Opinion Cloke Megathread 2 - Plan B's, Contract Talks on hold till end of season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piss him off.

Over rated money hungry spud.

I for one will be glad when his gone so we don't have to hear from him or his stupid dad ever again.

Tell your son he would be very wise to knock back an extra 1.5 million dollars over five years, dont even try to negotiate for a better deal ..we know you love the club your with and that my son matters more than anything money can buy. Son I am a wise man listen to me its the best solution, dont negotiate, just take the lesser amount and stay. Ask Judd ask Scully and then ask Ablett... they will tell you its a big mistake to take the money and run.
This is what the club is up against...... and people should realize. If we want Travis more than Freo and more than Melbourne we have to be very close with the offer and then with promises of bigger and better things long term after football than what any other club can offer.

I don't care any which way people want to spin this. The bottom line is that Cloke is a greedy prick who has done his level best to derail our season. He's in poor form and splitting the club at the seams.

In my opinion he is not even worth what we have reportedly offered him. The jerk thinks he is worth in excess of $800k a year and is prepared to wreck our season for a few dollars more. I appreciate he is well within his rights but that doesn't mean any of us have to like it. I'm betting his team mates are less than impressed.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of typical smartarse comments on social media by our players about Cloke lately?? When it was Daisy, Swanny, Pendles etc in negotiations the ribbing was relentless because the players knew they would stay.

I applaud the club for how they have handled this impossible situation.They seem to have drawn a line in the sand and this will stand them in good stead for the future. Sign everyone else up and start planning for the future, most likely without Judas.

I personally hate Cloke for this. I can't condone his greed and disloyalty to his team mates and the club I love. I hate that he is destroying our chances for a flag this year and all or a few dollars more.

I would be absolutely dark if he went to Carlton along with Malthouse and won a flag in the next couple of years. How the f..k it all falls into place for the known cheats has got me stuffed. That's of course, if he is going.
I hope he goes there. He is a good fit at that cesspool.

Time to stick him in the ruck when Jolly rests and make him earn his money. I'd never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if Travis did a PCL in this situation.

I am really hoping (fingers crossed) that he agreed with GWS at the start of the year, and that this has all been a ruse to keep them out of the headlines, this means we would get 2 first round picks for him, even though GWS may be thinking that they can take Cloke as a free agent and not as one of the uncontracted players (a loophole I am not sure the AFL has considered) meaning we get less compensation. This would tie in with a "we just offered him a contract at the end of the year" line GWS could go with if they did indeed end up with him.

I doubt it is a ruse, but stranger things have happened.

On the loophole, I reckon the fact that GWS is a start-up club, logically, should trump the fact Trav is a free agent, but the AFL has found multiple ways to fcuk us in the past - hands in the back change (Clement), interchange (highest rotators) and vets list (can't put guns on 1/2 wages, but Cats can retain their list of ageing geriatrics for years).

Also, isn't Gubby running the show for GWS. You can't trust anything him and Sheedy might cook up. That said, they have already a plethora of talent, but would have space to heavily frontload a Cloke contract. Haven't signed up any mega-stars to date that will be bursting the bank. Still, don't see that as happening, although would be the preferred option.

Best would be Cloke staying but the distance seem intractable to me now. Wouldn't boo him either, I'd save that up for a situation in which he definitely had transferred.

If the Visy deal is extended and he ends up at Carlton, I'd be utterly ropable. Could see Melbourne making a big play, but what a waste of a career. Would all be cynically geared toward boosting their flaccid membership, nothing more or less. You can't pay 2 key forwards close to 2 million a season and have any hope of success.

Don't laugh - pies should get fev on a 1 yr absolute minimum salary deal

1. Behavioral clauses to the hilt
2. Have him train away from or separately to westpac

Better than Cloke, comes cheap as chips, preserve salary cap and can still hunt a gun player

Tell your son he would be very wise to knock back an extra 1.5 million dollars over five years, dont even try to negotiate for a better deal ..we know you love the club your with and that my son matters more than anything money can buy. Son I am a wise man listen to me its the best solution, dont negotiate, just take the lesser amount and stay. Ask Judd ask Scully and then ask Ablett... they will tell you its a big mistake to take the money and run.
This is what the club is up against...... and people should realize. If we want Travis more than Freo and more than Melbourne we have to be very close with the offer and then with promises of bigger and better things long term after football than what any other club can offer.

Let freo and whoever wants him take him... He isnt worth what buddy franklin and other forwards who can actually do alot more than mark are worth... dont get me wrong I understand he is an elite mark and at his best a very good foward, but, for him and his camp to have the nerve to hold our club to ransom is a joke...

I mean seriously, HOW can a guy who has kicked 35 goals this season and barely influenced most games honestly think he is worth more than what buddy, riewoldt and to a lesser extent petrie, walker and kennedy arent getting paid? and can anyone catergorically say that cloke is clearly a better player overall than the aforementioned players? The poor guy and his family are deluded... I hope Freo, Carlton, Melbourne
or whoever is dumb enough to give him 1.1 mill gets him.... If we, internally, valued him as highly as the poachers did we'd keep him... all along bucks has said we will retain the players we really want.

Don't laugh - pies should get fev on a 1 yr absolute minimum salary deal

1. Behavioral clauses to the hilt
2. Have him train away from or separately to westpac

Better than Cloke, comes cheap as chips, preserve salary cap and can still hunt a gun player
Please go away

The other thread has reached a thousand posts so it's installment 2 of this saga.

