Coach Coaching Options

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s fair enough mate. You have your opinion I have mine. I think he was severely mistreated and used as a scapegoat at the bombers.
What is wrong with you???? “ That’s fair enough mate”. That’s not how we respond to someone who has a different opinion to us on this forum! You go down that path and it’s a slippery slope to discussion and open exchange of ideas. This is exactly how nazi germany started.

Bevo isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

The board is under his thumb.

He is best mates with Luke Darcy.
There is no way this board moves on Bev especially after they ticked off a 2 year extension

The bigger reason they won’t move him is because they haven’t got the b***s to do it, the stomach for it and they are incompetent.

We need an outsider to come in and start to uproot the whole board and football department

Would take him in a development/leadership role in a heartbeat

There is no way this board moves on Bev especially after they ticked off a 2 year extension

The bigger reason they won’t move him is because they haven’t got the b***s to do it, the stomach for it and they are incompetent.

We need an outsider to come in and start to uproot the whole board and football department
I think it is time to get Susan Alberti back to the club and bye bye Disney CEO

She is Patron of the Prime Ministers' Sporting Oration (PMSO)[12] a leadership initiative highlighted by a speech delivered by a former occupant of Australia's highest office. The inaugural PMSO was delivered by Julia Gillard, Australia's 27th Prime Minister, at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on 21 November.[13]

In June 2019 Alberti became a Victoria Day Council Trustee.[citation needed] She was re-appointed to the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission Advisory Board for a further three years in July 2020.[14]

In March 2020 Alberti was named by the Herald Sun as one of the top 20 most influential women in sport for 2020.[15] In October 2020 she was named as one of the 30 most influential Victorians from the last 30 years.[16]

Alberti is Chair of the Susan Alberti Medical Research Foundation and the Victoria University Foundation and is a Director at the Western Health and Western Bulldogs Forever Foundations.[17]

She continues to support Victoria University where the inaugural Susan Alberti Women in Sport Chair was established in 2018 with VU’s Professor Clare Hanlon taking the inaugural position.[18]

In May 2022, Alberti became the inaugural Chair of the Australian Centre for Accelerating Diabetes Innovations Council.[19]

I know a board member personally. I don't get any inside info etc but let me assure you that they are right under Beveridge's thumb.

He is a Messiah and has too much power.
I have no insider info but agree that there is no way he leaves. The only way he leaves this season is if he chooses to or does something not too dissimilar to last year with Tom Morris. They have just extended his contract and no one that did would want to pull the trigger now because that would put them in a hot seat as to why they extended him in the first place. Bevo provides cover for them.

Whoever it is, any new coach would be licking their lips.

Great KP talent, both mature and developing.
An out and out superstar or two. Core group of experienced players ready for rejuvenation.

Could easily see a new coach bringing in a new game plan and having both immediate and sustained success.

We need a list clean out and to need to find another midfielder or two, but there's nothing blocking a new coach from turning this mess around quickly if they can implement a better playing style.

I have no insider info but agree that there is no way he leaves. The only way he leaves this season is if he chooses to or does something not too dissimilar to last year with Tom Morris. They have just extended his contract and no one that did would want to pull the trigger now because that would put them in a hot seat as to why they extended him in the first place. Bevo provides cover for them.
Agreed.

People thinking the board /CEO will sack Bevo this year haven't read the room.

The players loved Steven King & Ash Hansen.

Why did they both leave within weeks of each of other ? This is after making GF mind you.

Hansen apparently wanted a head coaching job & thought moving clubs would improve his chances. However last year GWS & Essendon both asked him to interview for the head coaching job and he declined. Sometimes is clearly suss.

I know a board member personally. I don't get any inside info etc but let me assure you that they are right under Beveridge's thumb.

If this is true? Do they not realise they need to keep an eye on him and oversee his work? He holds THE most important role in the football club, and it is up to his immediate supervisors, then the board to make him accountable.

An out and out superstar or two. Core group of experienced players ready for rejuvenation.

Could easily see a new coach bringing in a new game plan and having both immediate and sustained success.

We need a list clean out and to need to find another midfielder or two, but there's nothing blocking a new coach from turning this mess around quickly if they can implement a better playing style.
100% agree, a turn around would be quick. So long as we start the process now because if we allow the rot to set in before we jump it may be a case of too little too late and will then take a full clean out and some big names shipping off.

The list is by no means perfect, but considering where it’s at compared to most clubs looking for a new coach - a new fresh coach with fresh ideas would do wonders with this team in a short time IMO

I just want the spark and enjoyment back in footy, I said to my mate last night in the 3rd qtr I’m leaving at 3qtr time and he said yeah but what if we win from here it’s a bit risky, and honestly I didn’t care. I couldn’t have cared less if we won from there and I missed it - I get no enjoyment from this footy club at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heard Dean Solomon interviewed. Very very impressive. Really good. Talked a lot about the importance of culture.

