News Update: Charles Cameron traded to Brisbane for Pick 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's quite simply bullshit. We're asking for pick 1-3 in the best draft in ages for a role player? No, that isn't a thing.

I'd potentially believe it if we were asking for their 2nd rounder next year. Brisbane's first rounder next year is worth more than Pick 1 in 2017.

It obviously won't be a straight swap.

For example I'd be happy with Cameron + Melbournes 2018 first for Brisbanes 2018 first rounder.

The only thing I have an issue with is last year and in the past we were painted the picture that he loves the crows and everything they've done for him and he has Eddie, Tex and co.

Now there's stories saying "I won't ever sign with Adelaide, I won't play for a team I don't want to" sounds really bad from an image standpoint. Anyone who hasn't tracked him or the crows would think, s**t, what's wrong with Adelaide? This guy can't stand them.

That's what is annoying me, he went from love to hate in a matter of a year and now the club looks bad at the end of it all. And for this I will be booing him if they play at AO. A couple of weeks ago I said I wouldn't and felt sympathy for him, now it's starting to change and he's doing this to himself. I'm sure I'm not alone as well

The only thing I have an issue with is last year and in the past we were painted the picture that he loves the crows and everything they've done for him and he has Eddie, Tex and co.

Now there's stories saying "I won't ever sign with Adelaide, I won't play for a team I don't want to" sounds really bad from an image standpoint. Anyone who hasn't tracked him or the crows would think, s**t, what's wrong with Adelaide? This guy can't stand them.

That's what is annoying me, he went from love to hate in a matter of a year and now the club looks bad at the end of it all. And for this I will be booing him if they play at AO. A couple of weeks ago I said I wouldn't and felt sympathy for him, now it's starting to change and he's doing this to himself. I'm sure I'm not alone as well
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well that's quite simply bullshit. We're asking for pick 1-3 in the best draft in ages for a role player? No, that isn't a thing.

I'd potentially believe it if we were asking for their 2nd rounder next year. Brisbane's first rounder next year is worth more than Pick 1 in 2017.
:thumbsu:
I think Brisbane will move up the ladder 3 or 4 spots in 2018 myself with the advent of Hodge's on field marshalling of the troops and their strong group of youngsters getting another preseason under their belt. If the word is right their likely going to take Luke Davies-Unakie he's one player I could see making a very real impact in his 1st year similar to the McGrath, Taranto 's of this season.....and we know Chris Fagan will play the youngsters if we look at Jarrod Berry, Alex Witherden, Hugh McCluggage, Cedric Cox and Jacob Allison this year as an example.....just like we should have got games into Gallucci. But to suggest we're asking for Brisbane's 1st next year is total fantasy, Reid would get laughed out of the room.

Pretty much, This is from the official AFL page.

"However, he's not too sure, based on this year's performances, how he will travel next year knowing that he's playing with a club that he doesn't want to play with."

I suppose there's a chance it could be genuine, but sounds more like a threat.
No, his manager has said it. Not Charlie. Until I hear those words uttered from his mouth I will continue to believe he's being manipulated by people that are supposed to be looking out for his best interests (not theirs).

I think we will trade out CC but Imo we are hedging til we know we have an in. We can't decimate out depth.
I think we're hedging.. but it's not a case of "trade or not trade".

In order to release him without a replacement (i.e. Motlop), the club needs Brisbane to "make them an offer they can't refuse". This means a trade involving pick #12.

If we get the replacement, they're happy to release him for "player's value plus premium due to contract". This probably means a straight swap of Charlie for Pick #18.

Keeping him is the preference if we don't land Motlop - though I don't understand why, given that he's already checked out mentally. That being the case, they won't sign off on anything unless they get premium++ coming back the other way.

IMO this move will put his footy at the crossroads

I'm not convinced this move will see Charlie reach his best footy
Eddie, at our breakfast last year (I think it was) said he believed Charlie is a better footballer than he is. He said at the same age, he (Eddie) was out drinking and believing he was something and putting little effort into his game. He said Charlie is so focussed on his footy, he doesn't make time for that. I'd be pretty sure the good influence in Charlie's life allowing him to do that is one Eddie Betts. Seems to me that Charlie might be your classic follower. Let's hope he has some good influences around him at Brisbane.

