Roast Clearance Problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather noticeably, for the second week in a row against a "weaker" team, we were beaten in the clearances, and especially "smashed" early in the centre clearance area.

Looking at the stats from the last 2 weeks;

Port = 40 clearances
Collingwood = 30 clearances

WCE = 31 CL
Coll = 27 CL

Leading clearance players for us; (over these 2 weeks)

Swan = 11 ( 4 + 7)
Wellingham = 7 (3 + 4)
Pendlebury = 6 (2 + 4)
Didak = 5 (5 + 0)
Ball = 5 (4 + 1)

In my eyes, we have started the last few games terrible in the middle, mainly because we seem to start Swan either on the bench or outside the centre.

Also Luke Ball seems to have dropped off in terms of clearances, which isn't surprising given his huge workload so far this year.

Coming into the last 7 weeks, with some very tough games ahead of us, what can we do to improve the "clearance problem" we are having.

Possible Solutions;

* Start Swan in the middle each match.
* Throw a "big bodied" player in there. e.g. Leigh Brown, Nick Maxwell.
* Josh Fraser comes in as second ruck, as he has traditionally been one of the leading clearance ruckman in the league.

Thoughts?

Just because there weaker doesn't mean they are weak around the clearances? West Coast are especially good they just butcher the s**t out of the ball afterwards..

Last night Bally was a bit out of sorts as well, I don't think we really need to change much to be honest.

I was hoping Blair might win some clearances, but no - or at least not yet.

It is a recurring problem with this team - our inability to get 'first hands' on the ball.

Apparently Josh Thomas is likely to be a long-term solution, but in 2010 I'm not sure where we can go.

Doesn't matter against the Saints, clearances and quick kicks from them and they gobble you up.

But overall yeah, thought Jolly had a pretty poor first half and that contributed a lot, couple of times the umpire bounced the ball his way and he punched forward - worst punch in the game

Port have several players that are good in the clearances, K. Cornes, Rodan, Boak this no doubt is their strength.

Rodan was outstanding last night.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Maybe it is a good thing for Ball to be a little subdued at this time of the year, as long as he and others fire in the clearances in September.

I think we have found an outstanding clearance player in the future in Blair.

Not a fan of your solutions at all Mattys.

Swan can't start every bounce, it would ruin his rotations and blunt his effectiveness.

Our best clearance player is Ball, why don't we start him in every centre bounce?

Leroy would get ripped to shreds in the centre and Maxwells main weapon is his overhead marking, not the in close type of stuff.

Personally i don't see it as that much of a problem, both West Coast and Port, while not great teams, have some fantastic clearance players. Would be interesting to see the clearance stats after the first quarter last night.

All we need is a little tweak, such as a little more of Ball, Pendles and Swan around the ball as our best three clearance players, nothing major.

From the outset, Swan is a sensational footballer BUT, I've often noticed he gets the clearance stats after an in and under player like Ball has worked the ball to advantage to enable the team to get control of the ball.

Often Swan is last man on a daisy chain of quick hand balls in the centre or at ball ups and puts it on the boot quickly meaning it's often a 50/50 proposition as it goes forward.

I'm not criticising Swan, just pointing out that he's often on the outside of the scramble and ends up with stats while the in and under player who has toe poked or tapped the ball to advantage doesn't get recognised.

This comment is more a defence of players in the style of Ball whose efforts don't get the stats but make a huge difference in winning possession and gaining momentum from clearances.

What do they say about statistics? Lies and damned lies?

I reckon we need one more like Ball at the contests. Wellingham is always in the thick of it and might have the skills of an elite midfielder. Swan and Pendlebury are there.

If Swan took the time to pick out a target rather than banging it straight on the boot would that be too long and see him getting nailed rather than getting the ball moving forward? It's not something that happens every time but it's enough to notice.

From the outset, Swan is a sensational footballer BUT, I've often noticed he gets the clearance stats after an in and under player like Ball has worked the ball to advantage to enable the team to get control of the ball.

Often Swan is last man on a daisy chain of quick hand balls in the centre or at ball ups and puts it on the boot quickly meaning it's often a 50/50 proposition as it goes forward.

I'm not criticising Swan, just pointing out that he's often on the outside of the scramble and ends up with stats while the in and under player who has toe poked or tapped the ball to advantage doesn't get recognised.

This comment is more a defence of players in the style of Ball whose efforts don't get the stats but make a huge difference in winning possession and gaining momentum from clearances.

What do they say about statistics? Lies and damned lies?

I reckon we need one more like Ball at the contests. Wellingham is always in the thick of it and might have the skills of an elite midfielder. Swan and Pendlebury are there.

If Swan took the time to pick out a target rather than banging it straight on the boot would that be too long and see him getting nailed rather than getting the ball moving forward? It's not something that happens every time but it's enough to notice.

We have.....Blair.

He'll be a running machine, racking up 40 possies a game, 20 of them contested, throwing himself through the packs and coming out the other side to slot em from 60m.:D

Last night really was a throw it on the boot sort of game though you'd have to admit.

We have.....Blair.

He'll be a running machine, racking up 40 possies a game, 20 of them contested, throwing himself through the packs and coming out the other side to slot em from 60m.:D

Last night really was a throw it on the boot sort of game though you'd have to admit.

I haven't seen much of him but he's the right size for that kind of work and he looked the goods when he sold the dummy and nailed it from 50.

And yeah, that manic northerly would have been a factor in the mindset of players.

Champions clearance stats are rubbish.....they are more akin to a 1st disposal stat, have nothing to do with actually moving the ball effectively away from a stoppage.

Ball is our best clearance player, he is in the midst of what appears to be a quiet period where the club is looking to ease his load. Stick him back in the thick of it against the Aints and we will be right.

L.Davis is a great clearance player, should throw him in the middle a bit more too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of things above ring pretty true one is that being a weaker team doesn't mean weaker around the clearances. Port and WCE both break down in other areas. Boak, Rodan, K Kornes and Brogan is a pretty solid midfield line up a very good mix of hard bodies and pace in the smaller players.

As has been mentioned aswell Ball is our best player in this regards and has seemed to be struggling for fitness and time so either he needs to be rested or he is just being managed and will step it up again later in the year either way he will make a huge impact if he is able to play in a similar vein to earlier this year.

As has been mentioned aswell Ball is our best player in this regards and has seemed to be struggling for fitness and time so either he needs to be rested or he is just being managed and will step it up again later in the year either way he will make a huge impact if he is able to play in a similar vein to earlier this year.

Came out firing last time he played his old mob, maybe he might find that extra motivation this week again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back