News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm you’re right.

Can understand gc reluctantly overpaying for Weller though

Cannot if they do the same for McGovern
Wouldn’t be as bad if it releases Francou at the same time -need some good assistants that Dew can work with more than we need a kid from the draft

Hmm you’re right.

Can understand gc reluctantly overpaying for Weller though

Cannot if they do the same for McGovern
There's not going to be a high pick traded. The Road to the Draft podcast this week features Kall Burns, Suns Recruiting Manager. Worth a listen because while he plays a straight bat on most things, he gives a pretty good insight into the values and practices that the club holds highest when it comes to recruitment. Whether it is the influence of Dew or perhaps he's the best coach to embody those traits, it is very clear that they are only going to bringing high character players into the club. I don't know if Mitch McGovern fits that profile, but Lachie Weller certainly does and that is evident in the podcast.

17 is definitely appropriate value. I’d even go a bit further and give 17 + a 41 if that interested them and he wanted to come.
Absolutely not. You wouldn't even get to the end of the sentence before the Crows said no.

If you got four or five for May, the Crows would consider McGovern and a pick for that.

But don't insult them with a s**t offer for a contracted player.

Absolutely not. You wouldn't even get to the end of the sentence before the Crows said no.

If you got four or five for May, the Crows would consider McGovern and a pick for that.

If may's value is 4 or 5 mcgovern is definitely mid to late 1st. Is yet to prove himself. At a certain point you cant trade based on potential.

The contract part means jack when he has walked out. That’s not going to hold any value.

I doubt you'll find any non-Adelaide supporter that thinks he's worth more than pick 15 - 18.
Yes, he's contracted
Yes, you'd rather keep him
Yes, he has potential
but where it stands, he's at best a 35 goal a year 3rd or 4th tall forward with paper hamstrings, and he's walked out on the club.
the demand in the market for him isn't what you guys think it is. and I doubt you'll get what you're after pick wise.

All of this is moot though, because he wants to move to Victoria, as he and his management have said 100 times including on trade radio.

If I were Adelaide I'd throw 7 and Mcgovern to St. Kilda for picks 4 and 21.

If may's value is 4 or 5 mcgovern is definitely mid to late 1st. Is yet to prove himself. At a certain point you cant trade based on potential.
That is literally all a draft pick is. None of them have won any games of AFL football off their own boot.

The contract part means jack when he has walked out. That’s not going to hold any value.
What the hell are you talking about? That is absolutely the opposite of what a contract means.

He will play for us for the next two years if we don't do a trade. It is exactly the same as Bryce Gibbs. Players are discussed in trades every year that don't happen.

There is absolutely zero reason for the Crows to trade a contracted and required player for anything less than exactly what we want.

What the hell are you talking about? That is absolutely the opposite of what a contract means.

He will play for us for the next two years if we don't do a trade. It is exactly the same as Bryce Gibbs. Players are discussed in trades every year that don't happen.

There is absolutely zero reason for the Crows to trade a contracted and required player for anything less than exactly what we want.
I don't think GC into Mitch anymore , Colin young stated that two wA club and Two Victoria club , so no need waste each other time .

I doubt you'll find any non-Adelaide supporter that thinks he's worth more than pick 15 - 18.
Yes, he's contracted
Yes, you'd rather keep him
Yes, he has potential
but where it stands, he's at best a 35 goal a year 3rd or 4th tall forward with paper hamstrings, and he's walked out on the club.
the demand in the market for him isn't what you guys think it is. and I doubt you'll get what you're after pick wise.

All of this is moot though, because he wants to move to Victoria, as he and his management have said 100 times including on trade radio.

If I were Adelaide I'd throw 7 and Mcgovern to St. Kilda for picks 4 and 21.
I'd maybe do that, tbh.

That being said - it doesn't matter how much others want to pay for an asset of ours. It matters what we want to sell it for. We either agree on a price or we don't.

Plus - he wants an extra trade for money and to be one of the key talls in a forward line. He's not a third tall.

I'd maybe do that, tbh.

That being said - it doesn't matter how much others want to pay for an asset of ours. It matters what we want to sell it for. We either agree on a price or we don't.

Plus - he wants an extra trade for money and to be one of the key talls in a forward line. He's not a third tall.
That’s what I mean though, people aren’t going to ruin their draft hands for McGovern. If Adelaide rate him as highly as a top 10 pick you’re better off just keeping him.
I also don’t buy that he’s leaving for money. He’s on very good pay at Adelaide. His management said on the air that he wanted to go to Victoria only.
He’s also only 190 cm. Not exactly KPF height.

That’s what I mean though, people aren’t going to ruin their draft hands for McGovern. If Adelaide rate him as highly as a top 10 pick you’re better off just keeping him.
I also don’t buy that he’s leaving for money. He’s on very good pay at Adelaide. His management said on the air that he wanted to go to Victoria only.
Taylor Walker is only 192cm. McGovern clearly plays as a mobile, contested marking tall.

