Remove this Banner Ad

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
In 2024, where you live in Melbourne has little effect on who you support. But when teams played in their suburban home grounds and had local recruitment zones, it was the number one factor that affected who you support. On the other hand, this old article that no longer has its interactive map shows that the historic geographic boundaries continue to be significant. Additionally, I think AFLW suburban footy may help reinforce the old geographic factors into the future.

I've had a go at delineating traditional boundaries of support in Melbourne:

1708296579276.png

This is based off this idea that I saw fro football teams in London:

football_map.jpg

My attempt is very rough, and done in a very unscientific manner. Constructive feedback, or indeed attempts to do a better job would be greatly appreciated. What have I got wrong? I realise there's a sense of "disputed territory" that I've failed to capture.

SA and WA people, I'd love to see equivalents for the SANFL and WAFL.

When I was a boy growing up in Kew that area, out through Balwyn and Donvale wasn't solid but had more Pies than anything else: "traditionally" Hawthorn had no supporters, I'm talking less than Fitzroy. Preston was pretty solid Collingwood too, but we had a ridiculous base everywhere.

it's why North has traditionally had a small supporter base. The North Melb/Flemington area was basically an industrial area with little population.

it's why North has traditionally had a small supporter base. The North Melb/Flemington area was basically an industrial area with little population.

Yes and because we were the last team to win a premiership. Richmond also was in a heavily industrial and low/socio economic area but stacks of premierships helps. Admittedly Richmond is a larger area was always more densely populated.

I'd also say this map is a bit generous to North.

That’s fair. I accept that. North of the racetrack Essendon are dominant. We have the smallest supporter base in the state. On the other hand I do know for a fact that three of the four most common suburbs for North Melbourne members to live in are Kensington, Flemington and North Melbourne - the other interestingly being Werribee.

When I was a boy growing up in Kew that area, out through Balwyn and Donvale wasn't solid but had more Pies than anything else: "traditionally" Hawthorn had no supporters, I'm talking less than Fitzroy. Preston was pretty solid Collingwood too, but we had a ridiculous base everywhere.

Collingwood are the biggest sporting team in the nation so there’s going to be a pretty strong presence nearly everywhere you go.

My experience though is that those northern suburbs (north of the Eastern Freeway/Yarra) - Northcote, Thornbury, out to Reservoir and Bundoora - are so Collingwood dominant that it’s ridiculous.

Yes and because we were the last team to win a premiership. Richmond also was in a heavily industrial and low/socio economic area but stacks of premierships helps. Admittedly Richmond is a larger area was always more densely populated.

That’s fair. I accept that. North of the racetrack Essendon are dominant. We have the smallest supporter base in the state. On the other hand I do know for a fact that three of the four most common suburbs for North Melbourne members to live in are Kensington, Flemington and North Melbourne - the other interestingly being Werribee.

The other relevant factor for the 'early days' is where the VFA teams were, particularly the bigger ones, and where the train/tram lines went.

The VFL might have taken most of the bigger teams, but a lot of people would have still supported their local (VFA) side, not least because they could get to see them more easily.

This would have been a major factor up until the 50s or 60s. Urban sprawl, television, and cars making things less so...As well as making the location less relevant generally.

Collingwood are the biggest sporting team in the nation so there’s going to be a pretty strong presence nearly everywhere you go.

My experience though is that those northern suburbs (north of the Eastern Freeway/Yarra) - Northcote, Thornbury, out to Reservoir and Bundoora - are so Collingwood dominant that it’s ridiculous.
As I say I grew up in Kew, people liked footy and the Pies were big (it got zoned to the Hawks though).

However I bought in Preston and as you say it's really solid out here, well over 50%.

I walk to the team with my scarf on and people yell support out of passing cars.

There's a streak of Carlton like that in Brunswick, or there was years ago when I drank in the pubs that way, and there's still a big Bomber wedge out from Ascot Vale through Fawkner, I see decorated houses out that way like the Mad Pie ones here.

I worked at Essendon at the turn of the century. At that time, and this would be the case today, Essendon’s supporter base in Melbourne was actually bigger in the east than the North West. In the NW region it had strong highly concentrated areas including Essendon, Strathmore, Aberfeldy, Moonie Ponds, Tullamarine, Keillor etc. however, its base was larger, but less concentrated in the east of Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back