Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All answers in megawatts, please.
Seriously, have you ever concidered using your intellect and doing some research on the "other side" of the green burn argument?

This group for example. Your thoughts?

And i dont mean trying to dig up dirt on google, anyone can do that, but your thoughts on their fire management and political policy strategies in light of past and current crisis

Last edited:
So just to be clear, fire chiefs have said Greenies blocking controlled burns is not an issue and police have confirmed arson is not the cause of the major fires (and the Australian’s figures about arson arrests were all over the shop), but the climate change deniers are talking about arson and controlled burns?

Usually, when the facts change, I change my mind. Bold approach from these guys to do the opposite.

Don't engage with him, is the best advice i can give you. It's only science when he claims it is or when it supports his initial premise. I have had plenty of ping pongs with him and it always ended with "he is not a real neuroscientist" "his peer reviews are bullshit" , even when i am quoting one of the top neuroscientists around. And simply put why would a real scientist have 55k posts in a few years on a football forum? how many posts per day will that be? i know plenty of real researchers and they have far more important things to do that convince Aussie rules fans that "i am a real scientist" or have that much free time to kill. Meh.

27K yourself which is nothing to be sneezed at.

Snake has 53K in 6.75 years which is about 20 posts a day. Most of them are very short and would take about 1 minute to write. 20 minutes out of someone's day is nothing.

So just to be clear, fire chiefs have said Greenies blocking controlled burns is not an issue and police have confirmed arson is not the cause of the major fires (and the Australian’s figures about arson arrests were all over the shop), but the climate change deniers are talking about arson and controlled burns?

Usually, when the facts change, I change my mind. Bold approach from these guys to do the opposite.

The ex fire chiefs that became involved in Flannery's pet political project the 'Emergency Leaders for Climate Action'? Suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome in retirement, Flannery gives them a chance to be in the limelight again. One of them (Mullins) was already on Flannery's 'Climate Council', a paid position no doubt. I'm just gutted that donations to the ELCA are tax deductible. I don't want any proportion of my hard-earned funding a political project allowing them to take jaunts overseas for conferences and speaking engagements and whatever other ideas Flannery comes up with to spend all the moolah on. What a wonderful way to spend your retirement - joining Flannery & Gleta on the great Climate change gravy train. Is it really any surprise I'm not impressed by a bunch of ex-trade unionists and public servants coming out in favour of leftist scare-filled rhetoric?

It's all political. The Chief Executive of Flannery's Climate Council (Amanda McKenzie) a former board member of the Whitlam Institute and founder of the Australian Youth Climate Coalition, the activist group that has paid for climate change protests by schoolchildren in Canberra and other capital cities.

Meanwhile organisations representing people on the front line (firefighters unions and associations) not willing to accept Flannery & Mullins "it's Climate Change wot did it", clamour for a Royal Commision to get the real answers.

Last edited:
The ex fire chiefs that became involved in Flannery's pet political project the 'Emergency Leaders for Climate Action'? Suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome in retirement, Flannery gives them a chance to be in the limelight again. One of them (Mullins) was already on Flannery's 'Climate Council', a paid position no doubt. I'm just gutted that donations to the ELCA are tax deductible. I don't want any proportion of my hard-earned funding a political project allowing them to take jaunts overseas for conferences and speaking engagements and whatever other ideas Flannery comes up with to spend all the moolah on. A beautiful post retirement gravy train.

Meanwhile organisations representing people on the front line (firefighters unions and associations) not willing to accept Flannery & Mullins "it's Climate Change wot did it", clamour for a Royal Commision to get the real answers.
Why are there so many personal attacks on these ex fire chiefs? Just because they are arguing for action on climate change?

Suddenly we just accept people trashing the reputations of people who have spent their lives saving the lives and livelihoods of others.

Why is Flannery a dirty word? Doesn't he has a masters in Earth science?

Do you disagree with their findings and their science? Or just their position?

Why are you posing it as 'it's either climate change or a royal commission'...?

Why are there so many personal attacks on these ex fire chiefs? Just because they are arguing for action on climate change?

Suddenly we just accept people trashing the reputations of people who have spent their lives saving the lives and livelihoods of others.

Why is Flannery a dirty word? Doesn't he has a masters in Earth science?

Do you disagree with their findings and their science? Or just their position?

Why are you posing it as 'it's either climate change or a royal commission'...?

Flannery has never been right about any Doomer prediction he has ever made. Wrong for 10 years on a subject he knows nothing about. Why would he, he's a mammalogist with no training in any field related to the climate yet, like the schoolgirl Greta Thunberg, you revere him as a climate prophet.

Quite apart from his spectacularly failed predictions, what about some of his wasteful wacky ideas?

In the Cooper Basin, he proposed the establishment of a fully sustainable city where, "hundreds of thousands of people would live” He named the city “Geothermia”. In 2010 the Australian government gave $90 million towards this "Geothermia" project and the PMs in that year were Kevin Rudd followed by Julia Gillard. The project was closed down 6 years later, as not financially viable. Anyone with half a brain could tell it wasn't going to work. It's mostly desert out there.

He also wanted to release sulphur into the atmosphere to block out the sun. He's a wacky, loony doomer. Still, he does make a VERY comfortable living out of predicting doom.

I don't think I've ever mentioned Flannery before that post.

It's not the first time you've jumped to his defence so I just assumed. If I'm mistaken then I'm sorry.

What is your opinion of the man then? Why do you feel the need to defend him? Do you think he's a great science communicator who is adding credence to the cause of Climate Change education?

