Preview Changes Vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't really think either side had that much momentum, there was nothing in it all night. I didn't feel that safe when they got 8 points up, they needed 1 more. Lobb was doing ok in the ruck, getting his hands on it first, a couple of times dogs players fumbled the hit out to advantage. I am not that devastated by the loss, games like that can go either way. Need to beat Freo though, go 3/3 and too bad a result with the draw, but go 2/4 and the pressure will mount on the club.

Was exactly my take as well. 3-3 would be massive considering the poor start and tough draw.

But…..I have very low confidence in we’ll get it done, and I guess that’s our lot presently.

Was exactly my take as well. 3-3 would be massive considering the poor start and tough draw.

But…..I have very low confidence in we’ll get it done, and I guess that’s our lot presently.
I would absolutely have jumped at 3-3 to start the year, it’s not all bad results wise considering the evenness of the comp too ie if we won on Saturday we would have gone to =5th.

So we’re definitely not out of it if we win this week which we really should, but the problem for mine is just that nothing has really changed, the same issues are there we haven’t improved in any part of the game and if anything we’ve gone backwards in key parts of the game, so there’s just no confidence in saying we’ll make a go of this year to be honest.

Last two weeks have been shocking conditions so will try to not to take too much out of them in regards to things like ball movement and forward entries but * the signs are not good :(

He’s pushing AA in his current position. Why move him?
It’s not the worst shout, could shake things up a bit - he has the attributes and the right mindset. Not that it’d be easy to replace him in the backline by any stretch but probably easier & there’s more to gain than lose.

It’d be a ballsy move though, doubt we’d make it - our strategy right now of trying to minimise our midfield rotations as much as possible is going pretty well 😂 we’re down to what, 4 centre bounce attendees? Now we’re taking our best player out of there, wouldn’t surprise me if we started rocking up to the centre bounces with 2 mids…. Revolutionary

Was thinking how do we inject pace and skill into our midfield and thought of Dale. Elite user of the ball and a big tank

Was very strange to go into a rainy night as tall as we did. We don’t seem to pick for other teams or for weather or ground. It seems like a merit based system - doing what the coach/Mc wants gets you picked. Same thing used to happen to the Australian Cricket Team going to India - we would leave the best players of spin behind and the workhorse bowlers and take the same team that worked fine in Australian conditions.

Beating up on JUH and Lobb was not fair - having three very tall was a mistake. Other than by errors neither Charlie or Marshall were much better and at least Charlie played big minutes in the ruck. This also turned the game - you could see Port had a bash them mentality which guess what - works brilliantly on the wet. SPP was thig like but they clamped down hard and it worked. Other than Libba - perhaps only West plays well in those circumstances. We can all see West slipping backwards when his talent would be such an asset.

Having said that a pumped up Port (who beat Sydney) at their home ground in the poring rain was a tough combo - disappointing but had control of the game until English and Bont went off. Was at the game screaming like an idiot - surely leave one on. The most influential move was Drool going onto Bob. Same plan worked again. We tried to shake by putting Bont to forward line but this achieved the same outcome - taking him out of the middle. If we were going to do that then a forward needed to come off and Toby in the guts where plays the best - not to wing where he will just get gassed. Understand that soon after Bruce became injured and so he came off. Toby should play in the guts and give Bont support and then come off for speed later in the game. Smith in guys early in the year did not work - and he has lost his way a bit but expect he will come good.

Unfortunately, what I expect Bevo was hoping for was for Macrae to stand up - he is my favourite player but hasn’t had anywhere near his normal production.

We missed Smith but his handling has been poor - back to blind over the head hand passes and running to far and bombing it in. He should be available - straight swap for Hannan.

We lose Bruce - who despite some clambers was desperate and negated Charlie when he was on him. This allowed Jones to zone off from Marshall who isn’t in his league. TOB was OK but really dropped off when given the responsibility on Marshall - he easily pushed off him to run to space. Was killed by Jones every time. We will have Gardner and Keath. Would like to see Cleary playing.