He's leaving for money. Freo offered him $750k, he signed for $550k with Adelaide when we said that's all we had, and he was pissed that we then signed Gibbs (even though Gibbs is actually earning less, and we signed Gibbs after Lever and Cameron opened up more salary cap).

There's nothing else to be upset about. His partner is doing a course in Melbourne that's unavailable in Adelaide and Perth.

Taylor Walker is only 192cm. McGovern clearly plays as a mobile, contested marking tall.

He's leaving for money. Freo offered him $750k, he signed for $550k with Adelaide when we said that's all we had, and he was pissed that we then signed Gibbs (even though Gibbs is actually earning less, and we signed Gibbs after Lever and Cameron opened up more salary cap).

There's nothing else to be upset about. His partner is doing a course in Melbourne that's unavailable in Adelaide and Perth.
I can’t speak to his actual motives but I just can’t imagine he’d have re-signed at all if he was just after money and had that offer, it makes no sense. Fremantle has also come out and said he’s not interested in coming to them or WA and if he was just after money, surely he’d just say, I’ll take you up on the offer you gave last season rather than ‘I want to move to Victoria’.

Clubs rarely tell the full story and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if something had happened that isn’t public knowledge. You obviously know a lot more about your club than I do but that doesn’t add up at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would you say Jack Darling is a KPF?

More of a second or 3rd tall - it’s splitting hairs but regardless, McGovern would not do very well as the main target
Say that about Darling on the WestCoast board you'd be laughed out of town.

Re Mcgovern not doing well as main target, thats opinion. I personally agree on the available info, but until he tries its impossible to say for sure... its not like hes had the opportunity to be the main man at Adelaide with Walker/Jenkins/Lynch already running around there.
If you'd tried to get his brother after his debut season, you would have thought your were recruiting a below average to potentially above average Key forward. and he ended up being All Australian Key Defender.

Thats opinion. i agree. but until he tries its impossible to say for sure... its not like hes had the opportunity to be the main man at Adelaide with Walker/Jenkins/Lynch already running around there.
If you'd tried to get his brother after his debut season, you would have thought your were recruiting a below average to potentially above average Key forward. and he ended up being All Australian Key Defender.
Aye but this isn’t his debut season, he’s going to be 25 next year, he averages less than 1.5 goals a game over his career with his best season being 32 goals, and he’s always injured. While i’d certainly take him if we had him, he’s not worth the money he’s on nor what Adelaide are demanding for him

55 players kicked more goals per game than McGovern this year. just a few of them that have performed better that aren't worth a top 10 pick:
Brody Mihocek
Tim Membrey
Mason Wood
Shaun McKernan
Josh Thomas
Mitch Hannan
Jack Lonie
Dean Kent
Jake Melksham
James Steward
Josh Schache
Billy Gowers
Mitch Brown
Alex Sexton
Jeff Garlett
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Jaimie Cripps

Last edited:
I don’t think we ever were, it was one rogue journo
Pick 17/18 is ok for me , but top 10 pick and 700k a year just too much . Josh Corbett type at 1.90m cost less than 100k a year. I know people talk about salary cap need to be use but I rather give it to 2mp ,swallow , Miller type than just one player .

Aye but this isn’t his debut season, he’s going to be 25 next year, he averages less than 1.5 goals a game over his career with his best season being 32 goals, and he’s always injured. While i’d certainly take him if we had him, he’s not worth the money he’s on nor what Adelaide are demanding for him

55 players kicked more goals per game than McGovern this year. just a few of them that have performed better that aren't worth a top 10 pick:
Brody Mihocek
Tim Membrey
Mason Wood
Shaun McKernan
Josh Thomas
Mitch Hannan
Jack Lonie
Dean Kent
Jake Melksham
James Steward
Josh Schache
Billy Gowers
Mitch Brown
Alex Sexton
Jeff Garlett
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Jaimie Cripps

Sexton is priceless!

Sexton is priceless!
Before this season started there were a lot of Sexton haters on this Forum and I copped plenty when I put him in my best 22. By Round 2 there were fans jumping on Sexton bandwagon like never before. As one long time Board contributor observed at the time "Sexton is prototypical of Dew's forward defensive plans". I would rather Sexton to McGovern any day of the week.

Before this season started there were a lot of Sexton haters on this Forum and I copped plenty when I put him in my best 22. By Round 2 there were fans jumping on Sexton bandwagon like never before. As one long time Board contributor observed at the time "Sexton is prototypical of Dew's forward defensive plans". I would rather Sexton to McGovern any day of the week.
I’m still not convinced

Sexton need to be consistent , there are not many players that can give him competition this year . ( Hebron , Dawson , Powell)
1) Ah Chee more a half back
2) Ainsworth Dual role and injuries
3) Martin playing everywhere

Sexton's first half of the season was pretty horrid. Typical of him where he'd have a blinding game one week and then a month of s**t straight after. If he can play like he did in the second half of the season all year in 2019 then I'm well and truly on board.

Has all the tools to be an amazing player, and I think when we become a strong team overall, he's the sort of player that will benefit the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back