In 2006 he said "Before 2004, the rate of melt was such that scientists believed the icecap would melt entirely by about 2100. At the trajectory set by the new rate of melt, however, there will be no Arctic icecap in the next five to 15 years." He then went on to ask his readers (in the Age) to "Picture an eight-storey building by a beach, then imagine waves lapping its roof. That's what a 25-metre rise in sea level looks like."

It's not the first time you've jumped to his defence so I just assumed. If I'm mistaken then I'm sorry.
I don't think you're sorry.
I think you just did a search of my posting history, and found that I'd never mentioned him before.
So you've looked for a different way to continue to mischaracterise me.

What is your opinion of the man then?
I don't think it matters.
Nor do I think your opinion of him matters.

I think you just did a search of my posting history, and found that I'd never mentioned him before.
So you've looked for a different way to continue to mischaracterise me.

Whilst not mentioning him by name yourself, have you or have you not responded several times in the past to posts that have mentioned the deficiencies of Flannery?

Nor do I think your opinion of him matters.

It was pretty nonsensical of you to ask me this question then wasn't it?
:arrowdown: :arrowdown: :arrowdown: :arrowdown: :arrowdown: :arrowdown: :arrowdown: :arrowdown:

Why is Flannery a dirty word?

Last edited:
You are capable of better than this.

Stating that late November bushfires is unprecedented and therefore proof of global warming is just plain wrong.

50 years ago the bushfire season started in September and ran for 4 months.

60 years ago the bushfire season started in October and ran for 3 months.

The only new thing this season is how many fires were deliberately lit. Im sure saturated media coverage had nothing to do with it....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh ffs. Kelly is a nutter.
I couldn't give a toss about climate change, I care about the bush and forest management.

What’s your take then? Are you involved in any of the fire organisations? Do you have enough people, money, time, resources? Do you have any solutions?

Stating that late November bushfires is unprecedented and therefore proof of global warming is just plain wrong.

The only new thing this season is how many fires were deliberately lit. Im sure saturated media coverage had nothing to do with it....

How many fires were deliberately lit?

Can I ask you a question.

These current bushfires, are they climate change related?

If they are, can you explain how and why.

I’m not sure anyone can argue successfully that any single bushfire is specifically climate change related, a bush fire happens for several reasons, which I’m sure you’re aware, and I’m sure you’re aware that as the planet or in our case, our country gets hotter, drier, then conditions conducive to bushfires will increase.

Do you really doubt fires are happening more often? What do you make of the numbers that say fires are happening more frequently?

Hotter summers, warmer winters, less rain all add to more fuel, more fuel that needs to be managed by a largely volunteer workforce (which is pathetic) that to my knowledge is not growing any larger. This is where imo governments have been asleep at the wheel, if you need more fuel to be burnt, more area covered, then you need more resources across the board, which isn’t happening.

Look forward to hearing you give some opinions on this, struggling to see how you are coming to some of your conclusions.

The ex fire chiefs that became involved in Flannery's pet political project the 'Emergency Leaders for Climate Action'? Suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome in retirement, Flannery gives them a chance to be in the limelight again. One of them (Mullins) was already on Flannery's 'Climate Council', a paid position no doubt. I'm just gutted that donations to the ELCA are tax deductible. I don't want any proportion of my hard-earned funding a political project allowing them to take jaunts overseas for conferences and speaking engagements and whatever other ideas Flannery comes up with to spend all the moolah on. What a wonderful way to spend your retirement - joining Flannery & Gleta on the great Climate change gravy train. Is it really any surprise I'm not impressed by a bunch of ex-trade unionists and public servants coming out in favour of leftist scare-filled rhetoric?

It's all political. The Chief Executive of Flannery's Climate Council (Amanda McKenzie) a former board member of the Whitlam Institute and founder of the Australian Youth Climate Coalition, the activist group that has paid for climate change protests by schoolchildren in Canberra and other capital cities.

You know Mullins is still a fire fighter don’t you?

And how many were deliberately lit?

What is your opinion of the man then? Why do you feel the need to defend him? Do you think he's a great science communicator who is adding credence to the cause of Climate Change education?

In 2006 he said "Before 2004, the rate of melt was such that scientists believed the icecap would melt entirely by about 2100. At the trajectory set by the new rate of melt, however, there will be no Arctic icecap in the next five to 15 years." He then went on to ask his readers (in the Age) to "Picture an eight-storey building by a beach, then imagine waves lapping its roof. That's what a 25-metre rise in sea level looks like."

If all this is true, he sounds a bit whacky, does that mean, any ex fire fighter who cares for the environment, is crazy too? I’m referring to Mullins here, who recently I’ve listened to talk many times and he doesn’t appear to be saying anything out of the ordinary, quite the opposite.

He’s been critical of government not funding the fire fighting departments, the federal government putting the burden on the states and not investing in adequate water bombing aircraft. He goes on and talks about the the fire season being longer and it being harder to do hazard reduction as the window to do so is getting smaller, the area to control is getting larger and the resources to do so are not growing with demand.

Not of what he seems to say is whacky, is PC, is left or right, it just seems like common sense, from a guy that has mountains of experience in food gating and studying fires and is highly educated.

Geez they might have to rustle up some PSOs I reckon.

Vicpolice are having us on. Full scale NYE fireworks with hundreds of RFA on standby no problem, but a small protest to urge the government to address the base of these fires... a real distraction.
If you're going to the Melbourne rally, don't forget to take your raincoat or brolly. 👍

The accuweather website is predicting some very mild weather for the upcoming month, Greenland experienced its coldest day on record recently, and Alaska also recorded its largest snowfalls on record.

Could we be seeing the Maunder Minimum kicking in?

1578519209287.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back