Charlie seems to want to make himself look like a bigger flog than Lever.

Trade me to Brisbane, or I'll play like s**t!

What a *****!
I don't think it's a threat, more a sign of self-awareness regarding his performances in the second half of the season (when his body was in Adelaide but his mind was already in Brisbane).

No, his manager has said it. Not Charlie. Until I hear those words uttered from his mouth I will continue to believe he's being manipulated by people that are supposed to be looking out for his best interests (not theirs).

I happen to know a couple of football managers and I can tell you that whilst there are one or two very good and genuine managers who are there for their players best interests (these are not the guys you hear on radio regularly), there are plenty of others who know that moving a player means a new contract and typically more income - hence greater pay packet for themselves. In the end a lot of these moves are in fact instigated by the agent as nothing but a money making measure. Unfortunately these players are young and can't see through the BS they are fed.

Eddie, at our breakfast last year (I think it was) said he believed Charlie is a better footballer than he is. He said at the same age, he (Eddie) was out drinking and believing he was something and putting little effort into his game. He said Charlie is so focussed on his footy, he doesn't make time for that. I'd be pretty sure the good influence in Charlie's life allowing him to do that is one Eddie Betts. Seems to me that Charlie might be your classic follower. Let's hope he has some good influences around him at Brisbane.
Hodge should help.

Pretty much how I see it. She may be a Brisbane local and wants to go home. But if the Brians are offering him more coin it feels like she wants Charlie to cash in.

As does his manager. Think about it for a minute.

It obviously won't be a straight swap.

For example I'd be happy with Cameron + Melbournes 2018 first for Brisbanes 2018 first rounder.

Brisbane's Pick will be absolutely no worse than 5. In all likelihood they're going to finish about 16th (above only North and Gold Coast), so that's Pick 3.

Melbourne are absolute locks to finish somewhere between 4th and 10th. 6th-7th feels about right. Pick 12-13.

Pick 12-13 plus Cameron, for Pick 3 in a draft where the top 6 or so are already considered to be better than anyone in the 2017 draft = laughed out of the room.

Pipe dream. Forget about it.

We should do everything in our power to secure Pick 12 this year for Charlie (even if we throw in a later pick) and then look at moving some of these first rounders to either move up the draft or bring in Gibbs / Francis / another quality mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think as soon as everyone is back at the club training. Whenever that is, Tex might need to gather everyone together and lay down the law and ask for a show of hands. As to who is and isn’t committed.
All these gutter journalists don’t seem to realise that this team is bound together by Walsh’s creed of team first, we need to weed out the campaigners that are not true to the team first edict.
Weren't we all taking the piss out of Koch, when he suggested the exact same thing a month ago?

I think we're hedging.. but it's not a case of "trade or not trade".

In order to release him without a replacement (i.e. Motlop), the club needs Brisbane to "make them an offer they can't refuse". This means a trade involving pick #12.

If we get the replacement, they're happy to release him for "player's value plus premium due to contract". This probably means a straight swap of Charlie for Pick #18.

Keeping him is the preference if we don't land Motlop - though I don't understand why, given that he's already checked out mentally. That being the case, they won't sign off on anything unless they get premium++ coming back the other way.
Yep. I think if Charlie goes and for how much is subject to what happens with Motlop.

I reckon though Motlop is off to port so the Cameron trade will drag out to the 11th hour.

