Preview Changes Vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

When you have the best ruckman and the best clearance player in the first 5 rounds and sit 2/3 with second lowest points scored (allowing for a couple wet games) something is not right. Not sure if it is game plan, lack of speed, efficiency with the ball, forward line not presenting, selection or not working hard enough probably a bit of all of these. Most times you will kill to be winning key areas if Tim and the Bont.

When you have the best ruckman and the best clearance player in the first 5 rounds and sit 2/3 with second lowest points scored (allowing for a couple wet games) something is not right. Not sure if it is game plan, lack of speed, efficiency with the ball, forward line not presenting, selection or not working hard enough probably a bit of all of these. Most times you will kill to be winning key areas if Tim and the Bont.
No way that two elite players can lift you into the finals on their own. We had quite a few years of that in the 70s and 80s but it was rarely enough to make the finals, let alone a GF.

So far we've got coaching, lack of depth and maybe player development as the likely answers.

That's the easy bit. Fixing all that is another matter.

No way that two elite players can lift you into the finals on their own. We had quite a few years of that in the 70s and 80s but it was rarely enough to make the finals, let alone a GF.

So far we've got coaching, lack of depth and maybe player development as the likely answers.

That's the easy bit. Fixing all that is another matter.

Where did I mention finals my point was that with the performance of Tim and Bont over first 5 rounds is an advantage we have failed to make the most of in the number of wins. On Saturday night we had 3 of the best 5 on the ground if I was giving votes Tim, Cody and Bont yet managed to lose by 14 points.

Where did I mention finals my point was that with the performance of Tim and Bont over first 5 rounds is an advantage we have failed to make the most of in the number of wins. On Saturday night we had 3 of the best 5 on the ground if I was giving votes Tim, Cody and Bont yet managed to lose by 14 points.
My point still applies. A handful of stars without depth won't be able to carry a whole side.

My point still applies. A handful of stars without depth won't be able to carry a whole side.

To add to this if Bont, Tim and now Cody (small sample size) keep performing like they have we probably only need a 5 to 10% lift from others we start winning games like last Saturday night.

To add to this if Bont, Tim and now Cody (small sample size) keep performing like they have we probably only need a 5 to 10% lift from others we start winning games like last Saturday night.
I agree with that.

Got any ideas how we achieve it?

I agree with that.

Got any ideas how we achieve it?
I think the dogs look a bit slow in movement and decision making. A few more speedy players would be good. But decision making can be improved. I ve seen Caleb Daniel make some shockers in the earlier rounds with kicking and he is generally elite.
I think alot has to do with belief and confidence and getting the mindset right. Sports psychology can help. But to make a winning team in an elite competition you need a lot going right. A good sports psychologist may help lift a players performance by a couple of %.

So McLean is now in the starting 22. There should be some midfield minutes available given Smith’s abscence.

How many times do McComb & Hannan need to be brought in and dropped for Bevo to realise they aren’t up to it?

There isn’t much to melt about this week. This is probably the best looking ‘structured’ side I’ve seen us field in a very long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've liked to see McNeil in but overall happy with the team. I liked O'Briens game last week but he definitely struggled once Bruce went off.

Hannan - I'm glad the MC finally see what we all can plainly see. Tries hard, but just not up to it. But of course, Bevo will go full Bunta St Bede Misty Eyes style and slot him back in the starting 22 eventually....

Able to keep the 3 tall defence structure. Hoping TOB can get a full game down back as the 3rd defender.

Reckon Toby McLean might get some midfield minutes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back