Freo (assuming Taberner still injured) have Jackson, Amiss and Corbett/Tracy probably don’t need three over 197 to play on them but TOB just doesn’t get enough possessions as a third tall to warrant a place so expect all three might play. So TOB out.

It’s another away game - Optus is quick and should be dry. last time they beat us with speed - let’s not lose the same way again.

If we go too big in defence they will be too quick again. Fredericks had a field day last game but their speed and movement allow
Lobb to lead out to 50 fairly easily.

Will suit Lobb - who has been OK but hasn’t shown enough and keeps getting in the way - our forwards are not working their own space and it’s not taking advantage of their strengths l. Lobb might get a reprieve but if it was not Freo- interested in his ruck stats to me. Just seems to get beaten - especially around the ground.

I would have either:
  • brought in Sweet to work on Sean Darcy - and played English more forward with bigger rests early on quarters 2 and 3 or
  • played Khamis and go a bit smaller
  • give Sam Darcy Who was great against them in the game Lobb played his best game on the field with us.

Expected outs

Bruce
TOB
Hannan

(Crozier still injured? If not he probably plays)

expected ins:

Keath
Gardner
Smith

Weightman JUH Lobb

Jones Naughton Daniel

English Bont Libba

Baker Macrae Scott

Red Keath Dale
Gardner Jones Duryea

Trelor JJ McLean Smith

Sub: Williams

ALTERNATIVE:

Khamis JUH West (am a Jones fan but on goals and tackles West shout beat him ATM and brings some fight)

Weightman Naughton McLean (plays forward stoppages)

English Bont Libba
Baker Macrae Scott

Cleary Keath Dale

Richards Jones Duryea

Trelor Smith Daniel JJ

I think Arty Jones needs to go out for both his own good and the team's.
McClean his likely replacement.

Hopefully Keath is ready to come back to replace Bruce.

Really like to see Darcy get back in too.
With Hannan likely making way.

Better ball use is pretty hard at it and has some pace. We need to change it up in there.
Has been very good at half back but feel like 10 minutes a quarter to give us a different look would be good.
With JJ playing back more now Dale Duryea Crozier Williams we can cover him back there

Was very strange to go into a rainy night as tall as we did. We don’t seem to pick for other teams or for weather or ground. It seems like a merit based system - doing what the coach/Mc wants gets you picked. Same thing used to happen to the Australian Cricket Team going to India - we would leave the best players of spin behind and the workhorse bowlers and take the same team that worked fine in Australian conditions.

Beating up on JUH and Lobb was not fair - having three very tall was a mistake. Other than by errors neither Charlie or Marshall were much better and at least Charlie played big minutes in the ruck. This also turned the game - you could see Port had a bash them mentality which guess what - works brilliantly on the wet. SPP was thig like but they clamped down hard and it worked. Other than Libba - perhaps only West plays well in those circumstances. We can all see West slipping backwards when his talent would be such an asset.

Having said that a pumped up Port (who beat Sydney) at their home ground in the poring rain was a tough combo - disappointing but had control of the game until English and Bont went off. Was at the game screaming like an idiot - surely leave one on. The most influential move was Drool going onto Bob. Same plan worked again. We tried to shake by putting Bont to forward line but this achieved the same outcome - taking him out of the middle. If we were going to do that then a forward needed to come off and Toby in the guts where plays the best - not to wing where he will just get gassed. Understand that soon after Bruce became injured and so he came off. Toby should play in the guts and give Bont support and then come off for speed later in the game. Smith in guys early in the year did not work - and he has lost his way a bit but expect he will come good.

Unfortunately, what I expect Bevo was hoping for was for Macrae to stand up - he is my favourite player but hasn’t had anywhere near his normal production.

We missed Smith but his handling has been poor - back to blind over the head hand passes and running to far and bombing it in. He should be available - straight swap for Hannan.

We lose Bruce - who despite some clambers was desperate and negated Charlie when he was on him. This allowed Jones to zone off from Marshall who isn’t in his league. TOB was OK but really dropped off when given the responsibility on Marshall - he easily pushed off him to run to space. Was killed by Jones every time. We will have Gardner and Keath. Would like to see Cleary playing.

