Opinion Changes vs. Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood have had the hardest draw this year by a considerable margin. Our rest days vs opponent's rest days is almost absurdly rigged. We have also played Brisbane, WCE, Freo, Adelaide and GWS at their home grounds. The myth that we get easy draws is easily disproved if you look at actual facts.
Collingwood jumped straight onto the WA hub hoping that it would mean they could get the WA teams out of the way and have the comfort of not not having to fly in and out etc. for the games, expecting then to spend the rest of the season in Victoria as they would have 'done their bit'.

Last edited:
So just listened to Montgomery's presser. Sounds like Bergman might be in line to come in as they 'want to get a look at him', but I thought it was a great sign that he mentioned Watts as in the mix as someone building. Didn't sound like Watts is quite right yet though

Westy or Lienert will come in, seems pretty obvious. We haven't pulled out any real surprises at selection all year so i hardly expect them to start at the final game of the minor rounds.

Collingwood have had the hardest draw this year by a considerable margin. Our rest days vs opponent's rest days is almost absurdly rigged. We have also played Brisbane, WCE, Freo, Adelaide and GWS at their home grounds. The myth that we get easy draws is easily disproved if you look at actual facts.

Pfft, this was about the draw, what the hell are you talking about? Why don't you bring up black and white stripes while you are at it.

Yes - excellent point FAB.

Port must be able to wear the black and white PB guernsey whenever they want to every year (except versus Collingwood - there, see, we are fair and balanced here too)

1600147965692.png

So we went from no injuries to report, to a corky, to a minor hammy but back for finals, next thing we know it’s a classic port 1-2 week injury that becomes a 6 weeker...
I know that this has become semi-serious meme in regard to Port injuries ... But did you listen to Monty's interview at all? Clurey has never had a soft-tissue injury, and so he thought he had cramp. So the events of the night show that they pulled him off & rubbed his "crampy" legs, then allowed him back on. So medics went with player's call that he thought it was only cramp. Pulled him off near then end, but even after the game he was ok. Scans on Monday revealed a low-grade stain.

We can all continue to beat the old False-Injury-Report drum if we want, but on the night it was thought to be cramp.

I know that this has become semi-serious meme in regard to Port injuries ... But did you listen to Monty's interview at all? Clurey has never had a soft-tissue injury, and so he thought he had cramp. So the events of the night show that they pulled him off & rubbed his "crampy" legs, then allowed him back on. So medics went with player's call that he thought it was only cramp. Pulled him off near then end, but even after the game he was ok. Scans on Monday revealed a low-grade stain.

We can all continue to beat the old False-Injury-Report drum if we want, but on the night it was thought to be cramp.
The game was iced. Why risk him? Dumb call imo.

Collingwood haven't left the GABBA since round 10
Rd 12. Rd 11 they played the crows at AO. AFL moves to Qld - keeps Collingwood close.

Interesting that Brett Montgomery mentioned Jack Watts in the mix to replace Tom Clurey. Given the lack of height in our defence I would have thought Lienert or Watts would be the best options if we want to maintain balance. I thought Watts' star had fizzled out at Alberton after almost two year on the sideline but apparently not.

Can't believe Watts is much of a chance after hearing most of the season how he's been struggling with his leg. It'll be either Lienert or Westhoff to come in. Either way we're going to be severely undermanned in defence for this one...might be one time we'd better hope for rain.

Lienert should be the first in to replace Clurey but Ken will go for Westy.

I wouldn't be against Ladhams playing on Cox say for the 2nd half and follow him - play on him when Cox is at FF and then ruck against him when Grundy takes a rest.

It will be good practice for Ladhams if something happens injury wise in the middle of a finals game and we have to swing him down back.

I know its a long time ago but Blight playing Pittman at CHB in 1997 GF was a great move, and then played him at FF in the 1998 GF.

Clarkson has moved McEvoy to CHB for about 6 games this year and it has been reasonably successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie should take De Goey. Jonas on Mihocek. That leaves Cox.

No obvious match up there. Lienert is our tallest viable option. Would love to see Bergman in. It’s a game where a risk like that is doable. It doesn’t solve the Cox question though.

If Watts is in the mix he is obviously fit.

If Watts is fit he's the front runner.

I love Justin Westoff but he is cooked end of story. A fit Watts offers more than any other option both in class and versatility. A game before finals to get up to speed and if he finds form quickly it makes for a pleasant problem as far as section goes during finals.

You clearly live in fairy land 😲 Next you will be trying to tell us that De Goey is a saint, rather than a sexual predator!

I'd love to see Watts in, after what has undoubtedly been a lot of hard work and application after a severe injury. Good on him for getting himself at least back in the mix.

Knowledgeable posters here though have said previously he's still a way off it, so I'd still be surprised to see him in now. Westhoff is the conservative option, Lienert if we want to continue his development.

Melt Sunday could be something of a disappointment, but I'm sure I can find something ;)

That's crazy, that you would play against teams in away fixtures. How could that possibly have been allowed?

Yes - excellent point FAB.

Port must be able to wear the black and white PB guernsey whenever they want to every year (except versus Collingwood - there, see, we are fair and balanced here too)

View attachment 962048
No that's rubbish. The prison bars should be our home strip. If we play Collingwood at home, they wear an alternative. Our heritage is not inferior to theirs that we have to make concessions for them.

McKenzie should take De Goey. Jonas on Mihocek. That leaves Cox.

No obvious match up there. Lienert is our tallest viable option. Would love to see Bergman in. It’s a game where a risk like that is doable. It doesn’t solve the Cox question though.
I reckon Lienert comes in to be a 3rd man up in contests, and perhaps Ladhams goes on Cox a bit.

Noticed last game Grundy would drift down back, Would hope Lycett goes forward a little bit to keep him accountable.

Can't believe Watts is much of a chance after hearing most of the season how he's been struggling with his leg. It'll be either Lienert or Westhoff to come in. Either way we're going to be severely undermanned in defence for this one...might be one time we'd better hope for rain.
Schofield said Watts is a bit off from AFL level. Monty didn't say he'd play this week, he just said he's still building and won't rule him out for the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back