Clubs fined for breach of Covid protocols

Remove this Banner Ad

I highly doubt the Swans have copped a $100 000 fine for a few of their reserves missing a Wednesday RAT test. It's obvious that a competitive advantage has been gained, to what extent, who knows. The AFL simply have no way of determining how much of an advantage and therefore just go for a blanket nothing to see here statement about it.

Exactly.

As has been said, this isn’t a ‘Who cares, COVID isn’t real and I’m one of those dickheads that fill every FB comments section’ issue….this is simply a rule that had a major impact on other teams because they actually followed the rules, did the testing and sat players out.

‘Ha-ha your team sucks so you are unhappy’

Well yeah, my team had a game where we had something like 13 miss under this rule and we had semi professionals filling spots in a totally compromised game.
What if that had only been 5 players out because only half the players bothered to test or had submitted a dummy because they ‘felt fine’.

We’d have been a much better chance to win, which impacts draft order, percentages etc etc.

If Sydney have actually actively tried to circumvent the rules to gain an advantage then that’s a load of s**t and unfair on the other clubs, whether you ‘believe’ in the rules or not.

I highly doubt the Swans have copped a $100 000 fine for a few of their reserves missing a Wednesday RAT test. It's obvious that a competitive advantage has been gained, to what extent, who knows. The AFL simply have no way of determining how much of an advantage and therefore just go for a blanket nothing to see here statement about it.

I wouldn't at all doubt it. I'm assuming the size of the fine is based on the number of breaches, not the severity of the breaches, or else the AFL wouldn't have gone out of their way to confirm there was no competitive advantage attained.

I do think it would be in the competition's best interests to be fully transparent on the nature of the breaches so this sort of speculation can be put to rest.

Meh, not fussed, in 12 months no one is even going to care about some COVID thing. As if the AFL didn't see this coming, clubs in the race to the finals ALWAYS lets just say bend the rules to the highest degree they can get away with. Meh take the fine, poor diadems just means we won't appeal one case next year lol

What the Swans did was not bending the rules, it was blatant cheating, removed the risk of players being stood down for COVID while other teams had to do that.

Last edited:
What the Swans did was not bending the rules, it was blatant cheating, removed the risk of players being stood down for COVID while other teams had to do that.

No one even knows who it involved could have been the canteen lady jeez! Meh who cares, the footy is the main thing anyway. Not fussed at all.

How is that relevant? It's just uncorrelated numbers.

How many more deaths related to Covid in 2020, 2021 and 2022 compared to 2019?

My sister was one of them. She wasn't dead in 2019. I find your comment a disgraceful disrespect to those people who did die.
I'm sorry for the loss of your sister, did she die from Covid?

Geewiz I love footy and footy games, and equally, I despise the AFL authority and their manipulations.

I suspect if there was clear evidence of a team getting an advantage, the AFL would have more likely buried the story altogether and imposed sanctions on the quiet and we'd be none the wiser.

It also brings into question whether a club was playing a player(s) who was positive, who then passed it on to an opposition player, who then missed games due to HS protocols.
This is much bigger than the AFL would like to have people believe.
It is, but everyone has had enough of COVID, so everyone will be happy to let it be forgotten. Kinda surprised the AFL even bothered to go public with it.

I mean it depends. If the test missed was on a Wednesday, but the Tuesday and Thursday tests were fine, then there's no issue.

If the players who missed their tests were injured, or played ressies, again no competitive advantage (at least not at senior level).

It's only a competitive advantage issue if a player played a senior game under a COVID test that was fraudulent. Given the nature of the audit, you would think that would be the first thing they'd check when looking at the timings of these tests. And given that they have ruled out competitive advantage, you can presume that none of the compliance issues affected game day availability.
And you trust the AFL to give full disclosure on a matter like this, concerning 3-4 top 8 teams, on the eve of finals?
As if!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Covid has been the AFLs biggest threat for 3 seasons now, leading to special testing/isolation rules and a mandatory vaccine policy that cost some players their careers and would certainly have forced others to get it against their will. And now 5 clubs break the rules and it's only worth a fine with half suspended? GTFO, you can't have it both ways.

Still waiting for Caraline Wilson to call for the players to be suspended, like she did when adelaide players kicked the ball together for 8 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back