Please try and keep any new Cloke discussion to this thread.

Cheers.

At the current rate you'll be creating a new one of these threads every week.

I wonder if things will quieten down after today's announcement?

Fev is a cancer and we would be foolish to touch him but right now, Travis is as big as a cancer as Fev has ever been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally hate Cloke for this. I can't condone his greed and disloyalty to his team mates and the club I love. I hate that he is destroying our chances for a flag this year and all or a few dollars more.
You have every right to feel this way right now, I'm just wondering what happens if he performs out of his skin and guides us to another flag? Will you still hate him? And then the question what if he stays? You can have this strong opinion, it's just there is plenty of water to go under the bridge and none of us are privy to everything that has gone on in the preceeding months.

Fev is a cancer and we would be foolish to touch him but right now, Travis is as big as a cancer as Fev has ever been.

You dont think the whole cloke saga has become a cancer at our club? Not cloke personally, as im sure he is a nice kid, but seriously, this is destablising our club.. If he cared he'd put pen to paper or inform us of his intention to leave and get on with finishing offf with a bang.

Judd and Ablett are better off now than they were in there old clubs.

Explain why Judd would say its a mistake -------------

Explain why Ablett would say its a mistake --------------
Possibly because both would have a very good chance at a premiership in the next few years if still at there old clubs. Monetarily better off no doubt. :thumbsdown:

Good move by the club. Once the others are signed, the club will know a lot more about how much cash they have to play with. Some players may have already informed the club that depending on how they pull up at the end of the year will decide whether they'll play on for another 12 months. Who knows how much Caff and Krak want at the end of the year? It could free up some cash.
If we signed the others and gave Cloke enough to stay, will people be shitty that we have overpaid for him?

If the club knows that he is definitely gone, try him at FF/2nd Ruck and let Dawes take his role at CHF. See how that goes for a couple of weeks.

You have every right to feel this way right now, I'm just wondering what happens if he performs out of his skin and guides us to another flag? Will you still hate him? And then the question what if he stays? You can have this strong opinion, it's just there is plenty of water to go under the bridge and none of us are privy to everything that has gone on in the preceeding months.
As far as I see it the club have given Cloke a chance to perform and justify his price tag...then they will talk and re-negotiate what that acutally is.

A father whose interests for his son are purely based on the money he earns, is a poor father. How about happiness for your son?

In 1983, David Cloke, the Richmond club captain defected to Collingwood for more money. It was an act of sheer treachery and greed, and shattered the hearts of the Tiger faithful.

30 years later, like father like son. What needs to be understood here is that the Clokes have little care for loyalty. Their family is their loyalty.

As this saga rolls on, it's looking like Travis is set to follow Malthouse to Carlton next year.

Such is life. Focus on keeping the players that want to stay instead.

In 1983, David Cloke, the Richmond club captain defected to Collingwood for more money. It was an act of sheer treachery and greed, and shattered the hearts of the Tiger faithful.

20 years later, like father like son. What needs to be understood here is that the Clokes have little care for loyalty. Their family is their loyalty.

As this saga rolls on, it's looking like Travis is set to follow Malthouse to Carlton next year.

Such is life. Focus on keeping the players that want to stay instead.

Post of the night :thumbsu:

How could the club look Pendles, Daisy, Swan, Bally and Beams in the eye if they gave into Clokes demands after they all took payouts that the club has said was necessary.

Compensation will be a 1st round draft pick if we obtain no other Free agent. Where that draft pick is remains to be seen? At a guess I'd' say mid 1st round pick. Ie pick after all non finalists have had a pick. In saying that given the AFL changed the compensation from the expansion team comp which provided up to 2 1st round picks as band one comp, I could see the AFL awarding a top 10 pick for a guy that will get paid $1M a year for 5 years.

Eade refusing to talk about it on fox

he is gone methinks and the club has moved on

The club's press release specifically says that they will not be making any further comment on the matter.

Eade (and all other Collingwood personnel) will know that their balls will be roasted if they say tidily boo about the Cloke contract before the end of season.

Interesting development this and 100% backing for me.

A lot depends though on who is driving this, I really hope the Club has said to him 'You know what Travis, **** it, it's all off until the end of the year. Let your football do the talking and prove to the club and supporters that the money you wish us to part with, coupled with the risk of Contract length and possibility of losing quality players due salary cap pressure is all worth it. You want $800k a season then you make us deliver this with your performances on field. If no, the **** off and struggle at another club whilst we lock players away who wish to where the black and white for premiership glory and not greed.

Good decision for mine, but god help this prick if we lose players like Dayne Beams and Reid over this selfish prick!

This could all really backfire on Cloke and god I hope it does.....

Much ado about nothing, sign at years end - carry on

I like your optimism, but what's the basis for it?

Would you say the money issue is the sticking point? All logical deductions scream shit yes. It can't be culture, facilities, premiership chances, post career options.

Given that's the case and that the cap is not about to expand through some last minute AFL dispensation, what can possibly change here? The sticking point is money and it's clear as elephant balls.

The club I don't think is playing chicken here. Pert couldn't have been more clear about a deflationary policy where other matters as mentioned above will have to do. He was saying this on ANZAC Day LAST YEAR! It's hardly a bolt from the blue. The only thing that might change is the Cloke perspective, the club is right against the wall cap-wise, where can they go from here in $'s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back