Freo (assuming Taberner still injured) have Jackson, Amiss and Corbett/Tracy probably don’t need three over 197 to play on them but TOB just doesn’t get enough possessions as a third tall to warrant a place so expect all three might play. So TOB out.

It’s another away game - Optus is quick and should be dry. last time they beat us with speed - let’s not lose the same way again.

If we go too big in defence they will be too quick again. Fredericks had a field day last game but their speed and movement allow
Lobb to lead out to 50 fairly easily.

Will suit Lobb - who has been OK but hasn’t shown enough and keeps getting in the way - our forwards are not working their own space and it’s not taking advantage of their strengths l. Lobb might get a reprieve but if it was not Freo- interested in his ruck stats to me. Just seems to get beaten - especially around the ground.

I would have either:
  • brought in Sweet to work on Sean Darcy - and played English more forward with bigger rests early on quarters 2 and 3 or
  • played Khamis and go a bit smaller
  • give Sam Darcy Who was great against them in the game Lobb played his best game on the field with us.

Expected outs

Bruce
TOB
Hannan

(Crozier still injured? If not he probably plays)

expected ins:

Keath
Gardner
Smith

Weightman JUH Lobb

Jones Naughton Daniel

English Bont Libba

Baker Macrae Scott

Red Keath Dale
Gardner Jones Duryea

Trelor JJ McLean Smith

Sub: Williams

ALTERNATIVE:

Khamis JUH West (am a Jones fan but on goals and tackles West shout beat him ATM and brings some fight)

Weightman Naughton McLean (plays forward stoppages)

English Bont Libba
Baker Macrae Scott

Cleary Keath Dale

Richards Jones Duryea

Trelor Smith Daniel JJ
Smith isn’t in WA and won’t play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree totally - we've tried him at HF and on the wing and he was average there at best.
Team would be far more worried about his rebound ability plus in round 1 he had the most intercept possessions in the AFL.

Play players in their best positions, for me.

Ah, the Joel Hamling cup again

Best guess:

Keath/Gardner for Bruce
McLean for Hannan

I think it’s unlikely Jones will be dropped for his first game back home in WA. Plus he’s probably suited to a big, dry ground.

Darcy for Bruce my kooky Bev dark horse selection.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ed have a run in the guts whats people's thoughts on that
Yes, I for one have mentioned this multiple times on here. The games are won and lost in the middle. Richards is the obvious choice. Strength, pace, foot skills. Many people can play half back, not many can play in the middle. The transition needs to happen now, can't rely on Libba and MaCrae for ever.

Yes, I for one have mentioned this multiple times on here. The games are won and lost in the middle. Richards is the obvious choice. Strength, pace, foot skills. Many people can play half back, not many can play in the middle. The transition needs to happen now, can't rely on Libba and MaCrae for ever.

Would look great on the wing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Out: Bruce (injured), Hannan, McLean (omitted)

In : Gardner, Khamis, Crozier

Hannan sub against all of my well-being, maybe his pace late on against tired legs will help him suck less ass

Out: Bruce (injured), Hannan, McLean (omitted)

In : Gardner, Khamis, Crozier

Hannan sub against all of my well-being, maybe his pace late on against tired legs will help him suck less ass

I like these changes and would do the same but I'd give McNeil a shot at being the sub.

I feel like McNeil will be getting a run this week, maybe as sub, but he is a likely inclusion this week IMO.

Can NOT play TOB as 2nd tall, need one of Gardner or Keath in next to Jones and allow TOB to intercept and go up against a Sturt or Banfield in the air where he won't get as exposed.

We tend to play a guy as sub, then a full game the week after, so maybe McLean gets another chance with a full game this week, but didn't exactly earn it based on his limited play coming on against the Power. I'm a McLean fan so hopefully he can get another chance and a few CBA rotations after the big 4.

IN: Keath / Mclean / McNeil (sub)
Out: Bruce / Hannan

Drove past a group of the boys in the CBD today. Khamis was amongst them for what that is worth. 90% sure I saw McLean with Williams too. So they have travelled here, might mean they get a run. I am not sure how many we normally take over here when we travel though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back