That’s some pretty embarrassing accusations your flinging around there.
Using Pets as an example doesn’t really prove much as he didn’t amount to much football wise either. Pulling the race card. :rolleyes:
his posting is quite frankly an embarrassment to this site - if you can't see that, then i'm sorry. but I am not backing down from that

From what I understand he is still pretty tight with all the boys, especially Eddie, and Hugh has also taken him under his wing etc. There is definite pressure on him from outside that circle that is the driving force in all this from what I have been told. All to do with the influence that circle has on Charlie (which is some pretty good influence tbh). Charlie is one of those shy people who when comfortable becomes really exuberant - he's one of the loudest boys in the club and quite a chatterbox, but outside can be very quiet and reserved.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone like that, who is loyal and wants people to be happy. We think this would be easy because we look from the outside in envying their lives, not realising that they are trapped. You have to be mindful that someone could only be liking you because of your job and not you, so can you really go out and make new friends like many have suggested here? Clubs are tight knit little families and when some people don't get along, it can be difficult. You could feel beholden to someone who supported you before you became this famous, that they put their life on hold for you to move away from their family etc. I don't know personally what is going on, and we can't really except the direct people involved, but I have some snippets that seem to be putting together a picture something along those lines. I just feel it is all really horrible for Charlie and he's trying to do what he thinks is best to make others happy, so that he can feel happier instead of having to walk this fine line he has been this year.
Thanks Nik. Tough decision for a young fella. Unlike lever he's so likeable you kind of want the best for him . Highly likely then that this move may feel like a mistake to him in 12 months time.

Thanks Nik. Tough decision for a young fella. Unlike lever he's so likeable you kind of want the best for him . Highly likely then that this move may feel like a mistake to him in 12 months time.

That's what makes me so sad around all this and if he does move on, I won't be booing him like I do other former players.

his posting is quite frankly an embarrassment to this site - if you can't see that, then i'm sorry. but I am not backing down from that
I guess you're going to see what you want to see, when you pick & choose the way you have.

I suppose you think my posts about Grigg, LJ & Menzel were also racially motivated?

I call things as I see them. If I don't think a player is good enough, or has serious flaws in his game, then I will call them on it - even if the player is one of the BF beloved sons. I call a spade a spade. If you don't like that, then that's up to you. None of it is racially motivated.

Crows need to get make a move and show some initiative. I don't care if it takes til the last day, but I want a ready made afl quality footballer that wants to be at Adelaide next yr and Cameron in Brisbane.

This is from my perspective as the number 1 Cameron supporter going around since day 1.

If he doesn't want to be here he needs to go. I doubt he has the temperament of Gibbs and will perform if he wants to be elsewhere. Strikes me more of the McCarthy / Mitch Clarke type that will sit on the side lines for a yr then walk to the club of his choice.

Crows need to work some magic and bring in a ready made player. It shouldn't be that hard with all the players looking to move clubs or clubs looking to bring in players, get in on the action FFS.

Brisbane's Pick will be absolutely no worse than 5. In all likelihood they're going to finish about 16th (above only North and Gold Coast), so that's Pick 3.

Melbourne are absolute locks to finish somewhere between 4th and 10th. 6th-7th feels about right. Pick 12-13.

Pick 12-13 plus Cameron, for Pick 3 in a draft where the top 6 or so are already considered to be better than anyone in the 2017 draft = laughed out of the room.

Pipe dream. Forget about it.

We should do everything in our power to secure Pick 12 this year for Charlie (even if we throw in a later pick) and then look at moving some of these first rounders to either move up the draft or bring in Gibbs / Francis / another quality mid.
I'm getting the vibe Francis is becoming more and more likely as trade week goes on, not sure what I think about that.

If I'm Tom Doedee I'd be starting to worry that I'm never going to get a fair crack at an AFL career if Francis comes in and gets his act together and finally plays up to his full potential. Surely Cheney would be moved on in the event Francis joins us.

I'm getting the vibe Francis is becoming more and more likely as trade week goes on, not sure what I think about that.

If I'm Tom Doedee I'd be starting to worry that I'm never going to get a fair crack at an AFL career if Francis comes in and gets his act together and finally plays up to his full potential. Surely Cheney would be moved on in the event Francis joins us.
Wouldn't competition between the two make for a better player in the AFL team.

That is the outcome we want.

Doedee will play round one imo. Looks really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back