News Update: Charles Cameron traded to Brisbane for Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still of the opinion that we should hold firm on offering 18 or 19 (I think it's a fair deal) but if we were to offer up 12 in the end perhaps something like 12 and our 2018 2nd rounder for Cameron and your 2018 first rounder? If both teams finished in the same position as this year it would be 12 + 19 for Cameron and 17 (equivalent of pick 14). If we improve and you fall we could get a better deal, i.e. if you finished 4th and we finished 15th, it would be 12 + 22 for Cameron and 15 (equivalent of pick 18).
Our two 2018 firsr rounders are not going anywhere given there are players from SA expected to go in that range. We wanted to get Melbourne's 1st rounder next year because we want to have the flexibility of having 2 first rounders if we need to trade up at any point.

Doedee will play round one imo. Looks really good.
If Francis comes over, buys in and has good preseason with no more soft tissue issues I'd doubt that, Francis will immediately take Lever's spot IMO.

Talent wise Francis>>>Doedee and a better kick than most on our list, and that's not a knock on Doedee who also has plenty of talent.

If Francis comes over, buys in and has good preseason with no more soft tissue issues I'd doubt that, Francis will immediately take Lever's spot IMO.

Talent wise Francis>>>Doedee and a better kick than most on our list, and that's not a knock on Doedee who also has plenty of talent.
Yeah, I think people are really under-rating Francis' talent. If we can get him in shape both mentally and physically, he would be a home run for us. Basically, Lever's intercepting game in a more athletically gifted player.

Francis is an awkward size (around 190 cm) so he is not really a KPP nor is he a midfielder. Always felt that his best position is as a 3rd tall that reads the play exceptionally well and had the great ability to peel off his man and come across the packs for intercept marks.

I know that he has had a tough run emotionally given the family tragedy before he got drafted but I don't know enough if there are other issues at play. Is he another Menzel where application and work ethic leaves a bit to be desired of it genuinely him not being happy in Melbourne. Francis actually has A grade talent. Then again so does Troy Menzel.

Yeah, I think people are really under-rating Francis' talent. If we can get him in shape both mentally and physically, he would be a home run for us. Basically, Lever's intercepting game in a more athletically gifted player.

Francis is an awkward size (around 190 cm) so he is not really a KPP nor is he a midfielder. Always felt that his best position is as a 3rd tall that reads the play exceptionally well and had the great ability to peel off his man and come across the packs for intercept marks.

I know that he has had a tough run emotionally given the family tragedy before he got drafted but I don't know enough if there are other issues at play. Is he another Menzel where application and work ethic leaves a bit to be desired of it genuinely him not being happy in Melbourne. Francis actually has A grade talent. Then again so does Troy Menzel.

Injuries have been his main issue. Plus he's obviously wanting a return home. He would need a massive pre-season to get him right, but I'm concerned about his propensity for sift tissue injuries. Hopefully I'm wrong if he does come over to us.

Injuries have been his main issue. Plus he's obviously wanting a return home. He would need a massive pre-season to get him right, but I'm concerned about his propensity for sift tissue injuries. Hopefully I'm wrong if he does come over to us.
I think it's actually a lack application and self preparation that ultimately has led to his soft tissue issues.

I think it's actually a lack application and self preparation that ultimately has led to his soft tissue issues.

Possibly, but being in a poor headspace also contributes to that application and injury.
If we got him I'd be happy, as long as we get a reasonable deal, but this is Essendon and Dodoro we'd be dealing with.

193cm 92KG, he's actually only 2cm shorter than Hartigan..;)

Edit : and only 1cm shorter than Tex.

Francis is a far more versatile player than Menzel, and that's why he is worth the 'risk'. Will offer us cover forward, centre, and back. Get him.

I remember his kicking being talked up as a junior

I'm getting the vibe Francis is becoming more and more likely as trade week goes on, not sure what I think about that.

If I'm Tom Doedee I'd be starting to worry that I'm never going to get a fair crack at an AFL career if Francis comes in and gets his act together and finally plays up to his full potential. Surely Cheney would be moved on in the event Francis joins us.
We have two vacancies in defence next year. Could francis and doedee exist in the same defence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what, when his manager comes out with this kind of horse-sheet:
"However, he's not too sure, based on this year's performances, how he will travel next year knowing that he's playing with a club that he doesn't want to play with."

I hope we stir as many pots as possible. That kind of language from his manager pisses me off to no end and paints Charlie in a bad light to boot. Colin Young can go and EAD.
I agree with you - however his manager has form in this area. Young manages Cam McCarthy who stood out of footy for a year and then engineered a lowball trade from GWS to Freo so in that respect the possibility of Cameron underperforming - or worse - is a credible threat that we should take account of.

That said the AFL should investigate this kind of s**t - as well as Ablett threatening to retire - as players shouldn't be able to threaten or take such actions without repercussions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back