We'll see how many kool aid drinkers are left when the good players on the list start shopping around. I kinda fee for Bont, glad he helped us to a flag, but had he gone to Richmond he'd no doubt have 4 flags (after the 16), a normie and charlie. The more and more time goes on the more this looks like the 54 to 61 troubles and post all over again.

List mismanaged, golden opportunities pissed away.

So, Yze, with assistants Boyd and Cotchin.

I would also be happy if it was Caracella.

Yeah.
Caracella really really loves Blake Caracella

The players loved Steven King & Ash Hansen.

Why did they both leave within weeks of each of other ? This is after making GF mind you.

Hansen apparently wanted a head coaching job & thought moving clubs would improve his chances. However last year GWS & Essendon both asked him to interview for the head coaching job and he declined. Sometimes is clearly suss.
Of our current and former assistants, the most positive comments I've heard are about Hansen and Webb. Corey as well.

This is a result business and clearly we are a bottom 4 team with about 5 to 6 wins. I have been a fan of Bevo but the stench has started and he must go along with Grant. I would like us to get Justin Leppitsch as our next coach. Ok, he did not succeed at the lions first time but has been at the tigers and pies during successful times and sounded very savvy when in the media. A hard nose football manager not sure who plus some recently retired players as assistant coaches.

Last edited:
This is a result business and clearly we are a bottom 4 team with about 5 to 6 wins. I have been a fan of Bevo but the stench has started and he must go along with Grant. I would like us to get Justin Leppitsch as our next coach. Ok, he did not succeed at the lions first time but has been at the tigers and pies during successful times and sounded very savvy when in the media. A hard nose football manager not sure who plus some recently retired players as assistant coaches.
Since 1990, only 4 coaches have won flags at a second club - Parkin in 95, Blight in 97/98, Matthews in 01/02/03 and Malthouse in 10.

Before them there are Barassi and Jeans, then back to Hughes in the 1930s and Worrall at Essendon in 1912.

Plenty of premiership coaches have moved elsewhere and failed to win a flag.

Also since 1990, 24 of 33 flags have been won by coaches at their first club.

History is against Leppitsch. And Cameron. And Lyon, Clarkson, Brad Scott and Voss for that matter.

Leppitsch would be my choice.

My only question would be if he is obsessed with coaching ? Senior coaching requires long hours and a manic obsession. He has talked about not enjoying the mundane taks of coaching.

Let's not kid ourselves though - this board will not sack Bevo even we finish the season on 3 wins .

Sorry but I can't agree at all.

Watched the players closely once things went to sh1t over the last 2 weeks and they are a bunch of lazy prima donnas who want it on their terms only.
Too few are prepared to put the team ahead of themselves.

The polar opposite of the Collingwood Football Club.

If I was in the coaches' shoes this week I'd drop at least 6 and up to 10, including a couple of big names who are playing on reputation only.

Since 1990, only 4 coaches have won flags at a second club - Parkin in 95, Blight in 97/98, Matthews in 01/02/03 and Malthouse in 10.

Before them there are Barassi and Jeans, then back to Hughes in the 1930s and Worrall at Essendon in 1912.

Plenty of premiership coaches have moved elsewhere and failed to win a flag.

Also since 1990, 24 of 33 flags have been won by coaches at their first club.

History is against Leppitsch. And Cameron. And Lyon, Clarkson, Brad Scott and Voss for that matter.

Currently 3 coaches at second their second club Voss, Lion and Scott or 16.6%
4 flags from 33 years is 12.1%
or if you count multiple premierships 7 flags in 33 years is 21.2%

So, if the current situation is about the average amount of coaches at their second club per season the amount flags by won by second year coaches since 1990 is o/k.

If the team hasn't improved by mid-season I will think the board and bevo will have a look at changes and if bevo should call his time as coach. Bevo won't leave unless it's right for him to. Would the board think it's better to see the year out and miss finals to reload on high draftees considering there is an obvious lack of depth in a few areas atm. Duryea, Crozier, Bruce all cooked. Macrae, Libba, JJ nearing the end. Smith not improving. Treloar injury problems. Mclean no longer able to perform as the player he was before his ACL's.

Any new coach would look at the list and will see the problems. What can the new coach do? renewed energy maybe. I don't think the game plan will necessary be better though. It already suits dogs strengths.

As for who could replace bevo. Yze probably the front runner. Williams a no go. Is unable to coach at the top anymore. Cameron maybe. Maybe Leppi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back