pyke. Against the Bulldogs, even with the terrible conditions, if seemed like we didn't bother to come up with a plan to beat them because the coaches thought we just would. Could be wrong, but there's some promise from the coaching box with this selection.
Yep shut down Kelly and we win. Don't shut down Bontempelli and he destroys us.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't we sign Sutcliffe to purely be our SANFL captain?

I like how good SANFL form is enough to pick 27 year old Sutcliffe but insane, record-breaking SANFL form isn't enough to pick 27 year old Trengove.

That's before we get into the fact that not only are SPP and Drew better players, they're also significantly younger and play the same role.

Don't really understand the thinking behind this one considering calling up SANFL players to tag superstars has already failed spectacularly and Dan Houston has proven to be a capable tagger.

Seems like a bit of a 'boys club' selection.

Nah. Too much on the line. Coaches think they are right.

SPP is one too many of Boaky Ollie Pig and SPP.

As for Sutcliffe ... how many of you laughed your heads off when GWS picked up the Freo discard Matt (The Farmer) De Boer! I know I did! I reckon that we will see Sutcliffe in a very different light than when he plays in the Maggies. Sure it might end up being a failure, but IMO it would be a bigger failure if we did nothing different, which has been the MO of Hinkley the last few years.

Our last half of football was probably our best performance against a semi-decent team since 2015. If there was ever a time to not do something different, it's now.

Still don't see why we couldn't have just played Houston in whatever role we're planning on using Sutcliffe in. Which is why I think this is a 'he'll know Neale because they played together at Fremantle' thing. Which is absolutely flirting with form.

I guess we will know if Duursma is dropped or rested when the Magpies play. Could not have been form related. SPP unlucky as played well last week. If Sutcliffe tags and Neale still has 40 and 10 votes then I guess we got it wrong.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I think the most we can say for this game is that we have an idea of what we want to do, instead of just strolling into the game expecting all to be hunky dory.
The idea is fine, it's all about the execution.

KenOath

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Classic Hinkley era negative selection mindset. Worrying too much about stopping the opposition and not enough about making them stop us.

I don't care how good a job he does on the weekend, there are at least half a dozen guys who on form deserve a game ahead of Sutcliffe.

Sure, Neale always racks them up against us but I reckon our head to head W/L against his teams would be pretty reasonable over the journey.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
this will sound kind of strange as he is a first year player but we will actually miss duursma he has become a vital cog in the team, not only his well known running capabilities but his meters gained. disposal count is usually between the 15-25 mark rarely goes backwards goes for long isaac smith/brodie smith runs and really sets us up. When youre live at games in particular he tends to float inside defensive 50 unattended to simply because his oppo winger cant keep up leading to increased marks and really an extra 7th man in defence. The odd time he gets caught out but as he is young he does need a rest for the long run. Certaintly puts more defensive effort in than the last bloke to wear 21
I think you are right, but I am sure Rozee will be rested at some stage too, ready for finals 😉

Back