Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contrary to all evidence that people appear to be getting smarter. But hey, we know you don’t like data.

I thought it was well known that academic performance is in decline? Or are we talking some other metric?

Climate change skeptics dominating the thread, most others have moved on it seems

Think were at stage 3&1/2 out of four here

Truth is it is too late, renewables cant power a a modern consumerist society.
The obvious solution which has been known since the 70s(degrowth, depopulate, reduce consumption to the lowest possible level) is impossible in both democracy and autocracy alike.

We shall burn the remaining(profitable) fossil fuels(note we're past peak conventional oil) until it all crumbles. billions will die, some of the wealthy will have bunkers but a complete biosphere collapse means its unrecoverable in any kind of medium term time frame.

Good luck comrades, 7 years to go

So according to you, we're all going to hell in a hand basket right?

I think that is most likely but it is a little complicated. Some areas will be ok, like Tassie and South Island New Zealand. Depends if we get the ocean burping the methane that exists like a solid under the pressure of the bottom of the ocean.

I think that is most likely but it is a little complicated. Some areas will be ok, like Tassie and South Island New Zealand. Depends if we get the ocean burping the methane that exists like a solid under the pressure of the bottom of the ocean.

Allow me to give you something to ponder. Given how we recently saw how quickly the world was able to come together to act against the very real covid threat, if no countries are willing to commit to net zero before 2050 then obviously governments are pretty confident this is not an urgent threat. Add to that, why would some of the biggest political supporters of Climate Change like Obama and Gore be investing in sprawling seaside mansions if they are going to be under water in the near future?

Allow me to give you something to ponder. Given how we recently saw how quickly the world was able to come together to act against the very real covid threat, if no countries are willing to commit to net zero before 2050 then obviously governments are pretty confident this is not an urgent threat. Add to that, why would some of the biggest political supporters of Climate Change like Obama and Gore be investing in sprawling seaside mansions if they are going to be under water in the near future?
After some pondering, I can conclude that this is indeed a casual fallacy. Thanks for sharing it with us though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After some pondering, I can conclude that this is indeed a casual fallacy. Thanks for sharing it with us though.
That Obama and Gore have bought waterfront properties or that they’ll soon be underwater (in 7 years according to many)?

1674793604848.png

Linking Obama and Gore's property purchases to disproving climate change is an example of a casual fallacy.

Here is an article on wikipedia to explain further if you are still unclear.
I’d just like to see some of these grifting posers setting an example. I’d take more notice of Obama if he’d bought a house in the mountains. But none of us will willingly give up our way of life, will we. Will you? To save the planet?

(Link didn’t work)

Linking Obama and Gore's property purchases to disproving climate change is an example of a casual fallacy.

Here is an article on wikipedia to explain further if you are still unclear.
I love it when people feign intellectual superiority and they show themselves up as nuffies...

1. The term is 'causal fallacy', and

2. The example is not a 'causal fallacy'...

I’d just like to see some of these grifting posers setting an example. I’d take more notice of Obama if he’d bought a house in the mountains. But none of us will willingly give up our way of life, will we. Will you? To save the planet?

(Link didn’t work)
Why would you take notice of Obama at all though, is he writing the studies and doing the research? What about the other people who do the research, do they have waterfront mansions and if they didn't would it add weight to their work?

Also, unless you're running an airline that's making 300 ghost flights to keep airport slots, you probably don't have to worry as much about giving up your way of life as much as you seem to think.

I love it when people feign intellectual superiority and they show themselves up as nuffies...

1. The term is 'causal fallacy', and

2. The example is not a 'causal fallacy'...
Thanks buddy for correcting my embarrassing spelling error, however it is most definitely a causal fallacy (is that better?)

-> Obama claims climate change is real
-> Obama does not act like climate change is real
-> therefore climate change is not real

Happy to walk you through this one but the actions of Obama have no bearing on whether climate change is real. That's your fallacy.

Thanks buddy for correcting my embarrassing spelling error, however it is most definitely a causal fallacy (is that better?)

-> Obama claims climate change is real
-> Obama does not act like climate change is real
-> therefore climate change is not real

Happy to walk you through this one but the actions of Obama have no bearing on whether climate change is real. That's your fallacy.
We both know it wasn't a simple spelling error...

Thanks for doubling down and making yourself look more of a nuffy.

Fadge, I could shitpost in this thread for three years straight and I still wouldn't look like half the nuffy that your Thunberg obsessed rants have painted you out to be.

Fadge, I could shitpost in this thread for three years straight and I still wouldn't look like half the nuffy that your Thunberg obsessed rants have painted you out to be.
See this sort of posting does no one any favours, all it does is discredit you to the poster you're arguing with.

I'm not going all mod but it's disappointing when two sides of an argument have salient points only to have those points discredited by the other 'coz poster x called me so n so'

See this sort of posting does no one any favours, all it does is discredit you to the poster you're arguing with.

I'm not going all mod but it's disappointing when two sides of an argument have salient points only to have those points discredited by the other 'coz poster x called me so n so'
Nah Fadge and I are cool, there's no tears here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back